Talk to me about Seattle....

. . . .

Unless you are particularly masochistic you'll be tired of the commute before the first week is out. And don't believe the stuff about "going opposite the traffic". The I5 and the 405 corridor are freaking nightmares, both directions, any time of the day now. Just too many people crammed into too small an area, with lots of geographic barrier constraints. "Going opposite the traffic" most often means you can move at a crawl, instead of being at a dead halt for extended periods of time. ;)

That sounds like the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) in New York City.

cbe.jpg

Rich

Obviously someone who is 58 would experience the same event very differently from someone who is 28
Just looking for current on-the ground reports about experiences.
You’re missing the point. It has nothing to do with age or flash bangs. Life as he and his other long term neighbors know has been permanently changed and their neighborhood permanently altered (damaged) by some short term residents and a bunch of strangers. It also has zero to do with politics in the neighborhood. Perhaps instead of waiting for “on-ground” reports you should walk through the CHAZ and give us a 1st hand review of what you see? All’s I can add is be thankful it doesn’t expand into your neighborhood.

Now maybe you can answer a question. Back in the day, the "progressives" if there was such a thing then, used to hang out at Alki Point and Pioneer Square. Why did they move to the Capitol Hill area?

First, welcome to the great Pacific Northwe(s)t. Yes, it rains a bunch around here. Seattle averages about 40 inches a year. No biggie, I live just outside Olympia and it averages 50 inches a year here.

The thing about Seattle is the incessant overcast nine months out of the year. And drizzle.

BTW, to not be immediately shown to be from out of the area, learn how to pronounce a number of the place names. Sequim is one of the famous ones. Remember that the "e" is silent. :D

Also:
Puyallup, where you have to swap the "y" and the "u."
Skagit, which is pronounced "Skadjit."

And in the realm of seafood, there are geoducks, which are pronounced "gooey-ducks."

Last edited:
You’re missing the point. It has nothing to do with age or flash bangs. Life as he and his other long term neighbors know has been permanently changed and their neighborhood permanently altered (damaged) by some short term residents and a bunch of strangers. It also has zero to do with politics in the neighborhood. Perhaps instead of waiting for “on-ground” reports you should walk through the CHAZ and give us a 1st hand review of what you see? All’s I can add is be thankful it doesn’t expand into your neighborhood.

Now maybe you can answer a question. Back in the day, the "progressives" if there was such a thing then, used to hang out at Alki Point and Pioneer Square. Why did they move to the Capitol Hill area?

Oh, I'm going to tomorrow, but let's just say I'm not impartial. So I would also like to learn how the other side is experiencing it, rather than just the Media & Talking head reports from 3000 miles away.

When is 'back in the day'? Capitol Hill rents dropped through the floor in the early 70's when Boeing did the 40'000 person layout. As a result of that a lot of artists, activists and LGBT community members moving in. Pride started there back in the early 80's. The Stranger has been there since the start. The gay bar bombing was like 30 years ago. Yes, sure it has changed since 1970 but it's not like the neighborhood has suddenly over the last 2 weeks or even last 2 decades taken a hard left. It's been 50 years in the making.

I've driven in Seattle a few times. A good friend lives east of there in Enumclaw and I've driven in the area to see other friends in Bellevue, Olympia, and to attend Mariners games. I grew up in a town of 1,500 people and can't imagine dealing with that traffic on a daily basis. I also lived in Bangkok for a while and I can't decide if the Seattle traffic is worse or not.

First, welcome to the great Pacific Northwe(s)t. Yes, it rains a bunch around here. Seattle averages about 40 inches a year. No biggie, I live just outside Olympia and it averages 50 inches a year here.

I'd strongly recommend against living in Seattle. As noted above, their politics have gone totally off the rails and it isn't a great place to call home. Especially if you are working in Kent. Live closer to there and save on the commute. I had a workmate who lived at Crest many years ago and he was quite happy with it. He's now gone (died a number of years ago of Prostate Cancer), but before he moved to Arizona he liked it there.

I'll support the Facebook group Pilots Above the Pacific Northwest. I hang out there, as well. As well as POA and others. Get on waiting lists for hangars in the area where you are going to live. Seattle isn't great in that regard, basically its KBFI to the south and KPAE to the north. Both are a good drive from Seattle. I'm based at KOLM, where our club has 3 planes. Not an issue for you as you have your own plane, but even here hangars have a waiting list.

Port Townsend (mentioned above) has a great restaurant on the field. The Spruce Goose is known for their pies. And the airport is supposed to reopen (their having their runway repaved) on the 20th of this month. The airport cafe at KPWT (Bremerton) was a great place, but they closed the end of the year and a new one will take their place when the new building is finished and reopens. BTW, to not be immediately shown to be from out of the area, learn how to pronounce a number of the place names. Sequim is one of the famous ones. Remember that the "e" is silent. :D

Again, welcome to the we(s)t side of the mountains. And remember, although many of the locals think what we Cougars know as the mistake on the lake is worth paying attention to, it really isn't.

Noooo!!! The airport cafe closed? I can taste the Fish n Chips as I type. When?

Stay far away from main street media on this one. I have good friends in that area, and nothing in the press on either side is anywhere close to accurate of what's actually going on. The "siege" is basically a combination of a block party, street parade and farmers market with people freely coming and going into the area.

