o300 broken lifter

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
09632475-B8CC-4EE2-BEEF-7372D8CB26F4.jpeg
anyone see a broken lifter assembly like this on a o300? Causes?

Was putting new pushrod gaskets on and saw this.

Rest of jugs are being taken off and case split to Iran.

Can't image what caused that other than a cold shut in the casting. Very strange.

I broke a lifter assembling an O200 once exactly like that. The pushrod socket had fell out of the lifter and as we rotated the engine it cocked in the cover and busted it almost exactly like that. That’s why they should have a snap ring to hold the socket and hydraulic unit in the body.

I have no idea if yours suffered the same fate

There are two types of 0-200/300 lifters, one does not have a spring clip to hold the lifter cup in place, with out it, this damage can occur when the push rod is removed, because the cup and lifter hydraulic unit can be removed without the lifter body removed.
I have not seen this type in a long time.

Can't image what caused that other than a cold shut in the casting. Very strange.
Actually it happens when the cylinder is removed, the old type lifter has nothing to hold the lifter cup and hydraulic unit in place due to the sucking action of removing the push rod.
old A&Ps knew this was a common thing. :)

I have seen mechanics throw the cup away and then wonder happened ? it will run poorly with out the cup.

View attachment 86051
anyone see a broken lifter assembly like this on a o300? Causes?

Was putting new pushrod gaskets on and saw this.

Rest of jugs are being taken off and case split to Iran.
I would not worry about it when is operating properly.. it happens all the time with the old type lifter.

A cam kit will fix it :) because the new lifters have a clip to hold the cup in place.

Thanks for the replies.

I was surprised when my mechanic texted me that and said he had to split the case, he was pulling pushrod tubes to replace with the real gasket conversion kit.

Thanks for the replies.

I was surprised when my mechanic texted me that and said he had to split the case, he was pulling pushrod tubes to replace with the real gasket conversion kit.
the next step is a rebuild, because the cam and lifter set will be toast.

I'd suspect the lifter has been that way since the last cylinder change.

Did the Mech find the pieces ?

the next step is a rebuild, because the cam and lifter set will be toast.

I'd suspect the lifter has been that way since the last cylinder change.

Did the Mech find the pieces ?

Yes it was broken outside the case.

The cam and cranks measured in spec, was surprised it wasn’t ground to 10 under so had to get a nominal set of bearings and will throw it back together.

Thought about doing a overhaul but will all cyls 70+ I figure it’s probably not worthwhile cost wise, and any future buyer will probably change Motors anyway.

Yes it was broken outside the case.

The cam and cranks measured in spec, was surprised it wasn’t ground to 10 under so had to get a nominal set of bearings and will throw it back together.

Thought about doing a overhaul but will all cyls 70+ I figure it’s probably not worthwhile cost wise, and any future buyer will probably change Motors anyway.
lucky. total time ?

Back