would you fly over it?

StevieTimes

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StevieTimes
I read about this, but as a flat-earther (from Minnesota, not much elevation change), don't know if I have ever seen this.

IMG_20200604_065608_01.jpg

bad cell phone picture, my apologies

As a passenger in a 737, sure. What mountain is that BTW?

What fun! I never heard that story before. Sounds like he'd fit right in with the modern "flying cowboys" style of bush flying.

[In best Paul Hogan accent]. "Those aren't lennies...THESE are lennies...."
View attachment 86375
Ron Wanttaja

Giant UFOs spotted over Mt. McKinley.....again.

I flew tours around the big one one summer. In a maxed out C-206, up to 10,000 msl. I really learned how to read mountain winds and what to look for to avoid turbulence.

I'm guessing Mt. Shasta. I've flown by it (not over it) many times en route to destinations in Oregon and Washington.

Mt St Helens. Lets' toss in "volcano" to spice things up

Last edited:
Domenick nailed it... Mt. Rainier, south of Seattle. A key giveaway is the little peak on the left... Mt Tahoma.

Ron Wanttaja

@wanttaja
In a louder Paul Hogan accent: Little ones, maybe. Now THIS is a lennie!

View attachment 86383

-Skip

Yeah? YEAH? So here's not only lennies over Mt. Rainier, but downwind of Mt. St. Helens as well (the lennies on the right)!
lennie3.jpg
Had a clear day last week, and could see FOUR volcanos at pattern altitude: Rainier, Baker, Adams, and St. Helens.

Ron Wanttaja

Mt St Helens. Lets' toss in "volcano" to spice things up
Been there, done that.
MTSTH-1.jpg

Attachments

• MTSTH.jpg
    MTSTH.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Spirit Lake.jpg
    Spirit Lake.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
We can ask Air Wagner if he would

Don’t forget Mt. Hood. In the same chain and can be very spectacular. Never been over the top, but have flown past the north and south faces many times.

The summit of Mt. Rainier is 14,410 MSL. I've never flown anything that high. I go around it. I remember one time, years ago, when the CFI I was riding with wanted to take a closer look as we were coming back from the east side. I turned towards the mountain and SEA center came on the radio saying, "I know what you're doing!" I agreed and told him that we'd be back on course to KOLM shortly (with a laugh in my voice).

For those who want to see what it looks like from below the summit (flying at 12,500 MSL)... Back in 2001 (a year after I had passed my PP check ride).

Mt Rainier fm 12500 MSL.jpg

With Mt. Rainier's proximity to Seattle, Boeing often poses photos of airliners with the mountain.

Back in the '60s, Pete Bowers did the same with the first Fly Baby....
Fly Baby Rainier.jpg
Guy on the ground caught my own Fly Baby crossing by the mountain....
rainier_flyby.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

The summit of Mt. Rainier is 14,410 MSL. I've never flown anything that high. I go around it. I remember one time, years ago, when the CFI I was riding with wanted to take a closer look as we were coming back from the east side. I turned towards the mountain and SEA center came on the radio saying, "I know what you're doing!" I agreed and told him that we'd be back on course to KOLM shortly (with a laugh in my voice).

For those who want to see what it looks like from below the summit (flying at 12,500 MSL)... Back in 2001 (a year after I had passed my PP check ride).

View attachment 86400
that is about as close as I get as well. Took my family on a flight around the mountain at about the same height but the SD card was corrupt and I lost all but 3 photos. One that survived was my month old baby in his car seat with earmuffs on next to 3 year old brother in the back of an Arrow.

that is about as close as I get as well. Took my family on a flight around the mountain at about the same height but the SD card was corrupt and I lost all but 3 photos. One that survived was my month old baby in his car seat with earmuffs on next to 3 year old brother in the back of an Arrow.

It's good that photo survived. The mountain will look about the same the next time you have a chance to fly around it. The kids, not so much.

It's good that photo survived. The mountain will look about the same the next time you have a chance to fly around it. The kids, not so much.

5 years.... hard to believe but I stopped working on my Com and CFI to look after them once I retired from the Army.
AidenFinn11SepInPiperArrow.jpg

Back