Not open for further replies.

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I’m curious, I don’t personally know anyone who has COVID and many that I talk to also say that they don’t know anyone either. I know there’s a lot of people who say someone has it, but do they actually know for sure? My question is, how many of you know someone who legitimately has the virus? Not just ones who *think* they have it, but have been 100% confirmed to have coronavirus?

I know one person (an old guy)) (I know of a couple of others, but have never met them). He had it, spent a week in the hospital, and is now counted as someone who recovered (too bad people are only focused on deaths and cases while ignoring the number of people who have recovered, especially elderly)

One of my part 107 students got it pretty badly, spent a while in the hospital, and is doing a lot better now.
One of my internet friends I've had for about 10 years got it pretty mildly, and is almost back to normal again.

Pretty sure a friend had it but was unable to test because it was in the mid-March time period when test kits were still scarce. Lost taste/smell and felt blah for 3-4 weeks.

But by the strictest interpretation of your question, the answer would have to be "no".

Just got back from a wake for my friend’s dad. Also a woman from my parents’ church had it like a month and half ago.

I don't know anyone who has tested positive. I've seen a bunch of people who "think they had it" going back all the way to last year but more likely they had the flu or a bad cold.

I live in one of the rural areas basically untouched by the virus, our case count still stands at 1 with 0 active. Seems like other than the occasional pocket of outbreaks through close-knit social circles the rural areas really aren't seeing it. Everyone keeps saying it's gonna hit us and hit hard when it does but we're 2months in now and nothing yet.

Both parents, confirmed cases. Caught it skiing in CO.
Mom, pretty much asymptomatic. Did not recognize issues till after.
Dad, ventilator for two weeks, hospital stay for 42 days total.
Expected rehab is roughly six month. Making progress everyday, but the muscle loss is brutal in your 70s.

There medical professionals, all family friends of a co-worker. All confirmed, one dead. Two recovering.

Tim

One guy, now recovered. Early 50's, male. He said it was "like the flu on steroids" for a few days, followed by a couple of weeks of feeling less than a hundred percent.

Rich

One (I wrote about the couple being quarantined on the Princess cruise boat). He tested positive for antibodies after his return to work with the sheriff's department. Was completely asymptomatic - had no idea he had it.
His wife, who is high risk, didn't get it. So, just how highly contagious is this, again?

One of my employees had it. He was out for two weeks, back on the job now. Another one of my employees lost his cousin two weeks ago, confirmed positive, died at home a few days later. Another employee lost his best friend about 4 weeks ago.

Two of my relatives (brother and nephew) and their partners were ordered to quarantine at home early on but were not tested because... well I'll leave it at that lest I offend someone.

He tested positive for antibodies after his return to work with the sheriff's department. Was completely asymptomatic - had no idea he had it.
His wife, who is high risk, didn't get it. So, just how highly contagious is this, again?
So, just how accurate was that antibody test?

(I hear there's several and they vary in accuracy)

Five.

Three neighbors had it in January, two tested and confirmed. All three had no idea what it was and worked in retail/grocery/food service and in home renovation contracting throughout.

One hospitalized briefly. Not tested. Assumed. Various other medical issues, mid-30s. Hospital stay was eight hours or so. (Overnight.) O2 levels fell dramatically then recovered, didn’t matter how much O2 was put in her face. Sent home with O2 bottle to recover.

All of the above, three weeks recovery. Two weeks on O2 for the latter. All reported “waves” of feeling better, then not. Mentally / emotionally draining when you’re unprepared for that.

One is distant. Friend of a good friend’s dad lost his 21 year old kid. Dead in three days. Thing went wacko in him. He didn’t stand a chance. They suspected something else was wrong but didn’t find anything.

Another co-worker of Karen’s is sick again. This is number two. First was negative. We’ll see in three days on the latest one. Karen also got tested, negative so far.

Of course the best test we have besides the actual active virus test, is now said to be up to 50% inaccurate, so it’s basically useless information now.

Three: one confirmed and hospitalized. Two with very strong classic symptoms but unable to be tested at the time of the illness. They haven't done antibody testing to my knowledge. Additionally several of my friends have been quarantined due to sustained exposure of known CV patients but showed no symptoms.

Friend's daughter had it. She's a very healthy 20-something. She was out of it for three weeks.

One. My instructor darnit. He's older than I am. (I'm 64+)

As a result, I remain an un- reviewed rusty pilot. Waiting for the instructor I've chosen to get well soon!

I pray for him. We hit it off so well. We did the ground review... But I have yet to get in the air with him...

I keep saying I'll fly again... I'm beginning to wonder.

Sigh...

Charlie, feeling sorry for m'self.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

One woman from our church had it. She has other medical problems along with being 86 but seems to be recovering. She lives in assisted living.

Another male, mid 60s that smoked heavily along with other medical problems such as emphysema passed away last week, assumed, but not confirmed to be the Chinese virus.

Myself, I managed to sprain my left thumb a couple hours ago and refusing to obey the wife and go to the local hospital. I got it back in place with maximum yelling and other words.

edit: Forgot to add that I am left handed....

Last edited:
So, just how accurate was that antibody test?

