What I like about the Avidyne IFDs

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
I installed the Avidyne IFDs - a 550 and a 440 - a year ago in my A36 Bonanza, replacing the Garmin 530W and 430W which were in the plane when I bought it. A year feels like a good time to look back and see how the IFDs have changed my cockpit. I've come up with a list of 12 things I really like about the IFDs.

Excellent video. I just upgraded my 540 to a 550, and have been very impressed with the Synthetic Vision. I also have a Dynon HDX display, so I already have synthetic vision, but without an EFIS, the IFD is an excellent option.

How often do you use the bluetooth keyboard? I haven't used mine at all, but I haven't given it a chance either.

I installed the Avidyne IFDs - a 550 and a 440 - a year ago in my A36 Bonanza, replacing the Garmin 530W and 430W which were in the plane when I bought it. A year feels like a good time to look back and see how the IFDs have changed my cockpit. I've come up with a list of 12 things I really like about the IFDs.

I also really like the IFD540, replaced a Garmin 530 with it. This year we added two G5's and a GFC500 autopilot. Now we have discovered a glitch when shooting RNAV LPV approaches. The airplane routinely is 300 feet left during the final approach. Our avionics shop manager tells us it is a common problem with the IFD systems. I thought it was in the GFC500 autopilot but apparently it is the way the IFD sends the information to the autopilot. Not an issue with ILS approaches just the LPV approaches.

I also really like the IFD540, replaced a Garmin 530 with it. This year we added two G5's and a GFC500 autopilot. Now we have discovered a glitch when shooting RNAV LPV approaches. The airplane routinely is 300 feet left during the final approach. Our avionics shop manager tells us it is a common problem with the IFD systems. I thought it was in the GFC500 autopilot but apparently it is the way the IFD sends the information to the autopilot. Not an issue with ILS approaches just the LPV approaches.
That’s really strange. My IFD’s are dead center with my STEC3100 while shooting an LPV.

Thanks for that review, Martin. I'm very happy with my 440 (540 was not in my financial plan).

This year we added two G5's and a GFC500 autopilot. Now we have discovered a glitch when shooting RNAV LPV approaches. The airplane routinely is 300 feet left during the final approach. Our avionics shop manager tells us it is a common problem with the IFD systems.
I've seen this reported a few times, so yes, it must be common. But many others have this combo (IFD/G5/GFC500) without a problem. Some discussion on BeechTalk suggests this is a configuration issue around whether the G5 uses its own internal GPS or not:

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2585763#p2585763

So I would put this in the "installation & configuration problem" bucket.

How often do you use the bluetooth keyboard? I haven't used mine at all, but I haven't given it a chance either.
The keyboards only good if it's more convenient to use. You have to find a good spot for the keyboard to be useful. It's great to have in bumps. It's also cool that it can be used with the IFD100 app and will change both the IFD panel unit and the data on the app.

IMG_7188 3.jpg

Having it on the yoke like your pic seems ideal. Someone on BeechTalk had posted a 3D model they created of a holder for the keyboard that mounts to the yoke. After making my original post, I ordered a 3D print of the yoke holder, I think that will make a big difference in usability.

Not related, but is that a 40" LCD TV on the right side?

Interesting. My COVID project has been three videos comparing the Garmin family and the IFD doing discrete tasks. Not a better/worse comparison, just highlighting differences, mostly as a way of teaching myself the IFD for the times I teach in an airplane with one. A navigation item on your wishlist - distance holds - was the first one I did (linked) and, so far, is the only thing I have come across which struck me as "missing" in the IFD as opposed to just following a different flow. As you point out, it will do it, but not easily.

From your video, I'm really surprised by the lack of an enroute vertical navigation autopilot feed. I would expect that to be an autopilot-end limitation, not an IFD one. Where it is available it's really awesome. I demoed it for a pilot - set a step down profile in a G1000 and had the autopilot fly in NAV/VNV modes from cruise to the FAF where tapping APR transitioned it to the glidepath. He was wide-eyed the whole time.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised by the lack of an enroute vertical navigation autopilot feed. I would expect that to be an autopilot-end limitation, not an IFD one.
Right - it's a matter of (1) autopilot capabilities, and (2) autopilot interfaces. The autopilot has to be able to do it, and the autopilot vendor has to tell the rest of the world what data to feed into it so it can do its job. The IFD already has 99% of the VNAV feature implemented, which is why I am optimistic that we'll see it with the IFD at some point as well.

- Martin

Right - it's a matter of (1) autopilot capabilities, and (2) autopilot interfaces. The autopilot has to be able to do it, and the autopilot vendor has to tell the rest of the world what data to feed into it so it can do its job. The IFD already has 99% of the VNAV feature implemented, which is why I am optimistic that we'll see it with the IFD at some point as well.

- Martin
I don't doubt it. If the autopilot is capable of VNV, I can't imagine Avidyne not interfacing to it (if allowed to; I assume Garmin is not allowing no-Garmin connection to its GFC line.) Since you are looking yo are much more in tune that I - what autopilots do have VNV capability?

(BTW, I use VNV for the enroute/terminal function rather than VNAV because of VNAV's meaning with respect to instrument approaches)

- Martin

Here you go Martin, your chance to put your questions to the experts.

https://avidynetraining.com/webinar?

Part of a wings program.

if its a garmin AP, you need Garmin Navigator for VNAV to work. else you get something close to VCALC and you have to tell the AP when to start descend, set the it in VS mode to ensure you are meeting the required FPM.

Having it on the yoke like your pic seems ideal. Someone on BeechTalk had posted a 3D model they created of a holder for the keyboard that mounts to the yoke. After making my original post, I ordered a 3D print of the yoke holder, I think that will make a big difference in usability.

Not related, but is that a 40" LCD TV on the right side?

That's just a large Ipad Pro

Response from the avionics shop manager, some parts removed that were not relevant:

"The Garmin Navigators output a Dynamic GPSS (GPS roll steering ) where the Avidyne only has Static GPSS. What this means is that the accuracy of the Left and Right inputs to the G5s and autopilot are increased with dynamic GPSS as you near closer to the airport. In standard GPSS static outputs do not change the tolerance allowing the autopilot to fly with in a larger acceptable area before it is corrected on approach giving you a 300 foot left or right of center line. This is normal for in flight point A to Point B navigating where being left or right of the center magenta line has no effect and is wanted because it does not make as many adjustment making the flight more enjoyable. Avidyne to this day has not proven a correct installation to me but every person I talk to that claims they have it installed correctly comes back to me after shooting to min 200 feet they may be off one side or the other at 3-500ish feet. The G5 is displaying the correct needle deflection because it does not use the GPSS information for displaying it just passes it to the GFC 500 through the GAD 29B which converts it to CAN buss. It uses more raw data that shows exactly where it needs to be. I know it looks grim but I and 4 other dealers are hounding them with this problem. This is not a Garmin issue as I have installed a 530w in place of the IFD on another aircraft and it fly’s it perfectly with no problems. and Garmin will not offer any support for the interconnect with their competitors."

Any further input will be appreciated???

Wow! Very interesting. I may just stick with my Garmin navigator, as I like the GFC 500 A/P unless Avidyne can solve the problem.

Back