Premier 1 driver reported to FAA by "pilot"

Who said there had to be a point to a post.

Well I assumed you were trying to insult me why else would you respond as you did at all? Insults typically have a point they are trying to make.

I'm about done with this thread. I'm pretty sure I'm largely just repeating myself at this point and I've got other things to do than to go another 20 rounds over this. How about a nice game of chess? Or lets debate the merits of "<single base-color> <model aircraft>" vs using your N number as a your identifier in radio calls, I feel like its been a hot moment or two since we've had that debate on here.

I don't really follow a lot of aviation youtube channels. I find a few of the videos interesting, most of them less so. Sometimes it's interesting so see how other pilots handle things I've never done before and how they do it. Sometimes it's neat to see things I'll probably never do. If they can make a few bucks on it or get some minor notoriety why not? I don't see the issue, if you don't like it don't watch.

this-thread-delivers

most of these guys on YouTube are more about look at me, look what I do
It's gotten worse. I've had to recultivate my subscribe list because of that.. Steveo1Kinevo is about the only aviator I can tolerate at this point.. there are plenty of educational non aviation channels out there that are loads of fun to watch.. with 1M+ subscribers and yet they aren't full of themselves. Matt Guthmiller lost me a while back.. I bailed on Flying mag for the same thing.. just started feeling too elitist or "look at me!" If I saw one more article about Dick Karl and his jet I was going to vomit. Also, the young "millennial" guy they brought in sucks. Oddly enough, despite it's reputation, the COPA magazine is great.. just genuine flying stories and educational articles. In fact, in the last issue some guy basically turned his MFD into an iPad holder to save on costs of a new Avidyne or panel overhaul.. something like $700 total cost vs several thousand

I miss Bloc, Richard Collins, etc. Martha Lunken is not bad, and technicalities is always a pleasure to read.

But I digress.

Back on point: This student should not have gone to the FAA. I thought P1D handled himself very well. If I got reported to the FAA over something like that over a channel I run for fun and to share my passion I'd be just as annoyed. If you're going to put your name out there on YouTube then he has every right to highlight that in his next video.. don't start throwing punches if you can't take any back. But that's the rest I'll say about that.

"<single base-color> <model aircraft>" vs using your N number as a your identifier in radio calls
I do both just to make everyone happy (or **** everyone off equally). "White and blue Cirrus XXX" .. the color thing is admittedly kind of silly though, it's hard enough to find a plane in the sky, and 9/10 times it's a "white and blue Skyhawk". I also add the "last call" bit to my replies.. "XX 5 miles south, climbing, heading 180, last call" .. it takes up virtually zero time and just in case someone was going to ask me something they've know I've gone. Plus.. I know it drives the POA people nuts so it's fun to add that in.

I also add the "last call" bit to my replies.. "XX 5 miles south, climbing, heading 180, last call" .. it takes up virtually zero time and just in case someone was going to ask me something they've know I've gone. Plus.. I know it drives the POA people nuts so it's fun to add that in.

Please don't make me like you :)

With 209 posts now I went to look at the video in the first post. I thought P1D handled it fairly appropriately for a senior pilot dealing with a mistake by a young student pilot.

I also add the "last call" bit to my replies.. "XX 5 miles south, climbing, heading 180, last call" .. it takes up virtually zero time and just in case someone was going to ask me something they've know I've gone.
No shame, I say it quite often as well. Even say ATITPPA on occasion and I have no regrets! ;)

I just don't understand people that fly and put videos on youtube. Seems like all of them, except Jerry, have gotten calls from the FSDO about things that people have complained about. Is that worth a bunch of views? I don't see it. I have a friend that says I need to video my flights and put them on YT. No F'n way! I have way too much to lose.

There is a guy named Bruno that has a lot of glider videos on line, which I really enjoy watching. He got asked to do an impromptu airshow performance, and got a 7 month license suspension. Here is the video:

I'm not surprised. That guy has, unless he took them down, plenty of videos of himself flying the same way while [not] at an 'impromptu' airshow. Buzzing hangars and all.

If P1D gets a call from the FAA about this sloppy radio call can you imagine the team of secretaries handling Air Wagners calls??? The FAA has to have gotten at least a couple calls

If P1D gets a call from the FAA about this sloppy radio call can you imagine the team of secretaries handling Air Wagners calls??? The FAA has to have gotten at least a couple calls
That's what I can't figure out. If one kid gets the FAA to look at PD1, how is Jerry still flying? :D

Jeez, everybody needs to lighten up a little.

The radio call that started it all: yeah, a little early, but so what? He was probably almost all the way clear by the time he let go of the mike button. And even if all three tires blew out simultaneously and he was stuck there, the departing plane would have been off the ground with plenty of room.

