When You Get Up Before Six...

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
...on a Sunday, weird things happen to your brain.

I was driving home this morning from a church I play organ for, thinking about Musechaser's comment about public vulgarity, which brought to mind one of my roommates from college, whose constant use of "language" better befit a sailor (though not colorful enough...). Then I was thinking about flying (only partly because I was talking about it with a guy from church), and then those two subjects combined into wondering, "Instead of saying 'What the f***?', do pilots say, 'What the phak?' "

It seems like a good word to convey displeasure and/or disgust... :D

I do miss when comedians were funny without the use of any vulgarities. Most comedians today can't even open their mouths without a slew of foul words pouring out, and most of them aren't even funny anyway. It's like their jokes are so weak they need that extra 'shock' point just to get a response.

Last edited:
I do miss when comedians were funny without the use of any vulgarities. Most comedians today can't even open their mouths without a slew of foul words pouring out, and most of them aren't even funny anyway. It's like they're jokes are so weak they need that extra 'shock' point just to get a response.
Brian Regan is a very funny contemporary comedian who works clean. Very funny and family friendly.

I do miss when comedians were funny without the use of any vulgarities. Most comedians today can't even open their mouths without a slew of foul words pouring out, and most of them aren't even funny anyway. It's like they're jokes are so weak they need that extra 'shock' point just to get a response.

Ahhh yes, I miss the days of Don Rickles.

Felgercarb! Frak! (if you're a BGS v2.0 fan)

And one of my faves: Cramfarkle!

or you have to be at work at 0645 in my case. Right now I'm watching the flying tankers put out the huge fires on Mt. Lemmon.

That's what I keep in my house. No room for a proper pipe setup.

You could put one in your hanger! ;)

I've got a similar used one, but slightly smaller than the Allen. I don't remember the brand, but it has a good, 2 octave pedal board and that's what really matters! LOL

Reactions: Ted
Your thinking to much for that early on a Sunday morning.

Haha - it was either that or contemplate the differences in the take-off attitudes and speeds of a mallard duck vs. a sparrow. A mallard definitely goes for Vx over Vy. ;)

My favorite oh-dark-thirty moment was at Kansas City Int'l airport. I had a 6am flight, first of the day. It's approx an hour drive from my house to the parking lot and shuttle to the terminal. Then there's the wait in line for the grope-a-thon at TSA.

I was in the TSA line behind 2 twenty something young ladies. One said to the other, "I had to get up earlier than I usually get home." I sort of laughed to myself, but then I realized my alarm had been set very early that morning (but not quite THAT early), too.

I never learned the organ. Would like to some day. My mom plays but it isn't a real pipe one at church.

You could put one in your hanger! ;)

I've got a similar used one, but slightly smaller than the Allen. I don't remember the brand, but it has a good, 2 octave pedal board and that's what really matters! LOL

The two octave pedal board is the big deal for sure. I bought mine about 13 years ago off of eBay for $100. Great find, I’m sure my various employers have spent far more to move it than I spent on buying it! ;)

The two octave pedal board is the big deal for sure. I bought mine about 13 years ago off of eBay for $100. Great find, I’m sure my various employers have spent far more to move it than I spent on buying it! ;)

I got mine off Marketplace for $100 last year, and my dad, brother and I moved it ourselves. I can see why it would cost a lot more than that to move one professionally - those things weigh so much! It is awesome, though, to have an organ at home, and totally worth the effort.

Reactions: Ted
Regarding getting up: By 6am I'm typically walking out of the Y...every other day...after working out for an hour. They open at 5 and I'm almost alway waiting at the door...after riding there on my bike.

Regarding vulgarities: I've always thought the concept of vulgar is both hilarious and asinine. What's vulgar? Why is **** (phuc) vulgar but screw isn't? Why is **** (chit) vulgar but crap isn't? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Why?

Because people who belIeve in fairy tales want to make up stupid rules for everyone else to live by...gotta control the thoughts of masses donchaknow.

It's randomly stupid.

Same with sex. It's evil chit donchaknow...

...rolling my eyes (even after my 12 years of catholic school) and having a lot more fun because of it!

Last edited:
Regarding getting up: By 6am I'm typically walking out of the Y...every other day...after working out for an hour. They open at 5 and I'm almost alway waiting at the door...after riding there on my bike.