If you want to find out what's actually going on, look for photos and video taken from the inside. A good quick source of local information with lots of postings from people who live/work in that area is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CapHillAutonomousZone/

Scroll through there and look at all of the photos and videos and see if it matches what you read in the media.

I would say that what you see going on in that area right now is an accurate representation of Seattle and specifically Capitol Hill culture. There are various events and festivals throughout the year in Seattle, and what's going on in right now is pretty indistinguishable from them. ....

Uhh Seattle ... that place is so f**** up that his so called free zone may actually be an improvement ... and that’s coming from somebody who has been commuting to work downtown Chicago via Gresham/Englewood ( thankfully Metra only) for the last 20 years.

Hope you do get some more information about hangars

Thread drift has probably already killed any hope of that. Par for the course....definitely got some good info out of this thread early on. I've got a good starting point. Some day I'll have to move to that mythical locale where hangars are plentiful.

Thread drift has probably already killed any hope of that. Par for the course....definitely got some good info out of this thread early on. I've got a good starting point. Some day I'll have to move to that mythical locale where hangars are plentiful.

Do get in touch with the guys from FATPNW. Its worth the effort. A lot of sublet and/or temporary hangar space gets made available via that Facebook group.

Noooo!!! The airport cafe closed? I can taste the Fish n Chips as I type. When?

December 31, 2019 was their last day. The airport was going to renovate their building (long overdue) and the 7 month (at the time) downtime was not going to work for them, so they pulled the plug. Now the new building won't be ready until after the first of the year. I hope the new restaurant is at least as good. Like any other airport cafe it has to be good enough to bring in the local traffic as fly in traffic alone won't keep them in business.

they are open

Which one? The cafe at KPWT is shut down. The Spruce Goose is open, but the airport (Port Townsend) doesn't re-open until June 20.

Do get in touch with the guys from FATPNW. Its worth the effort. A lot of sublet and/or temporary hangar space gets made available via that Facebook group.

Already requested access through FB. Awaiting approval. Thanks!!

Dude, fake an injury or move to Lithuania or something, anything other than move to THAT part of the PNW...

No, no, no... It's "Poo-wallop." Unless you're from the south. Then, it's "Poo-Y'all-up"! :cool::cool::cool:
I’m in SE Washington state. Heard a radio announcer once mangle “Puyallup” a few times before finally saying, “Isn’t that what Reagan had removed from his colon?”

Seattle. Only if you enjoy experiencing the good (?) and bad of massive concentrations of humanity every time you leave home. Once was a cool place. We now avoid it assiduously.

Little towns like Oak Harbor are nice places, but you are not going to commute from KENT.

I have lived in various parts of King County since 1960 and I love it. It does not rain a lot, but it has many days with precipitation. I do own a rain jacket that I wear maybe six times a year and own no umbrellas of any kind. Unless your wife is the Wicked Witch of the West and melts when wet, you will do what most of us do...ignore the mist and drizzle.

We live in Renton and go into Seattle as little as possible..your wife's expectations are delusional. I would not live in the city for any amount of money. Insofar as the plane is concerned, if you live in the city you are faced with a miserable drive to Renton, Boeing, Auburn, Crest, or Kent....if you can find a hangar at any of those airports. Buy a cover for your airplane and you will be money ahead (although covers are not cheap and are a headache if you are in a hurry).

The Olympic Peninsula is a great place to retire, once you reach that goal.

Bob Gardner

My favorite two words regarding SEA:

Dungeness Crab.

Go to www.zillow.com and check rental prices for downtown Seattle and compare them to Kent, Auburn, and Renton. You will see individual neighborhoods like Lea Hills and Lake Meridian in addition to the cities themselves.

We go into Seattle only for hospital visits and doctor's appointments...all of the downtown stores have branches at either the Southcenter or The Landing shopping centers and of course there are no "big box" stores in Seattle's downtown area. Caveat: There is more nightlife in Seattle than in the suburbs...a questionable rationale when looking for a place to live.

Bob

It rains. A lot...

Yup. I have known natives who left because they were "Sick and Tired of All The Rain".

For myself. I was fortunate to have been stationed in that area when in the military - and it happened to be over the summer (which was fine). Did about half my flight training
and took my checkride there. So I have some pleasant memories of the place (particularly the awesome scenery when doing cross-countries). Never lived in WA again, though.

Dave

Little towns like Oak Harbor are nice places, but you are not going to commute from KENT.

For sure. That commute would be horrible. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough that I was NOT suggesting this as a good solution.

This. No native would ever suffer the indignity of using an umbrella.
I'm a Seattle native and used umbrellas fairly often when I lived there. Many of my fellow natives did too.

Hm? I clicked on the quotation image in your post and the video played. Curious.
It works if I copy the URL into a separate browser tab, but not if I click on the embedded version. :dunno:

Well even if we can't all agree about umbrella usage, it is good to see some other PNW folk here :)

Downtown Seattle used to be a fun place to visit. Unless you like the sights and smells like feces, heroin needles, and emboldened criminals due to a police force that’s powerless to stop crime due to political agendas, it’s not anymore.

They got this cool place right in the center- you can do what ever u want.

Back