Airforce 1

A1Topgun

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron
Does Airforce 1 or Marine 1 ever squawk a code?

Last edited:
Its my understanding that Marine 1 flies in groups so nobody knows which is actually Marine 1. I imagine they fly as a 3 bird formation and only one squawks a code for ATC to track and communicate with.

They do and they show up on an ATC scope as "A1" and "VM1" respectively.

One of the reasons controllers have security clearances.

The President visits Maine and an AWACS loiters nearby, just in case it is needed.upload_2020-6-5_14-24-44.png
upload_2020-6-5_14-24-44.png

Its my understanding that Marine 1 flies in groups so nobody knows which is actually Marine 1. I imagine they fly as a 3 bird formation and only one squawks a code for ATC to track and communicate with.

That is correct. See it all the time when they come to NYC.

They do and they show up on an ATC scope as "A1" and "VM1" respectively.

One of the reasons controllers have security clearances.
Probably not. A1 and the others are call signs, not N numbers or other identification.

Probably not. A1 and the others are call signs, not N numbers or other identification.

As long as the flightplan callsign associated with that squawk is A1 or VM1 it would correlate to that target on the scope as A1 or VM1. The same way Delta 1234 shows up as DAL1234 on a scope and on a strip. Without the flightplan in the system, the datatag the controller sees shows your squawk code (not accounting for ADSB), be it 1200 or a discrete code. If you get a discrete squawk, you're callsign - be it Delta, Air Force, Gunslinger, the N number, etc - is input and associated with the squawk code.

Yes they squawk. Yes it shows up as either AF1 or VM1 on the scope. Technically it’s no longer A1 but AF1 ID.

8ECC104F-283B-4ECE-88A6-80B417659ACA.jpeg

When did it change to AF?

The C9 dates that strip a little bit!

Changed in the .65 in 2009. You can see the bold black line to the left indicating a change. Before that, Air Force One used just the “A” for filing just like any other Air Force aircraft. Not that many use “Air Force” anyway. Except A1, all the Air Force aircraft that I worked in ATC used squadron call signs.

Doesn’t seem like any logic to the change. What makes no sense is the RR reverting to R for family members but yet AF stays AF.:confused: Got to be “R2F” once while flying in the Army.

68DF17C1-256E-4BB2-8CBF-FAB2E12B3F50.jpeg

Back