Icon again

Strange failure, interesting to read the cause when it is determined.

This may be the first Icon loss not attributable to the pilot.

You have little faith in the NTSB.

“Probable cause: pilot’s failure to ensure propeller blades were properly attached to hub. Contributing cause: pilot’s failure to hold aircraft above surface of water.”

Now waiting for someone to chime in that the pilot was a SP or on Basic Med and a Class 3 would have prevented this.

NTSB: Probably cause: Pilot's failure to anticipate an unexpected failure not previously experienced in any airframe/propeller combination in the history of flight where the part is not visible to inspection. Contributing: Pilot's consumption of Cheerios (tm) instead of Wheaties (tm) at breakfast two days ago leading to pilot's inability to paddle the ship to shore prior to it sinking.

FAA: Pilot must have done something wrong. 5 hours remedial training with CFI or if the pilot is unwilling to admit error 30 day certificate suspension followed by 5 hours remedial training with FSDO inspector who will be available in winter 2025.

The FAA obsession with feigned contrition has always amused me. :D

Reminded me of CEN14LA305:

"During the examination of the accident site, all of the airplane’s structure was found except for the propeller blades. The day after the accident, the airport manager found two of the three propeller blades while he was mowing grass. Photographs of the two propeller blades showed damage consistent with the in-flight separation of the blades. Neither blade exhibited impact or thermal damage. The breaks at the hub were not bent but pulled straight out. The reason for the in-flight separation of the propeller blades could not be determined."

What is the Icon's propeller material? Composite?

Ron Wanttaja

Maybe they should have given the coast guard the investigation.

AFAIK, it’s a Sensenich fixed pitch three blade.

Cheers
:yeahthat:
Although the A5 propeller has ground adjustable pitch, ICON doesn't permit prop pitch adjustments.

ICON A5 POH said:
7.9 PROPELLER

The A5 uses a Sensenich, 3-blade propeller. The blade construction is hollow carbon fiber and fiberglass with UV protection. The blade leading edges are equipped with metal erosion shields. The two-piece hub is made from anodized aluminum.

NOTE:
Although the propeller is ground adjustable, ICON does not permit propeller pitch adjustments.

Someone posted on reddit it is : Sensenich 3 blade. Carbon fiber, hollow construction. 3B0R5 is the model. As Stan pointed out it is adjustable, but Icon doesn't want you messing with it. I'm thinking to lose (or loose, lol) all three blades it probably had a hub failure, my guess any way.

Did the propeller detach somehow or did the blades themselves fling off

Sensenich is not some fly-by-night company, will be interesting to figure out the cause..

That will buff right out. (After the holes are patched with Liquid Rubber.)

Cheers

Did the propeller detach somehow or did the blades themselves fling off

Sensenich is not some fly-by-night company, will be interesting to figure out the cause..
I'm wondering if somebody messed around with the pitch adjustment and didn't secure it properly after adjusting. I believe - but am not certain - the attached 3B0R5 instructions are for the ICON A5 prop and there are warnings throughout. A calibrated torque wench is required to change the pitch, and it's a complicated process requiring incrementally tightening the bolts to 50%, 70%, etc., of the ultimate torque setting.

I'm sure the investigation will reveal all.

Attachments

• 3B0R5-Installation-Instructions-rev-C-2018-10-02.pdf
    612.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Word is that the pilot was washing his plane just before, had some speakers/music while doing so. He may of left the speakers in place, they then came into contact with the prop during takeoff.

That seems like a logical explanation.

Word is that the pilot was washing his plane just before, had some speakers/music while doing so. He may of left the speakers in place, they then came into contact with the prop during takeoff.

That seems like a logical explanation.

The prelim must have been updated:
- - -
According to the pilot, he taxied downwind on the water for takeoff. When facing into the wind, he applied full power and about 5 seconds later, heard a "loud bang". He shut down the engine, climbed out, looked back, and saw that all 3 propeller blades were missing. At this point, the airplane started to sink. He and his passenger donned life jackets and evacuated the airplane.

