Possible 3rd-class Medical Certificate disqualification due to old diagnosis

Joshua Moore

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joshua Moore
Good afternoon!

I'm obviously new here so I kind of wanted to introduce myself first. My name is Josh! :) I'm currently 27 and I've been interested in flying my entire life, but only recently have I been able to get to pursue it! I've flown a couple of times before on trips. Actually got to fly in the front of a couple of Citations cross-country and fell in love with it. This is where my problem arises and I didn't really know where to turn, so I figured this would be my best start.

I had kind of a rough life growing up in a household that I was very unhappy in, and some of that unhappiness manifested in the form of moderate periodic depression. Once I moved out of that home and had a chance to go actually talk to a qualified professional, I was VERY quickly diagnosed with bipolar disorder and thrown on medication that never helped me and only made everything worse. After a little while of being bounced back and forth on a bunch of crap, I basically fired that doctor and quit taking the medication. That was eight years ago and after growing up and not having any problems and never needing any medication, I'm fairly certain what was situational Depression was misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder. If I were able to see a psychiatrist and even get a second medical opinion proving that I was misdiagnosed, do you guys think that I would still be able to acquire a 3rd-class medical certificate?

I'm really sorry for the long winded first post, and I certainly hope it's in the right place. I just didn't really know where else to turn for advice before dropping the money and actually seeking out a medical professional.

1) Well, you're already posted under your real name....
2) You've already posted you were diagnosed (right or wrong is irrelevant at this timestamp) under your real name
3) Yes, you definitely need to see a qualified AME who's an expert in these matters. Any AME in the phone book won't help.
4) Just how bad do you want to learn to fly? If you want a 3rd class medical, it's going to take Big Bucks$$$ with the HIMS program and everything that goes with it.

Understand that qualified professionals rarely understand or even have any regard for FAA rules.

On the other hand, now that I've squashed your hopes don't give up....there are options such as Sport Pilot, aka the Driver Licence medical. No need to visit an AME, and you're on your honor not to fly if you don't think you feel well enough. Smaller airplane meaning only 2 people, limited in speed. But still loads of fun!

AggieMike, Dr B and others will be along with more details.

I understand I did post under my real name. I don't have anything to hide and if I can't actually get a private pilot's license, I'll take it with a grain of salt. I understand the stigma behind why the rules are the way they are. I'm not a qualified professional, but I do have regard for the rules, especially ones that involve me specifically! Lol

I do know about getting my sport license, but I don't want to be solely limited to a sport license. I was just curious because I know the people here are a lot wiser than me, so I figured I would ask some of the old hats first.

You didn't Crush my hopes! I sincerely appreciate the fast response. I just wanted to know if I had any Avenues in the way of petitioning a possible misdiagnosis and if that could yield any results. Thank you so much!

It is possible with a misdiagnosis, but it is t going to be fast, cheap, or easy. HIMS AME is a must to start with. You will have to see a HIMS psych to un-diagnose you. Not easy, but possible. Can’t stress enough though to start with a HIMS AME.

Figure somewhere between $5-10k and 6-18 months of testing to obtain an FAA medical if you want to get that in the near future. You will need to prove you are well with a full psychological and psychiatric evaluation with a forensic psychiatrist. As mentioned, you will need to be guided by a senior HIMS specializing in this sort of case.

OTOH, if this was 8 years ago that you went off the meds you could perhaps wait 2 years and then if you can prove you have been well for 10 years with no meds and no incidents, I understand it can be a somewhat less expensive and faster process.

In the meantime, perhaps also consider gliders, which you can fly without a medical. If you get a glider private certificate, you can then add powered planes as an add-on. You can also upgrade the sport pilot later to a full private, so both are routes to use in the interim while you get the medical issues sorted out.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you file an application for an FAA medical without the guidance of the senior HIMS AME. It can mess up your chances to use sport pilot in the future.

Last edited:
The only piece of advice I have is don’t give an AME a MedExpress application without knowing the path to take that will result in issuance. This means you will be doing consults instead of Third Class exam for a while.

1) Well, you're already posted under your real name....
2) You've already posted you were diagnosed (right or wrong is irrelevant at this timestamp) under your real name...
Just curious: If he hadn't posted under his real name, how would your advice have differed?

Just curious: If he hadn't posted under his real name, how would your advice have differed?
Advice would not have been different. But details he posted should be considered private, very personal and not searchable by anyone on the web, including possible employers (regardless of industry), school admissions,etc. People forget that nothing on the web is private.

Advice would not have been different. But details he posted should be considered private, very personal and not searchable by anyone on the web, including possible employers (regardless of industry), school admissions,etc. People forget that nothing on the web is private.
Aha, I didn't think about the non-aviation discrimination aspects of it.

Good afternoon!

I'm obviously new here so I kind of wanted to introduce myself first. My name is Josh! :) I'm currently 27 and I've been interested in flying my entire life, but only recently have I been able to get to pursue it! I've flown a couple of times before on trips. Actually got to fly in the front of a couple of Citations cross-country and fell in love with it. This is where my problem arises and I didn't really know where to turn, so I figured this would be my best start.

I had kind of a rough life growing up in a household that I was very unhappy in, and some of that unhappiness manifested in the form of moderate periodic depression. Once I moved out of that home and had a chance to go actually talk to a qualified professional, I was VERY quickly diagnosed with bipolar disorder and thrown on medication that never helped me and only made everything worse. After a little while of being bounced back and forth on a bunch of crap, I basically fired that doctor and quit taking the medication. That was eight years ago and after growing up and not having any problems and never needing any medication, I'm fairly certain what was situational Depression was misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder. If I were able to see a psychiatrist and even get a second medical opinion proving that I was misdiagnosed, do you guys think that I would still be able to acquire a 3rd-class medical certificate?

I'm really sorry for the long winded first post, and I certainly hope it's in the right place. I just didn't really know where else to turn for advice before dropping the money and actually seeking out a medical professional.

I can't really comment on obtaining a medical, but what is your end goal?

If you are just looking to fly yourself, Gliders and Motor gliders can be flown without a medical.

If you have not applied for a medical, then Sport Pilot may be an option (just limited to 2 seats/1302lbs gross/120knots)

I realize there is a strong chance you already know about these options, but just in case you don't....

Five federal air surgeons in a row have vowed to never certify anyone who might vaguely be bipolar.

The informal criteria for reconsideration include
10 years of no meds, no events, successful life test as documented on letterheads x 10 years
...and by appropriate heath professionals annually...(as in a clinical psychologist).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back