Crash at CCB (Upland, CA)

SoCal RV Flyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal RV Flyer

Yeeesh. Landed super long (or possibly an aborted takeoff?), bounced hard; then it looks like he attempted to go around, and cartwheeled well past end of the runway. Pilot looks to be OK.

Crazy that there's news chopper aerial footage of crash. Maybe there was an emergency call prior to landing attempt.

This looks like the third "too much airspeed" crash on these boards recently (and one was an airliner).

I was listening to CTAF when it happened.

Experimentinal lost the propeller over the dam about 3 miles north of the airport. Oil covered the windshield, pilot called mayday - did the best he could, considering.

Pilot ok with some scratches.

Wow..!!! Considering all that he did very well.

All the really matters is the occupant. The plane can be replaced.

No propeller... I can see how you could land long in that situation.
Yep. I’ve never experienced it, but I bet the airplane handles COMPLETELY different without the prop. No way to simulate for practice either.

It looked like an RC plane that was way behind the power curve. Nice to know there was no power curve to begin with.
Good job getting it to the airport and keeping alive. The CG was probably aft too.

Lost the prop and had zero forward visibility due to oil. His granddaughter posted something on the Plus One Facebook group. This was an incredible act of airmanship. I think we can forgive him for not making it a greaser.

Looked sorta like a Thatcher CX-4... What y'all think?

Indeed, it is.

I was listening to CTAF when it happened.

Experimentinal lost the propeller over the dam about 3 miles north of the airport. Oil covered the windshield, pilot called mayday - did the best he could, considering.

Pilot ok with some scratches.

That explains a great deal. Good to hear that the pilot's injuries were minor.

Altitude = safety

Back