T route with higher MEA than V airway it overlaps

airheadpenguin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
airheadpenguin
I'm planning a flight out to Ohio and noticed that the overlapping segments of T216 and V58 in PA have a MEA of 4200 on the T route but a lower MEA of 4000 for V58.

Its not based on COM reception, do T routes have a wider airway width that could be impacted by terrain?

Attachments

• 2020-06-16 10_06_50-SkyVector_ Flight Planning _ Aeronautical Charts.png
    2020-06-16 10_06_50-SkyVector_ Flight Planning _ Aeronautical Charts.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 21
Looking at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_airways#:~:text=When VORs are less than,14.8 km) total width). I'm still confused because the Victor airways a protected 8 miles on either side of the centerline for segments that are less than 102 nm

T-routes are said to have 6nm of obstacle protection (primary + secondary) on either side of the center line with the mention that it supports 10nm of protected airspace on either side of the centerline. The way that I read that is that additional 4nm are protected from aircraft but not obstacles. So I'm left still puzzled as to why the higher MEA would impact the route

While I don't have an answer for the difference in MEAs, I need to point out that the part of the linked article that refers to T-routes and 10 nm wide, is under the heading of "Canada".

In the U.S., at least, T-routes are, like V-routes, 4 nm either side of centerline with a secondary area (what you might call a "buffer" area) another 2 nm each side. The T-route widths, however, do not expand when you get past 51 nm like V-routes.

Source: FAAO 8260.58A, but you need to refer to about three different paragraphs to piece this information together. I can provide more detail if you want it.

Last edited:
Back