Insurance companies

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
Has or does anyone have the good bad or the ugly for aviation insurance companies. I looked at BWI for insurance and have a quote from Avemco insurance. I'm sure there others so am curious about other options for rental insurance.

Last edited:
Why do you want renters insurance??? Isn't the plane you rent already insured? I don't get it.

Why do you want renters insurance??? Isn't the plane you rent already insured? I don't get it.
In order to rent the aircraft solo the flight school requires insurance on me to basically pay the deductible of their insurance if something happend. Their insurance covers every while recieving dual.

What he says, below. It seems common now for FBOs to require renter's insurance now.
In order to rent the aircraft solo the flight school requires insurance on me to basically pay the deductible of their insurance if something happend. Their insurance covers every while recieving dual.

Because the owner's insurance doesn't protect you, it protects him. If you're negligent and wreck his plane, insurance pays him and sues you.

Because the owner's insurance doesn't protect you, it protects him. If you're negligent and wreck his plane, insurance pays him and sues you.
And similarly, if you wreck something or someone else with the plane, the injured party is going to sue you directly so you'll want your own liability policy as well.

Has or does anyone have the good bad or the ugly for aviation insurance companies. I looked at BWI for insurance and have a quote from Avemco insurance. I'm sure there others so am curious about other options for rental insurance.
I've just finished looking at this and conclude that EAA's program through Falcon has rates more favorable than AOPA's or Avemco's for what that's worth. I had a policy through EAA last year, just passed my ASEL checkride and decided to up my insurance mainly to cover my hull-replacement exposure. The plane is valued at $75k on the owner's policy. While salvage will reduce the loss amount there could be significant loss of use if the airplane is not totaled. Lost use is included under EAA's PhysDam coverage. The FBO [owner's] policy provides limited liability coverage but no hull coverage.

Back