Propeller Nick on freshly overhauled prop

PaulR035

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul R
Hello all. New owner here, just got my plane back from a fresh engine and prop overhaul. 6 hours SMOH on the new engine and I go out to find this huge nick in the freshly overhauled prop. No idea what could have caused this.

Got someone hopefully coming out to look at this soon, but.... how much trouble am I in? What should I expect it will take to fix this?

Hartzell F7666A constant speed prop. Memphis Prop did the overhaul. Sectional plotter for scale.

20200615_190608.jpg 20200615_185833.jpg

Lets hope he has blade profile enough to be below limits.

this one I would call my insurance guy.

Looks a little much to file out. Likely in for a blade replacement.

Look at the sharp cut ? then the scrapping, this was not a rock.

Perhaps.
But given it only has 6 hours time since overhaul (if I understood the OP correctly), the whole of the leading edge of that prop that is visible in the 2nd photo looks like it's been run through a gravel bed.

Perhaps.
But given it only has 6 hours time since overhaul (if I understood the OP correctly), the whole of the leading edge of that prop that is visible in the 2nd photo looks like it's been run through a gravel bed.
If it was overhauled, there is even less material that can be removed by blending.
If the owner does have it blended, and it turns out to be below limits, will the insurance company pay?
I'd be getting a new prop while the getting is good.

What should I expect it will take to fix this?
FWIW: take some better pics (with scale) and send them to Memphis for review before any rework. They'll should still have their paperwork from the OH and should be able to determine if repairable. Plus since they just did the OH they should be happy with the rest of the prop vs a different shop. But I have to agree I doubt that nick was from a rock.

Supposedly some props can be shortened for things like this. That's quite a ding, with 6 hours of use you should be able to figure out where it happened.

I'd expect a towbar impact would require a tear-down inspection.

When I've had props overhauled they profile the blades and the leading edges and paint are perfect. Those in the picture aren't perfect.

Ouch ! Looks like it struck something stationary due to the elongated scrape...too bad....good luck !

I think it was a rock. A metal tow bar would leave a more defined ding. It looks like what ever it was disintegrated into smaller pieces as it changed direction. Looks like it went over a pile of sand and gravel from the other chips in the paint. Too bad, since the OP didn't notice it happen hopefully it won't require a tear down or a new prop.

So what constitutes a prop strike that requires a tear down inspection? Not sure that prop is fixable and I Have seen tear downs happen on engine where a strike occurred and the prop was repairable.

I once witnessed a Mooney picking up a rock as it was taxied across gravel and it took out a chunk of prop about the size of a dime. It threw the rock into a hangar next to where I stood...very loud bang. There was no obvious change in engine rpm. Prop blade was repaired or replaced.

The pics do show that the prop has picked up a bit of pebble damage...maybe small loose gravel or sand rock. Avoid taxiing across any small pebbles and such...if you can.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Don't worry about a Service Bulletin there is a AD for Lycoming look it up.

2004-10-14
Definition of Propeller Strike

(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows:

(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades.

(2) Any incident during engine operation in which the propeller impacts a solid object that causes a drop in revolutions per minute (RPM) and also requires structural repair of the propeller (incidents requiring only paint touch-up are not included). This is not restricted to propeller strikes against the ground.

(3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium, where propeller damage is not normally incurred.

(j) The preceding definitions include situations where an aircraft is stationary and the landing gear collapses causing one or more blades to be substantially bent, or where a hanger door (or other object) strikes the propeller blade. These cases should be handled as sudden stoppages because of potentially severe side loading on the crankshaft flange, front bearing, and seal.

Last edited:
Don't worry about a Service Bulletin there is a AD for Lycoming look it up.

2004-10-14
Definition of Propeller Strike

(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows:

(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades.

(2) Any incident during engine operation in which the propeller impacts a solid object that causes a drop in revolutions per minute (RPM) and also requires structural repair of the propeller (incidents requiring only paint touch-up are not included). This is not restricted to propeller strikes against the ground.

(3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium, where propeller damage is not normally incurred.

(j) The preceding definitions include situations where an aircraft is stationary and the landing gear collapses causing one or more blades to be substantially bent, or where a hanger door (or other object) strikes the propeller blade. These cases should be handled as sudden stoppages because of potentially severe side loading on the crankshaft flange, front bearing, and seal.

That pretty much settles it, do think that blade qualifies for a minor dressing?

Hello all. New owner here, just got my plane back from a fresh engine and prop overhaul. 6 hours SMOH on the new engine and I go out to find this huge nick in the freshly overhauled prop. No idea what could have caused this.
It's your plane. If you do not know how the nick got there, who was flying your plane for 6 hours?

It's your plane. If you do not know how the nick got there, who was flying your plane for 6 hours?
Most people don’t know when their props get nicked by loose gravel. It’s not until later, usually the next pre-flight that it’s discovered.

'cept, that ain't no nick. You'd see that missing tooth walking out the airplane, let alone pushing it back to the tiedown/hangar LOL.
14445660.jpg

How many pilots get their aircraft to 5 MPH prior to advancing the throttle to full power?
guess when 99% of gravel gets kicked up?

That’s not going to buff out, get ready for an overhaul. I have a composite prop and I feel your pain.

How many pilots get their aircraft to 5 MPH prior to advancing the throttle to full power?
guess when 99% of gravel gets kicked up?
25 years almost exclusively on gravel, long props, never "picked up" a rock. Not once. A little silt and sand may swirl up but not rocks. Those come from the tires. Operate on gravel long enough and you'll be able to predict how many rock hits you'll get by the tire shape and humidity.

Tires do kick up rocks but that doesn't mean the propeller won't pick up rocks also. I've seen a prop pick up a heavy chain as well as the end of a glider tow rope that had thick metal rings and a length of rubber hose at the end. Hold your brakes and run up the engine over gravel and see for yourself.

Tires do kick up rocks but that doesn't mean the propeller won't pick up rocks also. I've seen a prop pick up a heavy chain as well as the end of a glider tow rope that had thick metal rings and a length of rubber hose at the end. Hold your brakes and run up the engine over gravel and see for yourself.
When you have your aircraft moving at lower RPMs it will not do that. The stones will simply miss the prop, the prop does not kick up heavy objects when it is at low RPM.
Get the aircraft moving before you add power.

Back