Quick Tip: The Awesome “Windy” for Aviation Weather

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
You might ask “Why is Windy so popular?”, or maybe “What the heck is Windy?”. After using Windy for the past several years and over a thousand flight hours as my primary tool for mid- and short-range weather planning, I thought I’d document in both paper and video form how to get a jump start into using Windy. With how fast this software has evolved as both a website and app, I believe you’ll be hard pressed to match the breadth of the weather datasets, the choice of worldwide data sources (European, NOAA, Meteoblue), cutting edge graphics, and a compact user interface… oh, and it’s FREE. Have you tried Windy? Lately? What do you like best about the product, and what new aviation magic would you like to see from Windy.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the flight!
Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
(in no way affiliated with the company, simply an amazed user)

Primer on Windy: bit.ly/wam-windy

I love Windy. It has been part of my flight planning for some time now. So much information easily available using the time and altitude sliders. So quick to see wind forecasts for departure and arrival then look at winds aloft. Lately I have been using the cloud coverage and turbulence forecasts, too. I usually go to aviationweather first and go through my usual checkdown of weather products. Then I switch over to Windy to verify and enhance the info.

The mobile app is good, too. I usually use it once more before preflight on my phone.

It's a great tool to use. It does much more than is seen at first blush. If anyone hasn't used it, the video will help immensely.

Deelee, I agree with you on how useful and yet powerful Windy is.
Thanks for checking in,
Wayne

It's a great tool to use. It does much more than is seen at first blush. If anyone hasn't used it, the video will help immensely.
Dale, I agree... I've also seen a number of pilots be surprised at some of the hidden gems in Windy... and that was one motivation for throwing together this short video and Primer document.
All the best,
Wayne

I'm a Windy fan/user as well. The only deficiency I've seen, and it's a model issue, not Windy's, is the gust factor forecast in the ECMWF model is usually way over stated. Other than that, it's an awesome tool.

I'm a Windy fan/user as well. The only deficiency I've seen, and it's a model issue, not Windy's, is the gust factor forecast in the ECMWF model is usually way over stated. Other than that, it's an awesome tool.
Good point on the gusts. Interestingly, for short term winds aloft I almost always find the ForeFlight predictions understated... I believe they come from the MOS ala NOAA.
Thanks,
Wayne

Thanks for the tutorial, Wayne. I recall you using it for your airventure videos but didn't know how to access Windy. Now that I have I intend to make good use of it!!

Hadn't seen this website before. It's so much better than the sites I have been using. Thanks much!

Thanks for the tutorial, Wayne. I recall you using it for your airventure videos but didn't know how to access Windy. Now that I have I intend to make good use of it!!
You're very welcome. Enjoy!
Wayne

+1 For Windy. From 3-6 days out I first check surface winds to make sure I can land. Then check cloud bases if it's a longer trip and want to fly up higher. Finally scrub thru one last time under precip type. Just takes 5 minutes to check out a trip.

I wish they had a surface DA layer.

I wish I could show precip type and bases together somehow.

+1 For Windy. From 3-6 days out I first check surface winds to make sure I can land. Then check cloud bases if it's a longer trip and want to fly up higher. Finally scrub thru one last time under precip type. Just takes 5 minutes to check out a trip.

I wish they had a surface DA layer.

I wish I could show precip type and bases together somehow.
Brad, oh, cool idea about precip and bases together. Thx. Wayne

Back