Bar Harbor info

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Thinking about taking my bride to bar harbor for a weekend get-away. Any hotel recommendations?

I did an air bnb when I went last year. Not a hotel but you have to go to Mount Desert Ice Cream when you’re there. They have a lot of weird flavors that are worth trying.

Thinking about taking my bride to bar harbor for a weekend get-away. Any hotel recommendations?

if I understand correctly, Maine still has some quarantine requirements for out-of-state folks. So, good luck.

Was just there a couple days ago, didn't stay, but the folks at Columbia were great. Gas was $5.40 per gallon.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the FBO for hangar space, car rental, and hotel recommendations.

I was in Maine this past weekend. Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone out of state unless you are from NH or VT. Hotel went out of their way to say they are not tracking or reporting any data to the state. Masks are still mandatory, I saw about 50% of people wearing them. YMMV.

I will say it was nice not having a lot of people there, and especially no New Yorkers or people from Mass.

Last I read the ME rules (we are due there in August), a negative COVID test within 3days prior to arrival will get you out of quarantine. Logistically tough IMHO.

They are pretty laid back in Maine, I doubt you will have a problem. I would pick a hotel and give them a call before you go and ask them if you will have any issue.

Bar Harbor Inn and Spa. Direct waterfront. High pricing, but if you are looking for a luxe trip with your wife, this is the spot.

The restaurant at the Bar harbor inn is really good as well. It’s called the reading room. Great cocktails and views of the harbor.

If you can get bicycles in the plane, Mt. Desert Island is a great place to road bike. We usually stay in Southwest or Northeast Harbor to avoid the tourist crowds, but I suspect it won't be so crowded right now. Tourist season doesn't really ramp up (in normal times) until July 1.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to call the FBO for hangar space, car rental, and hotel recommendations.

Gary,

A free shuttle runs from the airport to the downtown area and the other parts of the island. Ivy Manor Inn (B&B) is classy and has character. Cocktails at Bar Harbor Inn are relaxing. Blueberry pancakes at Jordan’s are a must. It is a beautiful island.

;)
Gary,

A free shuttle runs from the airport to the downtown area and the other parts of the island. Ivy Manor Inn (B&B) is classy and has character. Cocktails at Bar Harbor Inn are relaxing. Blueberry pancakes at Jordan’s are a must. It is a beautiful island.

Ted,

thank you. I will check out all of the above. I think I need to get Miss Mary out for a change of scenery.

If the brides not happy, ain’t nobody happy :)

They are pretty laid back in Maine, I doubt you will have a problem. I would pick a hotel and give them a call before you go and ask them if you will have any issue.
Not that laid back when the COVID thing was full bore :) https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/03/28/vinalhaven-maine-quarantine-incident
I have a friend that grew up on Vinalhaven, and he said that these news reports were a bit overblown.

Bar Harbor is pretty much 100% tourism economy, so they are likely to err on the side of letting people in to spend money. As others have said, call a couple places and you can get a pretty good sense of what's going on. AM fog can be really thick there on warm days and stay a long time, make sure you watch and make allowances for that in your flight planning. The national park there is really beautiful. Temps can vary a lot depending on wind direction. The ocean is really cold and if the wind is off the water, it can drop the temps a lot. You'll need clothes for warm and cool weather.

If the 14 day quarantine is a sort of discretionary thing my wife and I talked about dropping in for a lobster roll lunch on the 9th July on our way (sorta) from Laconia NH to Westerly RI. Any suggestions if we work it out? If not it's https://champlins.com when we get to RI and that's no bad at all (and I can have a beer with it)

:yes:
Sung to the Beverly Hillbillies: "They said Gary Mascelli, Extreme SW is the place you ought to be, so he loaded up the Trinidad and flew to E.P. No mold ...no trees":p:p

Thank you for that laugh. Yes, I sang the tune with your lyrics. :yes: :biggrin:

Our friends are moving from Austin to Blacksburg VA. So, no real time line to fly back to Texas. Although This morning the bride and I are talking about a southwest push in 2021 and the balloon festival in NM.

The trip will include Pawhuska OK , Waco TX, Albuquerque NM, and a few more stops.

Sung to the Beverly Hillbillies: "They said Gary Mascelli, Extreme SW is the place you ought to be, so he loaded up the Trinidad and flew to E.P. No mold ...no trees":p:p

That's just not working for me, I'm thinking you should record yourself singing it on your phone and post it.

Our friends are moving from Austin to Blacksburg VA. So, no real time line to fly back to Texas. Although This morning the bride and I are talking about a southwest push in 2021 and the balloon festival in NM.

The trip will include Pawhuska OK , Waco TX, Albuquerque NM, and a few more stops.

Hit Carlsbad Caverns on the way from Waco, maybe skip ABQ and make it Santa Fe instead, your wife will love it since she loves Waco (hit the 400 year old church with the 360 staircase built by hand). I'd stay there a day and then hit Sedona and the Grand canyon, you'll love those too ...

That's just not working for me, I'm thinking you should record yourself singing it on your phone and post it.

I'm from Texas Paul ... everyone here thinks they can sing;) That upload would probably crash this site, and later that "howling" would be used as either a coyote attraction call or repellent (not sure which):confused::p

Back