The kid: this is on the level of calling 911 because somebody's going three mph over the posted sped limit. He's now learning a lesson he should have learned before third grade, that nobody likes a tattletale. My wife grew up in a tough town where the line was, "snitches get stitches."

Now, that glider pilot: multiple violations there, aerobatics on an airway and multiple low passes below 500'. The YouTube video probably didn't trigger it, somebody in the crowd probably reported it, but the video surely made the FAA investigator's job easier.

Videos: different people make them for different reasons. I never heard of P1D before this and I don't know what his motivation is but who cares? Guys like Trent Palmer and FlightChops are doing it for the money and hey, more power to them if they've found a formula that's profitable. They earn it, making and editing a professional looking video is a lot of work. Me, I make videos (not monetized) for fun, just the kind of thing I enjoy watching myself. Sure there's a little ego involved. If I get a few hundred views I'm happy. Maybe instead of titling my video "Hatz Biplane Aerobatics" I should use "Crazy pilot does INSANE STUNT FLYING in HOMEMADE AIRPLANE"?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, while this is pretty cut and dry I'm still wondering how Greg knew it was this kid who ratted him out versus some other moron.

Whenever you file a complaint to the FAA, your identity can and will be given to the defendant as part of the freedom act.

Whenever you file a complaint to the FAA, your identity can and will be given to the defendant as part of the freedom of information act.

Nope. I tried once.
all I got back was a copy of the emails and letters he wrote to the FAA but they had blacked out all of his personal information.

Nope. I tried once.
all I got back was a copy of the emails and letters he wrote to the FAA but they had blacked out all of his personal information.

If you hired a lawyer, they could obtain that info...Maybe the freedom of information act only comes into play if a legal action is in the works. Just a simple complaint might not be sufficient.

Last edited:
I have a solution to this entire problem....sell the jet and buy a Piper Cub...NORDO...:).

There’s also a hot blonde from GA that makes a lot of awesome flying videos, her name is Mindy Lindheim.
Where were these young female pilots when I was in my 20s?

That's what I can't figure out. If one kid gets the FAA to look at PD1, how is Jerry still flying? :D

Here's how Tucker Gott responded to multiple calls from the FAA. He turned it into Merch! LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

There are enough real egregious safety issues that should get reported to the FAA and don't. But here we have social media vigilantes that rather tie up safety inspector's time chasing down airmen who report being clear of the runway literally two seconds early. I can't Possibly see how even a student pilot saw that as a safety concern.

The kid should not have tried to sound like a "know it all" ... yes, he is technically correct. My CFI years ago jumped me for the exact same thing as we're at a field where you can't see both departure ends (yes the guys in the air can see when you clear, but not on the ground).

What is the booger eaters whole name so I can pile on? I'm all for doxxing those kinds of people.

It is no longer "PC" to call them "booger eaters" ... the new correct term is "BOOGER RECYCLER":p:p:p

In regards to the guy who lined up wait, there seem plenty of time, the traffic in the pattern was on the downwind. I know it’s a judgment call, but if nobody is on final, I see no reason not to take off.

I don't know, I personally do not line up and wait anywhere except for towered airports, and even there it just feels really bad.

At uncontrolled airports, you may think "there seems to be plenty of time", until you find out that you just pulled up to line up and wait, in front of that guy with no radio who was between the guy on downwind and you.

I never assume everyone has a radio, and I'm not in such a hurry that I can't take an extra minute or two, to just wait and visually clear final, and the runway before pulling out.

I had it easy...I could find out who the dick on the radio was from out flight school (yeah, occasionally it was me), and recommend against using them in the jets if and when the time came.

Back on point: This student should not have gone to the FAA. I thought P1D handled himself very well. If I got reported to the FAA over something like that over a channel I run for fun and to share my passion I'd be just as annoyed. If you're going to put your name out there on YouTube then he has every right to highlight that in his next video.. don't start throwing punches if you can't take any back. But that's the rest I'll say about that.

Yep. Again, because of the way that certain demographic thinks, going straight to the GOVERNMENT is their first line of defense, rather than having an adult conversation .

That's how cowards who have a mantle full of participation trophies respond to the "violence" of hearing something they don't like.

Too bad, too. Elijah was areal badass...

From now on, when I turn off the runway, I'm gonna do a 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000... "clear of runway!" Geeze!

For @Half Fast - Bugdestroyer 666 is clearING 26 at Zulu

that's a good darn position report.

I know I tell the controllers at actual towered airports. "Bugdestroyer 666 will be off at A2" I've never been reported.

Back