What Gear Should I Buy?

What I fly with -

two flashlights, DC headset, kneeboard, iPad. I feel like that is overkill.

If the plane I’m in doesn’t have a Stratus, I also bring my Pi based stratux.

As far as the flashlights are concerned, no overkill there. You know the first one is gonna have some batteries you found in the junk drawer from 2012 and inevitably punk out on you after less than minute

Headset. Buy the one you want in the long run - Any "cheap" headset you buy and then replace later is wasted money. I like my Lightspeed Zulu PFX, but if you want "cheap" get a Sierra and use it for passengers later. (Don't subject your pax to passive headsets...)

iPad (get a cellular model, even if you don't plan to get a cellular subscription) and a subscription to ForeFlight. Basic Plus is OK for now, Pro Plus might be worthwhile if you plan to begin pursuing your instrument within a year.

I have an entire bag of Sporty's crap I never use somewhere, just like most pilots. Really, everything aside from the iPad and headset is optional, and you can use charts instead of the iPad if you must. There's a reason iPads are so popular among pilots, though.

You probably already have a decent LED flashlight, right? Take it with you for night flights. (For storing dead batteries, of course.)

You can load up with survival gear, backups to your backups to your backups, etc... But the most effective way to spend your money on safety is to spend it on a good instructor, getting more instruction than you "need", and renting from places that maintain their planes well.

Gear I have with me on each flight:
  • ANR Headset (Lightspeed Zulu.2)
  • Kneeboard, notepad, pen,
  • iPad with ForeFlight
  • Fuel tester
  • Sentry ADSB Receiver
  • pens, pencils, highlighter, dry erase marker
  • Charging cables and battery brick, extra AA and AAA batteries.
  • Suction cup mount for iPhone XS
  • ASA CX3
  • 2-LED Flashlights, 1 LED Headlight.
  • Spare set of eyeglasses
  • (optional) Logbook, but only on days when I know I need to capture instructor signature
  • Wallet with money, payment cards, medical, pilot certificates.

I have it all in a SwissGear computer backpack I got from Walmart. Holds everything with rooms/pockets to spare, and I only spent $45.00

As said several times, there is catalogs upon catalogs of items you could purchase, but don't need. Just start with the basics and add in as you need the item.

Gear I have with me on each flight:
  • Kneeboard, notepad, pen,
  • iPad with ForeFlight
  • pens, pencils, highlighter, dry erase marker
  • ASA CX3
  • 2-LED Flashlights, 1 LED Headlight.
  • (optional) Logbook, but only on days when I know I need to capture instructor signature

I carry all those with me on each flight too, but they're all the same thing!

Reminds me of Jobs' initial iPhone reveal - About 1:25 to 2:55:

Last edited:
My "checkride backpack" contains the following... and, keep in mind, I don't necessarily carry all of this stuff when I go flying in my own airplane.

- Headset
- iPad (Mini 5)
- Apple Pencil
- Handheld transceiver
- Leatherman multi-tool
- dedicated multi-bit screwdriver (I actually use this a fair amount)
- 22,000mAh backup battery to charge devices (I use this a lot too)
- LED flashlight (plus I keep a tiny LED light on my lanyard with my badge/ID/etc.)

That's about it. The one thing I don't carry at all any more is paper and pen.

And the only device in that group that I haven't needed in many years is the handheld radio.

By the way, @86Aviator , you will also need a view limiting device for your training on flying by instruments. "Foggles" are the most popular device. You have your choice.

The Sporty's solution:

upload_2020-6-5_18-22-52.png

Or the nearly identical Half Fast solution at less than 1/10 the price:

upload_2020-6-5_18-24-23.png

Ha! I think I'll be supporting Sporty's to the tune of $17. I'm not that crafty, plus I still have a ways to go before I get the 50 lb tell-tale flight bag of a newbie! :)

Or the nearly identical Half Fast solution at less than 1/10 the price:

Has anyone ever tried painting a pair of safety goggles with Elmer's glue (not the dries clear stuff) for foggles? I feel like that should work, and it might even last longer than tape.

Has anyone ever tried painting a pair of safety goggles with Elmer's glue (not the dries clear stuff) for foggles? I feel like that should work, and it might even last longer than tape.

Try it. The goggles are cheap.

The tape lasts just fine, though, and is easily replaced.

My flight bag is just a sport duffle.

If you wear glasses and plan on continuing on to your instrument rating I suggest an old school hood. Easier to manage and doubles as a sun visor. Also better than foggles imo.

Link

I also recommend a Sentry. Connects with FF and also has a CO monitor.

I started with DCs off of eBay. Still have them and that’s what the wife gets. I now have a pair of Lightspeed Sierras that I bought from @pigpenracing

When I fly with a cfi or cfii I also have a voice recorder that plugs into the intercom with a pigtail. Super helpful for remembering everything your cfi tells you in the air that goes in one ear and out the other.

I prefer pen and paper in the cockpit. Some use the electronic writing, Apple Pencil or whatever. When the sheet hits the fan or just to make sure you have it, better to use paper and pen.

Two portable lights and batteries (AA and AAA).

For your written and oral you better make sure you can do everything via what is in the plane. No iPad, etc. You will need a manual E6B or something like a CX3. Just stick with the manual version it’s easier. My oral didn’t really get into the flight planning stuff in detail but yours might.

Since I fly out of a Bravo, or from under a Bravo (depends on the airport) I do keep a yoke mount for my iPad mini which I generally use every flight. It works in all of the club planes. I also carry a full size iPad as a backup along with my iPhone. And paper sectionals but not necessarily current. If I have to refer to them when all else fails I’ll probably be the subject of a thread here.

What else? I use a Garmin watch to track flights. Nice to go back and look at how approaches, holds or patterns look. Also great for exact miles flown and helping track fuel burn more efficiently. Also bring a portable charger for my phone and iPad.

I bring along water, my logbook which has my current medical taped inside, my license to drill holes in the sky, my DL and a credit card. I also bring cash along on extended trips for tips to line crew or FBOs if I use a crew car. Also if you wear glasses, a second set is recommended just in case as noted above.

Paper towels, a quality Phillips and flathead screwdriver, a portable radio and if carrying passengers barf bags. And dang close once to needing them. Wife normally is fine but felt a bit sick one flight. We think she ate too much the morning of. I landed, made it to parking, and she was like “I need out now”. Thankfully a line guy was there with a cart and he took her to the FBO right away.

All that junk fits in the duffle easily except for a second headset.

Back