Substantial damage was noted to the airplane's fuselage, including holes in the hull.

Several days later, the pilot recalled that before he taxied out, they washed the airplane. During the wash, he had placed a portable speaker on the top of the airplane to listen to some music while they worked. He did not recall putting the speaker away before departure. The pilot added, "that the speaker must have rolled over the engine compartment and into the propellers ..."

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board Investigator In Charge, the pilot stated that he has not since located the speaker.

- - -
So perhaps it is pilot error after all.

That's hard to believe. But then, everything about the Icon is hard to believe.

- - -
According to the pilot, he taxied downwind on the water for takeoff. When facing into the wind, he applied full power and about 5 seconds later, heard a "loud bang". He shut down the engine, climbed out, looked back, and saw that all 3 propeller blades were missing. At this point, the airplane started to sink. He and his passenger donned life jackets and evacuated the airplane.

Substantial damage was noted to the airplane's fuselage, including holes in the hull.

Several days later, the pilot recalled that before he taxied out, they washed the airplane. During the wash, he had placed a portable speaker on the top of the airplane to listen to some music while they worked. He did not recall putting the speaker away before departure. The pilot added, "that the speaker must have rolled over the engine compartment and into the propellers ..."

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board Investigator In Charge, the pilot stated that he has not since located the speaker.

- - -

I love the honesty of the guy, dumb mistake, good on him for owning up to it. Preflights are important.

I love the honesty of the guy, dumb mistake, good on him for owning up to it. Preflights are important.

In my experience, being honest and up front in these situations makes things go easier for all involved, including the pilot.

I once witnessed two different gear up landings within a couple of weeks of each other. First pilot got out, confessed he gooned it, investigation consisted of a 5 minute phone call with the FSDO.

Second one pilot got out and blamed the airplane. FSDO came in, spent a day looking at the plane, another day talking to the pilot all day. Never found a thing wrong with the plane or gear system.

In my experience, being honest and up front in these situations makes things go easier for all involved, including the pilot.

I once witnessed two different gear up landings within a couple of weeks of each other. First pilot got out, confessed he gooned it, investigation consisted of a 5 minute phone call with the FSDO.

Second one pilot got out and blamed the airplane. FSDO came in, spent a day looking at the plane, another day talking to the pilot all day. Never found a thing wrong with the plane or gear system.

Makes perfect sense without having anything to do with honesty. A pilot screw-up ends with that pilot, but an airplane problem could effect all owners of the model.

Makes perfect sense without having anything to do with honesty. A pilot screw-up ends with that pilot, but an airplane problem could effect all owners of the model.

That's exactly why honesty is important. I saw a presentation by an NTSB or FAA inspector, who talked about some accidents he investigated. He said the toughest ones to investigate were the ones that were obvious operator error, but the pilot would insist something failed on the aircraft. Would turn into a big deal where many people such as engine and airframe manufacturers would have to get involved to investigate the "problem".

- - -

- - -

That was a hell of a pre-flight. :rolleyes:o_O

^I mean.. the Icon makes easy pickings but how many people have left a tug attached or chocks in place. "Check for speaker removal" is not on any checklists and depending on where it was I could forgive someone for missing it on their walk around

Embarrassing for the guy

"Check for speaker removal" is not on any checklists and depending on where it was I could forgive someone for missing it on their walk around

Another case for always making a second, final walkaround before climbing aboard. Or the rough equivalent for a plane in the water - a “swim around”, so to speak.

"Check for speaker removal" is not on any checklists and depending on where it was I could forgive someone for missing it on their walk around

I will be willing to bet that he never makes a mistake like that again.

I wonder if his insurance will cover him for that? "Auxiliary sound system not approved by the aircraft manufacturer."

Actually, it is...
Moron left a Bluetooth speaker on top of the cowl while they were washing it, and forgot it was there. Propellor likely cracked when it hit, and came apart shortly after.

Back