Foreign Flight Training

cessna182b

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DAVID JOHNSON
Quick question: Is Foreign Flight Training creditable toward a U.S. Certificate?
My son is an off-and-on student pilot (mostly off, as he is working in a European country during the school year). Due to Coronavirus, he may be stuck over there (with time on his hands) this summer. So if he does obtain part of his training overseas - is it creditable?

I took a quick look through the FAA Website - but did not see the matter addressed.

Thanks

Dave

Try calling one or two major pilot mills with your question.

61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:

(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either—

(i) The United States; or

(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.

(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.

Yes, per 61.41. the practical test endorsements will have to be done by a US CFI. Make sure the training meets the Part 61 requirements and document it as such. Makes the DPE happier when reviewing the paperwork. My experience so far with Singaporean and Australian applicants using training from back home is they are better than the average US CFI at documenting the training to part 61 requirements.

Back