Any landing you walk away from....

?
Interesting twist. Can you provide the evidence that leads you to connect this report to the video in question?

That’s not it. The subject in the video was landing 10R. Talkeetna has one runway, 1/19

Interesting technique... Stop flying the airplane immediately after the tires touch.

Never tried that, myself.

?
Interesting twist. Can you provide the evidence that leads you to connect this report to the video in question?

I'm merely pointing out the fact that this can happen even if you're not a student pilot with a camera, that is all.

Some on here believe that the only reason this happened was because a lowly student pilot was distracted because there was a camera running.

Why does it look like the camera is floating around? Doesn’t look like it’s attached to something solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does it look like the camera is floating around? Doesn’t look like it’s attached to something solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video stabilization. Some cameras can do it on the fly (see what I did there?). Sometimes it is done post-production (a "feature" offered by YouTube).

For those so quick to dump on the instructor who signed him off...

It does appear from the video that the fellow was lacking certain requisite skills, so there’s that.

But I’ve signed off dozens of first solos. And while at Burnside-Ott, for many of the English was not their primary language. By the time I had the student let me out for their first “supervised solo”, I was reasonably sure they could handle it. But never 100% sure. It’s unreasonable to expect a 15 or 20 hour student to do everything perfectly - pilots with thousands of hours still screw up once in a while. And they could easily be thrown off by an unexpected instruction from the tower or a mechanical malfunction. And a Cessna 150 or 152 handles differently when it’s 175 lbs lighter.

I was fortunate that no student pilot of mine ever came to grief on a solo flight. But I’m loathe to jump on a CFI when something does goes wrong. It happens.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that this can happen even if you're not a student pilot with a camera, that is all.

Some on here believe that the only reason this happened was because a lowly student pilot was distracted because there was a camera running.
Gotcha.

Who said that?

I'm not a CFI, but I'd imagine the simulated engine out scenarios give a good indication of a student's ability to perform under pressure. Stalls, too. And even normal landings--these all are stressful events for a low-hours student. They're not perfect predictors, but anyone experiencing brain lock with an instructor present is unlikely to be signed off to solo.

I can relate to the cave diving scenarios. While not full cave certified, I did enough, plus a lot of technical wreck diving training, to have been put through the mill with masks knocked off, tank valves turned off, regulators stolen, intentional entanglements, staged silt-outs, and getting really really stuck twice under the watchful eye of an instructor. It saved my bacon a few times on real-world dives.
I will say that when I was learning to fly I would agree the engine out, engine fire, smoke in the cabin emergencies were a good gauge of how well I was or wasn't able to handle the task saturation that happens when something doesn't go right. But I will also say that some instructors are better at it than others. I had instructors that would prep me with, on the next landing we'll do an engine out. Great, now I know what to expect. Other instructors would just pull the throttle, sometimes in the middle of a different maneuver to see how I reacted. Of course, I cursed the second more but felt that it was a better gauge of my mindset and how I would handle a real emergency. Fast forward to my checkride when the DPE wanted me to descend altitude and while I was in a 500 fpm decent she pulled power and said, you just lost an engine. We had just overflown the airport 1000 ft above TPA and I was in my turning descent to get into the 45 when this happened. I had never had a CFI do this and it caught me off guard for a couple of reason. 1- she wanted me to actually land, or set up to land, from a position I hadn't practiced. 2- Since I was already trimmed for a descent when she pulled power the plane really wanted to fall and gain speed so I had to pull back aggressively to maintain best glide speed, another thing that was different than I had practiced. I did well enough during the checkride that she had confidence in passing me but I learned a valuable lesson that day. While its important to know what to do and practice it, don't practice it the same way every time. Murphy won't let the actual emergency happen how you plan it to happen and you need to adjust.

Looked gusty, and he was hot. I thought he wasn't bad until he touched down and expected to stay down, but he needed to shed 20 or more knots. I'm thinking students should not be using video cameras on solos, but that's just me.
I see nothing wrong with a camera in the plane even for students as long as it is not a distraction of any kind. I've used a camera multiple times, even as a student. Pretty sure I also recorded my first solo flight. However, I also had the forethought to act like it is never there. I set the camera before I do anything on a checklist, then turnoff and remove the camera after shutdown and parked. If the battery dies, so what; if the suction cup mount causes it to drop- who cares; if I notice its not getting a good view, leave it and keep flying the plane (I have one cross country flight with a great view of the shoulder strap but nothing else). I also make sure the camera is mounted somewhere so if it falls it won't be a problem with controls. After the flight, if everything worked out and I got mediocre footage I'll review it to see how I can improve, validate something I thought I felt, heard, or did while flying and if I'm exceptionally proud of something I might post it on YT. In reality 75% of my videos either get deleted or just sit on my laptop only to be viewed once or twice by me while reviewing.

I would still like to hear the backstory of how the video was published. I can’t imagine that pilot was too eager to get his face spread around the Internet.

I would still like to hear the backstory of how the video was published. I can’t imagine that pilot was too eager to get his face spread around the Internet.
I think you'd be surprised. The younger generation has grown up putting all their moments, good bad or otherwise embarrassing, on the internet. They don't think twice about it and they don't care that it'll be there forever. They know what while it might matter right now, it won't have any impact on them at all in 15 years.