(I hear there's several and they vary in accuracy)

A very good question, sir. I've heard the same. And like a lot of what we've been told as sworn "by the experts", I don't know.
These tests are (were?) the ones the sheriff's department and probably all the other state agencies depend on?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html

"The virus that causes COVID-19 is spreading very easily and sustainably between people. Information from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic suggest that this virus is spreading more efficiently than influenza, but not as efficiently as measles, which is highly contagious."

as posted in a different thread here - "why have the homeless populations in the major cities not been hugely impacted?"

Not a one. The wife had patients and a couple of coworkers that caught it presumably while on duty at the hospital. But no one in any of my circles.
As an aside knew a couple of acquaintances that lost children to opioids.

as posted in a different thread here - "why have the homeless populations in the major cities not been hugely impacted?"

Is there data to show they haven't been? I don't think I've seen infection or mortality data broken out that way.

Good friend and fellow pilot at the airport lost his MIL. She was in assisted living. He said 9 days from a positive test until she passed away.

Another younger guy at our airport who is in fantastic shape. In late January his symptoms were dead on for Covid. But since it was late January "it just couldn't be here yet" I guess. He had crazy breathing problems for about 10days. He had just started feeling bad the day they flew to Disney (Orlando). He said everywhere he walked when they stopped he would lay down to rest/breathe. He also had a strong fever. Even went to the ER while down there. Now he kids around that he was the original host :)

Pretty sure this thing was brewing around in the USA way before the end of February or when it broke out in WA state.

One. He died in late March after a week in an induced coma on a ventilator in ICU. A week before he got sick he was on a Caribbean cruise.

I know one person who tested positive back in March, a coworker. Thats been the only person I personally know who was covid-19 positive. Interestingly enough he came to work sick and nobody else got it here and I know his son and nobody in his family got it.

Two of our neighbors who got it in March are here wth me now. One of them had to go to Florida when his father died and almost certainly picked it up on board the aircraft or in one of the airports.

Two.

One employee who went on spring break cruise to Mexico and central America. By the time he came back our company had imposed a 2 week self-quarantine policy for foreign travel. On day 12 he started showing symptoms. Went to ER. They weren't going to test him until he told them he had traveled out of the country, Took about a week for fever to break. Wife and two children who went on trip and were also quarantined with him were asymptomatic the whole time.

A church member who works in a grocery store. It had been in the news that someone at the store had tested positive a while back. Did not know who it was till church started having services again and my wife & kids went back and brought that news home.

I know two people that have died from it. I also know a couple of other people who were pretty sick from it, but recovered.

Have had work exposure (I'm in the medical field) several times.

My next door neighbor had it and was down 6 weeks. Our Telluride ski trip concluded the day before they closed the resort .... My neighbor was on their way there as they were closing (was not announced) spent the night at the closed resort and returned home ... we were on the same road and nearly identical stops that Saturday, just opposite direction ... only difference, they went to Walmart in Durango:eek:

Last edited:
Hmm make it six. Forgot about the co-worker’s 97 year old grandma. Caught it in the fully locked down nursing home, of course, and survived. Almost no symptoms but tested positive.

Is there data to show they haven't been? I don't think I've seen infection or mortality data broken out that way.

Not that I've seen. I have seen the Nursing home data reported "on"* separately
*(to distinguish "news reporting" vs official reporting)

I just assume that if it were a significant data point, it would show up in the news.

At least here, they (the City) has decided that being outside in tents is better than being in a shelter. One more vote for not spreading so much out of doors.

Also, I'm guessing that homeless people don't interact much with people that did international travel.

No real answer but perhaps the populace stays far enough from them so they aren’t exposed. Also the homeless may have so many anti bodies in their systems such that some are effective against the Wuhan Fru

With only one half of one percent (1 in 177) of the population having been confirmed to have the Corona virus, I'm not too surprised that most of us don't personally know anyone whose had it.

I did a chest x-ray on one patient that was "rule out COVID-19" before I retired. And, my wife has cared for a couple of patients that had it. But, neither of us personally know anyone whose had it.

...Another younger guy at our airport who is in fantastic shape. In late January his symptoms were dead on for Covid. But since it was late January "it just couldn't be here yet" I guess. He had crazy breathing problems for about 10days. He had just started feeling bad the day they flew to Disney (Orlando). He said everywhere he walked when they stopped he would lay down to rest/breathe. He also had a strong fever. Even went to the ER while down there. Now he kids around that he was the original host :)

Pretty sure this thing was brewing around in the USA way before the end of February or when it broke out in WA state.
The first known U.S. Covid-19 death that I've heard of was in January, in the south San Francisco Bay area. It wasn't known to be that at the time, but it was determined by a later autopsy.

I had a relative who died testing positive, but she was 80 and had lung cancer. I personally know at least two others, one on the east coast and one on the west.

With only one half of one percent (1 in 177) of the population having been confirmed to have the Corona virus, I'm not too surprised that most of us don't personally know anyone whose had it.
aifJ22x.png

:idea:

Last edited:
I know 2 people who have lost a family member, and a relative who lost a co-worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back