Buying a plane with a broken engine

Lots of talk and conjecture, but no real data about what's wrong with the engine. If I were OP, I'd want to see a report or estimate that leads to the conclusion that the engine needs cam and lifter work. I'm not doubting that it needs work, but without knowing what kind of work, we don't know if the engine is capable of an IRAN, or needs overhaul.

I think the issue is you are really not going to know the extent of the issues until you open the engine up. No seller in their right mind would allow that from a potential buyer. My take on this is that the seller knows he will not make as much money if he fixes it as he could make by getting someone to over pay while it needs repair.

Unfortunately $100k for 0 time engine 182s is the current market rate. Go get a O-520 O-520 conversion if the engine is busted. It does look nice but also, paint hides all problems.

There's plenty of decent 182s out there.

IMO, these 30+ year old airframe have no value left. You're buying the engine (and maybe some avionics if they are new) and the airframe essentially comes free. If you can get it for what the engine is worth in the condition it's in, fine. But I doubt it.

Unfortunately $100k for 0 time engine 182s is the current market rate. Go get a O-520 O-520 conversion if the engine is busted. It does look nice but also, paint hides all problems.

There's plenty of decent 182s out there.

That about lines up with what I was thinking. The fact the prop would work for a PPonk/XP470 increased the interesting-ness. If this was at a more local airport I'd be more inclined to consider it.

You are saying that any GA piston single manufactured before 1991 has a max celling value in the 40-80k range, no matter the condition of the airframe and avionics? One could call that a controversial viewpoint.:D

IMO, these 30+ year old airframe have no value left. You're buying the engine (and maybe some avionics if they are new) and the airframe essentially comes free. If you can get it for what the engine is worth in the condition it's in, fine. But I doubt it.

I think the issue is you are really not going to know the extent of the issues until you open the engine up. No seller in their right mind would allow that from a potential buyer. My take on this is that the seller knows he will not make as much money if he fixes it as he could make by getting someone to over pay while it needs repair.
Yeahbut...somebody along the way has said the plane has cam/lifter issues. What's the basis for that diagnosis? Are there documents? Estimates? If I were looking at that plane, I'd want to know more about how somebody reached the conclusion that it had cam/lifter issues.

Have I been looking at a different 182 market than everyone else? I’ll happily buy a $65k-$85k 182 with good paint, decent interior, GPS, adsb, and a functional engine. Seriously, please! :D
I watch it constantly. $70-80k+ is generally what it takes to get an older widebody 182 that doesn't have a panel older than my parents.

As a first time plane buyer, I am pretty sure this is a non-starter for me, but I thought I would ask anyway for the benefit of others: What are the risks/considerations buying a plane that needs engine work?

Let's assume it's in a state that may or may not be okay for a flight above the airport to see how it generally flies, but not something you would want to fly cross country home. Let's also say its a Continental 0-470 with "cam/lifter issues".
The engine is over 75% of the value of the rest of the airframe. The asking price is way high for an airplane with an engine that's gone "over the hill" and has known internal issues. At that price, you could well wind up with $100k + into a $60k airplane. (just my 2 pennies)

I saw this plane also and thought it looked good. An O470 would meet my needs regardless, so if I could get 30k for my 172, buy this airframe for 45k and put 50k into the motor, all other things checking out OK, I've got a 0 SMOH 182 for $65k net? That doesn't sound bad.

Wish we could figure out what is wrong with the engine..

I've determined at this point that is for someone more experienced in airplane ownership than I to figure out :biggrin:

I've determined at this point that is for someone more experienced in airplane ownership than I to figure out :biggrin:

Smart move. Your first airplane purchase should set you at ease (and anyone tied to you financially too.)

Back