A row of small Kansas TFRs

I'm curious what device and activity warrants the TFR (besides the chemtrail guess)

My guess? Testing drones for pipeline patrol.

Wonder what increase in power ya get when instead of air fuel mix into the jugs the carb sends fuel mixed with natural gas fumes into em! Puts nitrous to shame I be!

Wonder what increase in power ya get when instead of air fuel mix into the jugs the carb sends fuel mixed with natural gas fumes into em! Puts nitrous to shame I be!
At first glance, that sounds like a good idea. But you will have a richer mixture if you fly through a natural gas plume. Natural gas is mostly methane, a hydrocarbon similar to gasoline, and it will use some of the oxygen when it burns, along with the gasoline which should be vaporized in your cylinders, too. This means you can lean you mixture, and use less gasoline :)

If the plume has enough gas in it, you can pull the mixture back to idle shut-off, and fly for free!:D Methane has a high enough octane rating that you may avoid detonation, too.

See these quite often in Kansas. Natural gas release just like it says in the text of the NOTAM

Man, it's gotta be bad to have to put up a TFR when folks in Kansas break wind.....
shy-fart.gif

Yeah, but all the aerodynamics change when flying through methane molecules vs nitrogen, oxygen, and water vapor, no?

They are building a new pipeline in that area. Just drove south of Princeton the other day.

Yeah, but all the aerodynamics change when flying through methane molecules vs nitrogen, oxygen, and water vapor, no?
I wouldn't say aerodynamics changes. Natural gas is less dense than air, so it plane would act like it was flying at a higher altitude.:)

Back