Regarding vulgarities: I've always thought the concept of vulgar is both hilarious and asinine. What's vulgar? Why is **** (phuc) vulgar but screw isn't? Why is **** (chit) vulgar but crap isn't? Etc. Etc. Etc.
*Abbreviated*

Hey, whatever. How you want to talk is none of my business...unless I ever have kids. Then I will come after you with a gag. LOL

I prefer a sanitized or more refined version of the English language. Using an otherwise useless word that adds nothing to a sentence just seems juvenile to me. However, depending on my mood, my bedroom is full of stuff/junk/crap. ;)

The real problem about getting up before six this morning is I stayed up playing pool until 11:30 last night...

You got to go to church? Ours is stuck in the 'one transferred infection is too much' world of worry on the upper leadership level. Time to change denominations, I guess.

You got to go to church? Ours is stuck in the 'one transferred infection is too much' world of worry on the upper leadership level. Time to change denominations, I guess.

Yep, the whole deal, even singing, and I didn't have to hear about COVID or uncertain times once during the sermon! ;) Try finding a little country church at least half an hour from anything, with a small congregation (they've got maybe 40 on a good Sunday). Corn doesn't transmit much in the way of viruses...

Six? Every bleeding day with a five year old autistic boy.

Ever watch an hour of Lego dinosaurs before six? Try it for 6 months.

Yep, the whole deal, even singing, and I didn't have to hear about COVID or uncertain times once during the sermon! ;) Try finding a little country church at least half an hour from anything, with a small congregation (they've got maybe 40 on a good Sunday). Corn doesn't transmit much in the way of viruses...

My old congregation.
It was 7 miles outside town.
We had 50ish on a Sunday. Standing room on Christmas Eve and Easter.
We're Lutherans, so we sing. A lot. In harmony.

I turned the brick and mortar over to another pastor, 4 years ago this month, to do the flying ministry.
My "airport congregants" number about 500 "regulars" and another 100-200 "irregulars". A lot more work, but a lot more fun.
The pandemic didn't have much impact until they started shutting airports down, so we just moved into hangers and empty restaurants.

6 AM? Not anymore. The new puppy is sleeping to 7 AM. Sooooo decadent.

...on a Sunday, weird things happen to your brain.

I was driving home this morning from a church I play organ for, thinking about Musechaser's comment about public vulgarity, which brought to mind one of my roommates from college, whose constant use of "language" better befit a sailor (though not colorful enough...). Then I was thinking about flying (only partly because I was talking about it with a guy from church), and then those two subjects combined into wondering, "Instead of saying 'What the f***?', do pilots say, 'What the phak?' "

It seems like a good word to convey displeasure and/or disgust... :D
Did you do it again? lol

I've got a similar used one, but slightly smaller than the Allen.

Our organ at the church was an Allen, serial number 20, built in 1946.
At home had a basement full of 1930, 40, 50, era parts, and tubes I had been scrounging since the 1950s, and I never got rid of my tube tester or my big, analog volt/ohmmeter.
I managed to keep that organ alive, spinning speakers and all, until 5 years ago when It finally just collapsed in a heap. We scrounged every usable piece out of it and sent them all off to a church in Woodstock, NY that had Allen, serial number 21.

The Battlestar Galactica folks said "frack" a lot.. at first it was annoying but later on it has a campy feel to it, I like it

PS - I don't really mind that use of strong or colorful language, as long as it's not done gratuitously or overly in anger. in fact, I can't link it now but I believe there have been studies to suggest people who swear more are generally more honest and trustworthy

I also have an HP 400D - (tube driven) Volt and decibels. Calibrated less than a year ago.

What's the word for reviving an uninformative thread over a week old? LOL

For the inquiring minds (@flhrci ), unfortunately, no new funnies from my Sunday commute, but it sure made me laugh that you asked! My brain was functioning even worse on the drive to church than last week, if you can believe that. ;) I mostly thought about why I would get up so early after going to bed so late, again, though I did contemplate the possibility of going ring-necked pheasant hunting with the nose of my car (those birds think they own the country roads). On the way back, I was practicing landings, aka car flying. Like chair flying, only you do it in your car. If you get focused enough, you look out the window and expect to see wings on your car. It's slightly disconcerting, but reduces your ability to think up stupid things. On Saturday, though, I gave the airport manager and my new CFI a good laugh when I pulled my checkbook out of my flight bag!

I just realized that I now sleep in later during the week. I'm gone by 7 and 6 am on Saturday and Sunday, and I don't even get up before 7:30 usually during the week. Weird.

And good job at keeping that organ alive for so long! :) Functioning tube organs need a lot more care than most places will give them, so most don't function very well anymore, sadly!

Farkin Bastage !

Try Jim Gaffigan...pretty clean and funny guy.

FYI, I own a Hammond C3 and Leslie...among other things.

Back