Sarasota to Key West, what route do you take?

Which route?

• Direct

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Follow coastline as far south as possible, then direct

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Follow coastline all the way around then follow island chain

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • do something else

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Good thread - planning on doing Lakeland to Key Weird in October for a day trip when down seeing my parents.

Been into the NAS many times in the EA-6B but never the other airport .

Is there some kind of hidden complexity to this flight that I’m missing? Doesn’t seem overly complicated to me but wtf do I know.

Is there some kind of hidden complexity to this flight that I’m missing? Doesn’t seem overly complicated to me but wtf do I know.

Some people don’t like flying over water. There is almost no place on the keys to land anyway except for the bridges, landing on the highway with all the power lines would be a crapshoot.

Tom

Not really. Lots of storms to deal with forcing me way out to sea on my flight Sunday, but otherwise it was pretty simple. It’s just a fun flight.

It’s not just the water crossing, even when you get on land, around the Everglades is pretty desolate. You’re probably better off ditching in the water, more boats out there than in the swamp.

Not really. Lots of storms to deal with forcing me way out to sea on my flight Sunday, but otherwise it was pretty simple. It’s just a fun flight.

It’s not just the water crossing, even when you get on land, around the Everglades is pretty desolate. You’re probably better off ditching in the water, more boats out there than in the swamp.

When we flew there it would have been easy to ditch near a boat. There were so many we would have had our choice of boats to ditch near.

Hmm, ditch near a boat out in the water, or in the swamp near the alligators. Hmmm

but it's shallow
Shallow enough that your feet will reach?

ditch near a boat
People always say this about flying over water, and maybe Florida has more boats than South California or Massachusetts but in general when I have been out over water I have never seen a myriad of boats underneath to pick from, maybe potentially just one or two small fishing boats well far away from me

Ditching into the Everglades would suck.. grab a plb, spend the two thousand bucks on a life raft, and go over the water. The Everglades are like ditching in the water.. but much worse

Shallow enough that your feet will reach?
Ditching into the Everglades would suck.. grab a plb, spend the two thousand bucks on a life raft, and go over the water. The Everglades are like ditching in the water.. but much worse

For all but about 10 miles...yes actually lol. And for those 10 miles you could stand on top of the airplane after it sinks.

Don't disagree about ditching in the Everglades, though. Too many things that would be happy to eat you.

maybe Florida has more boats than South California or Massachusetts
Specifically in these areas on a decent day, yes, you really can choose which boat you'd like to have save you. You're better off going for one of those yachts that will have a private room and an open bar.

Also, always remember that those folks on the boats are looking up at you thinking "wow, they're so lucky and cool!"

Also, always remember that those folks on the boats are looking up at you thinking "wow, they're so lucky and cool!"

Maybe not so much if you're having to ditch near them! :>)

We were headed across the Chesapeake bay last summer in the 182 and my wife commented “look at all those rich people in their boats down there”

I smiled and said nothing. I’ve learned a few things in 22 years of marriage. (But often forget to keep my mouth shut still)

I make this flight several times a year. I fly direct but carry survival gear just in case. Typically there are a few boats you can reach but I certainly would not count on that, and yes the water is shallow but I’m 5’10 and the vast majority of it is deeper than that. If you ditch without at least a life vest you will be in trouble. Use flight following and you will be talking to Miami Center on 133.5 during the over water phase. Don’t worry about the ADIZ if you are talking to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you ditch with just a life vest you could be in trouble. Over the winter and spring, average water temps are below 80 degrees and will put you into hypothermia in something around 24 hours, depending on the exact temperature. You need a life raft any time you are out of gliding distance of land.

I flew this past weekend . Great weather both directions. As you can see lots of storms to watch out for. Timing is everything . I delayed my departure for 2 hours and it was a piece of cake. This was my first time.
The crew at Signature FBO in Key West were all really nice and helpful.

I carry a Revere 4 person life raft ($1100 , 14 lbs. ) and an epirb beacon as well.
7f59620d8c4248fce4704136583ea8d5.jpg
6db5c90aa9079dfca4430337e1b57aa5.jpg
c6dbce65bb49f7ee79d0c206bbb95397.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was just down there yesterday from Slidell, dodging rain and warning areas. Also in a King Air, though, so our route was a little more direct :D

Is KEYW small plane friendly?

Tom
They are very small plane friendly. For the prices they charge, they ought to be.

I would go direct and as high as practical. I don't like flying the swampy coastline any more than flying over open water. There is no place to land and it will be almost as hard to find you or get to you if you put down. I go direct and if the engine is acting well, I go as high and fast as I can and get it over with asap. If there is any thing bothering me at all about anything in the airplane, I turn back.

I thought their fees were very reasonable. It cost me $45 to stay for a few hours and 7 gallons of gas.

I thought their fees were very reasonable. It cost me $45 to stay for a few hours and 7 gallons of gas.
Reasonableness is subjective. I used to go quite often in spite of the "reasonable" high fees. I don't go very often any more because after a while, you have seen it all and it loses it's appeal. But I didn't stop going because of the fees, even though they are higher than almost any other comparable airport around.

Did your $45 include the 7 gallons of fuel or was the fuel extra? Why did you only buy 7 gallons? Surely it took you more than that to get there. If they are so reasonable, I would figure you would have bought more.

Reasonableness is subjective. I used to go quite often in spite of the "reasonable" high fees. I don't go very often any more because after a while, you have seen it all and it loses it's appeal. But I didn't stop going because of the fees, even though they are higher than almost any other comparable airport around.

Did your $45 include the 7 gallons of fuel or was the fuel extra? Why did you only buy 7 gallons? Surely it took you more than that to get there. If they are so reasonable, I would figure you would have bought more.
I had enough fuel to make it back home without buying any, but an extra 7 gallons is an extra 7 gallons. I was glad to have it when I was off the coast looking at the giant thunderstorms, though I didn't use it.

The $45 included the 7 gallons of fuel. A $5 ramp fee and all other fees were waived with the purchase of 7 gallons at about $6 a gallon.

What about Marathon? Fees...places to eat....etc?
Marathon has more closer, and they have an airport taxi for free if you’re willing to wait for it. No fee with purchase of fuel. They didn’t even ask for a receipt for self serve, just took my word for it.

I used 2 manage 2 facilities down there, one on MTH and one on EYW and had to fly there at least once a week from Fort Myers for years. It was exactly 122nm to either MTH or EYW which shows how far east MTH is. Going to X01 (Everglades city) and following the coast, then jumping over to MTH and on down to EYW adds a lot of miles and a lot of it over inhospitable swamp. IMO, landing in the glades would have a lower chance of survival than the water. Best bet is equip properly, file IFR and run V225 dead south from FMY for shortest time. V225 DOES go through the ADIZ and U.S. to U.S. you still need to file either DVFR or IFR. As much of the seasonal rains in Florida are land mass T-storms, the afternoon/evenings over the gulf and in the lower keys are generally much better weather.

Back