Just awful..cannot even imagine

A while back -
https://apnews.com/2e5ced11a31098248aadb5f1000c840c
Novice Parachutist Killed in Fall Onto Helicopter Blades

″The helicopter was hovering a few feet above the ground when the woman parachuted down,″ said police Inspector John Dawson. ″Near the end of her descent, she went off course and landed on the helicopter.

It was a new skydiver. Who miss judged his landing point. The field is of the old military triangular types with plenty of room to land yet Everyone tries to land right next to the taxi way so they don’t have to walk as far. The owner has preached multiple times to stop doing this and has even closed operations early when people kept breaking the rules.

How many jumps must one have before going solo (non-tandem)?

I guess being blown off target does happen. I used to live a mile south of SkyDive Carolina and they still occasionally landed in my pasture (1/4 mile or so off target).

When looking for more information on this accident, I find that there appears to be >1 fatality per year. Must be a busy place.

They do keep busy.
When I lived in proximity, the local news reported their incidents. My rough recollection is that a sizable number of their fatalities were suicides.

I guess being blown off target does happen. I used to live a mile south of SkyDive Carolina and they still occasionally landed in my pasture (1/4 mile or so off target).

I don't know how it is now, but the tandem was never a requirement. With either static line or AFF, you are on your own from the first jump. When I did it the students carried a small UHF radio for the instructor to give directions from the ground, mostly to orient students who got lost towards the dropzone.

If they do accelerate free fall program (AFF), it's only one tandem jump, then the next jumps have instructors with you during free fall but once you pull the cord, you're on your own.

There was this sequence of photos taken of a Cessna hitting a skydiver just before it touches down.
Ron Wanttaja

I did it static line. So first Jump was by myself. No AFF and No Tandem prior. My first Tandem was when I was going for my instructor rating 5 years later.

Back