"Positive Flying" - T182T Configurations, Results

David Dow

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
davidvdow
Back in the 70’s, Richard Taylor & William Guinther wrote a book titled “Positive Flying”. The gist is the pilot’s job is resource management. He/she manipulates a set of controls to set up and maintain a desired attitude, applies the proper amount of power, and the airplane flies nicely all by itself. Book includes the numbers and configurations for a number of different aircraft including a 70’s vintage C182T. I recently acquired a 2009 T182T (w/ G1000) and need help coming up with the numbers and configurations for my new plane. Unfortunately, I believe both authors have been dead for years. Any suggestions?

I’ve included a copy of one of the charts for a C182T from the book.EPSON001.jpgEPSON002.png

I've used that book to determine numbers for any aircraft I plan on flying repeatedly.
I thought the guy was insane the first time I read it. Then the light went on. It's a staple on my book shelf now

Edit: I'm going to expand.

The cheat sheet he published for your plane is a place to start (he wasn't flying your plane). The first number you generally come up with is the number you would use in a hold, or to fly an approach (if ATC isn't hounding you to keep your speed up).

As an old example, I was taught to fly a C172 using 1900 rpm and trim level, no flaps would produce 80 knots. There's your first gift. You can lose your airspeed indicator and not be even slightly concerned because if you can set power to 1900 rpm and trim for level flight you already know you're at 80 knots. You're at the top of the white arc so flaps are okay. Nice, right? Full power and not touching flaps gets you (about 500 fpm up), at real close to 80 knots.

With the retract planes he gives you another gift: The inability to land gear up.

Using your chart you are finding that level flight value with 18" MP, 2350 rpm producing (he says, YMMV) 100 mph. That's not your cruise speed it's a lower speed used to help you fly stabilized approaches. Really, really stable. Lazy. Easy. IFR is hard enough, and mastering his theory makes it so you can concentrate on navigation and enjoying the ride.

And now I realize that his chart is not for an RG, but all is not lost because you really wanted to do this anyway.

If it were for an RG then all you would do for a 500 fpm descent is drop the gear and not touch the power. You leave a hold (assuming people still fly holds) at the fixed speed, fly to the intercept localizer and then when the glide slope comes in you lower the gear and don't touch the power. Missed approach? Gear comes up and the plane flies level. You've got a few seconds to declare you are missed and get your head in the game for the next lap. Now, increase power to your 500 fpm number (23" MP and 2350 rpm from his chart) and the plane climbs at (basically) the same speed.

Now, depending on the wing location and engine thrust line the numbers are super simple. In the C172 you can get 80 knots level, 80 knots descending at 500 fpm and 80 knots climbing 500 fpm with three power settings. If you look at his table you published you'll see the same power setting used for cruise descent as for level flight flight at the approach speed. From cruise you reduce power and when your target altitude is reached you just trim for level flight and don't touch the power.

I'm going to suggest you look over his pages for the Bonanza so you can see how he uses the gear properly. Then grab a companion to write stuff down and time while you fly.

You'll learn a bunch, including when to suck the gear up. His book is quite correct that at the "oh crap, go around" speeds the gear hanging out is probably not as big a deal as we were all taught when getting our complex endorsement. Some exceptions are planes like the Cardinal RG which was the first plane I did this for. The nose gear door is a big barn door right behind the prop and it was a noticeable improvement in climb rate to get rid of the gear as soon as practical. The 182 RG doors are different and the results will reflect that. I flew a 182 RG a bunch before I read the book.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

SkyDog58--you are correct on the model #. 182T would be recent vintage. Typo.

I flew a 1977 182 back in the 80's. I used the numbers in the picture with my original post. They were on a laminated card I kept on the yoke. Slight difference when compared to a T182T, but those numbers can be a starting point. Went for about 20-years and didn't fly. Last 10-years, I've been flying a 1999 7GCAA Citabria. Traded the Citabria and took delivery of my T182T about 3 weeks ago. Trying to get myself back "up-to-speed". Making progress with every flight.

I recently acquired a 2009 T182T (w/ G1000) and need help coming up with the numbers and configurations for my new plane.

Go flying. Take a notepad. Write down the pitch/power combinations necessary to achieve the desired result.

I’m surprised the concepts in the book are foreign to many.

Making a sheet of expected power and configuration settings and performance numbers is “Flight 1” in any Instrument syllabus worth using.

ESPECIALLY if the instructor is not familiar with the aircraft.

Then when you can “paint by numbers” for generic configurations and goals, it also helps you figure out when the numbers are WAAAY wrong.

Icing, partial pitot static blockage, gear still hanging down, whatever... if the numbers that should work in THIS airplane aren’t working, something is wrong.

Kinda like Bang Ding Ow, Wee Too Lo, and friends might have noticed in San Fran that the power setting selected was not appropriate, auto-throttles or none.

“Why do I need three more inches of MP than usual to maintain 90 knots level?”

You really can know your airplane that well. But if you don’t know, go find out.

I have that book myself. I just pulled it out recently to post a page to someone on Beechtalk who was wondering about the numbers for their plane.

I just got a T182T, and ran into this post. Did you end up creating a chart? Would you mind sharing it.

So, how does this work with trim? You set power them trim to performance?

It appears the book is out of print. Only seller on amazon must think this is a masterpiece at $200. I’ve seen it elsewhere for $6 used.

Go flying. Take a notepad. Write down the pitch/power combinations necessary to achieve the desired result.

I did an IPC about 7 years ago after being away from flying for about 20. That’s the first thing the CFII had me do. Get the numbers for 500 FPM descent/climb and certain air speeds.

What goes in the pitch box?

Back