Here it comes a contender (video). Landed too fast but instead of no rudder, he inputted too much of right rudders. Then fire-walled after the 172 veered to the right....... I wish he's OK.

(No FB login required for this video)

He sure was cranking hard right on that yoke near the end... Brings to mind watching motorcycle crash videos where the riders try to stop the bike by dragging their feet instead of using the brakes. Likely a side-effect of learning to ride on a "balance bike". Primacy is a cold hearted *****.

Brings to mind watching motorcycle crash videos where the riders try to stop the bike by dragging their feet instead of using the brakes.

Really? Who does that (other than Fred Flintstone)?

Easy - the "pilot" just reverted to driving a car as soon as he drifted left. RUDDER! RUDDER! RUDDER! RUDDER! RUDDER! RUDDER! Why isn't this emphasized more? Cars are different! That's what most of his time is in.

(not a flight instructor)

People who understand nothing about how cars work. Put in neutral, stomp E brake. If that doesn't work, hail mary and put it in park.

By listening he sure put it in park.!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rofl::rofl:

By listening he sure put it in park.!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rofl::rofl:

Oh, I guess he did. Oh well, time for bumper cars I suppose.

People who understand nothing about how cars work. Put in neutral, stomp E brake. If that doesn't work, hail mary and put it in park.

The "E brake" on the wife's Ford is 100% electronic and will NOT engage unless the tranny is in Park and your foot is on the brake pedal. It is truly a parking brake and nothing more.

C185 is a taildragger. You can be an ATP with 10,000 hours and still be a student pilot in TW aircraft. Even experienced TW pilots ground loop and depart runways due to the inherent instability of that gear configuration. Says nothing about this situation.

Flat and fast approach, carrying power the whole way in.

Aircraft is drifting left in the flare. Looks like a right crosswind.

From now on I will like all Epaulet jokes on PoA. It is officially a meme.

Last edited:
Really? Who does that (other than Fred Flintstone)?
As an MSF instructor I have seen it too many times to count. Its not uncommon for me to tell new riders during the quick stop exercise to remember they have two brakes and to stop quickly they need to use both of them. Occasionally I'll get someone that will use both brakes, downshift and keep their feet on the pegs after the stop- thus falling to the ground. I think it boils down to the brain trying to process the steps as individual items and freezing when it needs to put multiple items together in stressful situations they haven't had experience with yet. Heck, teaching my own daughter to drive I could see how her brain was getting overloaded at times and caused her to make pretty basic errors, like turning left when I told her to turn right and she repeated that she was making a right turn as she was turning left.

Reactions: smv
As an MSF instructor I have seen it too many times to count.

Are they back to calling you "Instructor" again? After several years of being an active and successful Instructor, I resigned around the time they started using the RiderCoach® moniker.

How does a CFI identify, or activate, that brain lock stage during training?

When I learned to cave dive, my instructor would create events during a dive (basically harassing an unsuspecting student while underwater, like knocking your mask off or wrapping a guideline around your fin) for the purpose of inducing stress to see how the student would respond. Does he stay calm and deal with the problem, does he freeze up, does he panic and lose control,....?

When I was learning to fly, though, mostly I was inducing panic in my instructors.
Pretty easy. I inherited a student from another instructor once because he couldn't advance. I went on a flight with the guy and we worked on some simple power settings and speeds. It all went well. Nice guy, so we continued. Problem was the guy would be fine for a while and then complete brain fade.
A plateau during your training is somewhat normal and can be worked through. Having everything you know go "poof!" on occasion or losing your s*** during a simulated emergency are a bad sign.

We worked through some road blocks and he got basically ready to solo. I would say "give me three laps of the pattern where I don't have to say anything or touch the controls". He would do two perfect laps and then choke. Several times. I eventually soloed him at a quiet class D airport and that was behind us. I thought. Later on down the road he was on a solo cross country and I got a call at the FBO from the tower at his destination. He had just cut off a Beech 400 in the pattern. Got another call from the home tower for something just as bad.
I didn't want to add my name to his logbook anymore and he stopped flying. Hopefully he never took it up again.

Are they back to calling you "Instructor" again? After several years of being an active and successful Instructor, I resigned around the time they started using the RiderCoach® moniker.
Depends on who you ask as it seems like multiple companies/states have taken the MSF curriculum and tweaked it to their liking. In MSF speak we are still RiderCoaches, when I was teaching in Virginia they preferred Instructor.

Reactions: smv
Here it comes a contender (video). Landed too fast but instead of no rudder, he inputted too much of right rudders. Then fire-walled after the 172 veered to the right....... I wish he's OK.

What a comedy of errors! Goes full throttle thinking he's cutting throttle, he's STEERING WITH Yoke! Hope the local FSDO had a firm conversation with the CFI.

The yoke is full aft, the plane is not flying and I do not hear a stall horn. (not that it really mattered by this point)

Maybe they told him when he was finished, to be sure and put the plane into the hangar.

That's just wrong on so many levels ... but I can't stop ROTFL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I've had a few bad days but thank the Lord that, to this point, none have been that bad. I truly hope he's OK.

Back