This is absurd.....

Captain Larry

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Larry Nelson
Regarding todays Space X liftoff.

"Liftoff is set for 4:33 p.m. ET from the same spot at Kennedy Space Center where the last space shuttle launched to the moon in 2011."

This is the news feed from something called mlive.com, on my Extreme News feed. This is what happens when pimple poppers are allowed to work in a news gathering/disseminating role. I must have missed that Space Shuttle moon mission in 2011.

Is there even an editor in the pipeline the proofs and fact checks?

"Liftoff is set for 4:33 p.m. ET from the same spot at Kennedy Space Center where the last space shuttle launched to the moon in 2011."

This is the news feed from something called mlive.com, on my Extreme News feed. This is what happens when pimple poppers are allowed to work in a news gathering/disseminating role. I must have missed that Space Shuttle moon mission in 2011.

They probably didn't file a flight plan.

Rich

Seems they are whistling a different tune now...

"Liftoff is set for 4:33 p.m. ET from the same spot at Kennedy Space Center where the last space shuttle launched to study the moon in 2011."

Source: https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/05/...dragon-astronaut-launch-as-its-happening.html

So....why didn't NASA ever send a space shuttle to the moon.??

I am sure it would have been a lot more comfortable than one of those Apollo capsules.

Then again, the shuttles probably were not approved for off pavement landings.....

I am sure it would have been a lot more comfortable than one of those Apollo capsules.

Then again, the shuttles probably were not approved for off pavement landings.....

Have you ever priced tundra tires?

Now imagine NASA approved tundra tires... It would have blown the entire fuel budget.

Not to mention the fact that the shuttle was a rocket launched glider (is there an endorsement for that?) and had no way of taking off on its own. It would have been a one-way trip.

If the shuttle had been a taildragger they might have tried such an off-airport landing. :)

Not to mention the fact that the shuttle was a rocket launched glider (is there an endorsement for that?) and had no way of taking off on its own. It would have been a one-way trip.

The shuttle wasn't a great glider in the earth's atmosphere. It would have really sucked as a glider in the lunar vacuum.

One of these days Alice...

01d1488ae9c654e00c80250fa426baa9.jpg

Clearly an error. It was 1998, two shuttles, and an asteroid. And a crew of roughnecks.

Nauga,
a Samuel L. Bronkowitz production
I'm just happy Ben was able to successfully jump the Armadillo, otherwise we wouldn't even be here today.

You have to give them a little credit. They didn't claim that the space shuttle actually made it to the moon.

Have you ever priced tundra tires?

Now imagine NASA approved tundra tires... It would have blown the entire fuel budget.

I don't know if there is an endorsement for that now, but Germany used to have one:
JAK_4122 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

The ss main engines were actually quite powerful, and it doesn't take much speed to reach moon escape velocity.... with a long enough runway..... maybe with a ramp at the end lol. Of course there's no atmosphere, but the engines did have vectorable thrust. Would be fun to play with in kerbal space program.

I also wonder, more seriously, if the payload bay would've been big enough to carry enough fuel to get to the moon & back. And would the existing stack have been able to lift it? Maybe slap a couple more SRBs on the side... that always works in KSP. The original pitch for the shuttle was to build a space station as a jumping off point for the moon and Mars, but only the shuttle was funded.

The official feed had two people talking over each other, the guy from NASA and the girl from SpaceX. Both Idiots in my opinion. And if I have to hear the drone ship is named "Of course, I still love you" one more time I'm going to puke.

The official feed had two people talking over each other, the guy from NASA and the girl from SpaceX. Both Idiots in my opinion. And if I have to hear the drone ship is named "Of course, I still love you" one more time I'm going to puke.
I liked the last point you made. I don't think those two are idiots. They are simply answering the questions the vast majority of morons have. At times it sounded like they were literally responding to questions being posted somewhere by the average moron that knows nothing about flight or space flight.

I actually liked the reporting. It was "fun". Not stuffy like the old NASA. And they generally had the facts correct.

I watched the discovery channel version. Didn’t even know the drone ship had a name.

I had to look it up...

The robotic ships that serve as landing platforms for SpaceX rockets now have names that honor legendary sci-fi author Iain M. Banks.

Late last month, SpaceX's billionaire founder and CEO Elon Musk announced that he had named the company's first spaceport drone ship "Just Read the Instructions." The second autonomous boat, which is under construction, will be called "Of Course I Still Love You," Musk added.

"'Just Read the Instructions' and 'Of Course I Still Love You' are two of the sentient, planet-sized Culture starships which first appear in Banks' 'The Player of Games,'" Tor.com noted last month. "Just as the Minds inhabiting each Culture ship choose their names with care, you have to imagine that Musk did the same here."
https://www.space.com/28445-spacex-elon-musk-drone-ships-names.html

Spacecraft I've worked on over the years have ended up with informal names during construction; often they continue to be used once they're operational. "The Queen" and "The *****" refers to a pair where one was nearly perfect during testing, and the other one had to be continually disassembled and worked on.

Favorite pair of names came from a later program. Our chief ground segment software designer developed breast cancer, and returned to work just in time to work on the new program. She still had reconstruction left. She mentioned at an early planning session that her plastic surgeon had asked her, "Do you want the 'Perky' model, or the 'Sporty' version?" So the first two vehicles were named Perky and Sporty.

Ron Wanttaja

Back