Siruisxm radio

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive way to receive siriusxm radio in an airplane. I know a subscription is required. I do not require the aviation weather service, only music channels. I could use a separate piece of equipment that sits on the glare shield but it would need a way to connect to the airplane's power source and headphones and also automatically stop receiving music when a radio transmission is being received. Thanks.:)

need a way to connect to the airplane's power source and headphones and also automatically stop receiving music when a radio transmission is being received.
FWIW: check with your mechanic, but power can be provided via a aux/cigarette receptacle (or USB) and if you have an intercom box with aux input capability you can run the music through it which should mute during radio calls plus hear it via your headset. Have connected a number of CD/MP3 based music systems this way.

Just thought if you’re looking for a low cost approach. There is a good selection of portable and automotive solutions that will work. Your audio panel has an aux in jack or your headset with Bluetooth capability like the Bose A20, you can stream music.

Last edited:
Any Garmin dedicated aviation portable will do this. 396, 496, 696, Aera, pretty easy

That would be perfect except I have a 430w mounted in the panel. Thanks anyway:cheerswine:

Something missed here. A 430W is NOT a dedicated aviation portable, and therefore not in the list I offered.

For example: I HAVE a 430W and a 696. Looks like this. (the one on the right gets XM radio and pipes it through my audio panel)
panel.jpg

I bought a lifetime subscription portable XM receiver on EBAY about 5 or 6 years ago. Plug it into the aux input in the plane and the car, power of the 12v cigarette lighter.

I bought a lifetime subscription portable XM receiver on EBAY about 5 or 6 years ago. Plug it into the aux input in the plane and the car, power of the 12v cigarette lighter.
Sounds like a neat trick. What make/model receiver did you use?

Sounds like a neat trick. What make/model receiver did you use?
Sirius Starmate 4. It came with a dock, I bought an extra, plus an extra antenna. I can grab the radio and move it between the docks, one in the plane, one in the car.

I have a Bluetooth XM receiver and Bluetooth audio panel. I just take it out of my car and put it into my plane for longer flights. It is powered by the cigarette lighter in the plane.

My GPS Map 396 provides the XM radio sources in addition to the XM weather. Audio is muted when radio calls come.

Back