My Dad sent me a photo...

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
Dad has been going through old photos, and found this one.

On Sunday, May 26, 1968, my dad called me into the kitchen. He said "You are done with school for the year. I've made arrangements with your teachers." I was eleven years old, and was puzzled to say the least.

He said "Dick and I (his best friend) have rented an airplane, and we are going to Indianapolis to see the 500. It's on Thursday. You're going with us." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Talk about an adventure! Early the next morning we went to the airport, and loaded up the almost new 182K they had rented. Dick's son Jeff was going along too. We flew from Albuquerque to Indianapolis that day, arriving late in the afternoon. We stayed with Dick's family members, and on race day, my Dad's high school buddy Bobby Unser won the race. The next day we headed back home.

I've never seen this photo of N2565R before. That's me, the tall kid with brown hair and white shirt, standing in front of my dad. When the photo arrived, the first thing I did was check the registry for the plane. It's still in active use. It belongs to a company in Pearland, south of Houston. When Dad rented it, it was only eleven months old. He thinks they paid $18 per tach hour to rent it.

Going to Indy was the one of the coolest things I've done. Twenty five years later it led to me working in the sport as a "weekend warrior" for nine years. I flew to every race on the schedule to work as a mechanic, including multiple Indy 500s.

Pretty cool, huh?

49978872628_fd2e2d02d4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great picture!

Value your time with you parents! My dad passed a year ago April, I came across this picture the other day. It was taken about 30 years ago and now I look so much like him. He is second from right and I am far left. Mom is now 85 and is in failing health, she took the picture. Hopefully she will recover. It is no fun dealing with this during the Covid lock downs. Ray, far right passed a few years after the picture was taken and now his wife, next to me, is not doing well. Dad flew for the airlines about 30 years, DC-3 to DC-10, and finished his career flying allover the world in corporate 727's. Ray flew corporate from Lodestar's to Falcon's and got me into Corporate flying.

Starduster (1).JPG

That’s a awesome photo and story. Would be cool to someday try and get up in that 182 again or at least see it.

Great picture!

Value your time with you parents! My dad passed a year ago April, I came across this picture the other day. It was taken about 30 years ago and now I look so much like him. He is second from right and I am far left. Mom is now 85 and is in failing health, she took the picture. Hopefully she will recover. It is no fun dealing with this during the Covid lock downs. Ray, far right passed a few years after the picture was taken and now his wife, next to me, is not doing well. Dad flew for the airlines about 30 years, DC-3 to DC-10, and finished his career flying allover the world in corporate 727's. Ray flew corporate from Lodestar's to Falcon's and got me into Corporate flying.

View attachment 86474

My dad is 86, and his health is pretty good. But I know I could lose him at anytime. Mom passed away in 2011. Thanks for sharing your photo and story.

My dad is 86, and his health is pretty good. But I know I could lose him at anytime. Mom passed away in 2011. Thanks for sharing your photo and story.

It can all change in a second. Mom was doing great then fell on the back porch, on mothers day. Fractured her pelvis, 3 vertebra and broke a collarbone. Now in a rehab center.

Great picture to go with a great memory!! My dad took me to the Indy 500 one time, we went to several NASCAR races per year, so Indy was a treat for sure. My problem was that they were leaving at 10:00 on Friday morning with the motor home, and I had a 10:00 final in business law. The professor, a local attorney was like the professor on the TV show, The Paper Chase! No nonsense, matter of fact guy that intimidated everyone including an 18 year old freshman. :eek: I was scared to death to ask him to take the exam with the 8:00 class, he wanted to know what was so important that I couldn’t wait 2 hours? I thought about making something up, but knew he’d see through me, so I told him I had a chance to go to the race. He told me to have fun and he’d see me at 8:00. I met the motor home out of our driveway, parked my car and jumped in! Great trip! :D

Great picture to go with a great memory!! My dad took me to the Indy 500 one time, we went to several NASCAR races per year, so Indy was a treat for sure. My problem was that they were leaving at 10:00 on Friday morning with the motor home, and I had a 10:00 final in business law. The professor, a local attorney was like the professor on the TV show, The Paper Chase! No nonsense, matter of fact guy that intimidated everyone including an 18 year old freshman. :eek: I was scared to death to ask him to take the exam with the 8:00 class, he wanted to know what was so important that I couldn’t wait 2 hours? I thought about making something up, but knew he’d see through me, so I told him I had a chance to go to the race. He told me to have fun and he’d see me at 8:00. I met the motor home out of our driveway, parked my car and jumped in! Great trip! :D

Yeah, but what sort of grade did he give you on the exam? :)

That’s a awesome photo and story. Would be cool to someday try and get up in that 182 again or at least see it.

I called the registered owners, the airplane is in a hangar in Pearland and they said I'm welcome to come by and check it out. The guy I talked to got a good chuckle out of the story. I'm gonna call Dad and tell him about it. :D

Cool photo, but I have a qestion:
Just how the heck tall are you anyway?

Cool photo, but I have a qestion:
Just how the heck tall are you anyway?

I'm 6'2". My dad is (or was, he's a bit bent over now) 5'11", his friend Dick was 6'7". Dick passed away several years ago, he was a tall man!

... We flew from Albuquerque to Indianapolis that day, arriving late in the afternoon. We stayed with Dick's family members, and on race day, my Dad's high school buddy Bobby Unser won the race. The next day we headed back home. Pretty cool, huh?

Very cool! Background: The Unsers live in Alburquerque. I got to see Al Unser Jr. totally destroy everyone at our track in a spint car around 1980 ... he lapped everyone, and we even had a few, how do we say "aggressive drivers" that tried and missed.

Very cool! Background: The Unsers live in Alburquerque. I got to see Al Unser Jr. totally destroy everyone at our track in a spint car around 1980 ... he lapped everyone, and we even had a few, how do we say "aggressive drivers" that tried and missed.

I spent many Friday nights at Speedway Park and Albuquerque Raceway watching Little Al gas it.

I spent many Friday nights at Speedway Park and Albuquerque Raceway watching Little Al gas it.

The best burritos I ever had were at El Paso Speedway park ... there hasn't been a restaurant since that has even come close. Didn't matter which type you ordered, they were ALL awesome.

Back