Aera 796 audio

Tom Braeunig

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tom B
I have a Garmin Aera 796. I know it give aural alerts for terrain, traffic etc, but how do I connect to it so I can hear the alerts in my headphones.
I have the Garmin yoke mount which has a cable with a 3.5mm headphone jack,but I'm not sure how I would use that.

I am unsure whether or not the 3.5 mm jack will output the alerts from the 796, but should output the XM Radio audio. You could try an audio cable from the mount to your headsets if your headsets are capable of that. I have mine "panel mounted" in a dock with a tie-in to the audio panel. I am pretty sure the alerts I receive are from my GTN650, but I at least see the alerts on it for traffic and terrain.

IMG_0620.jpg

I am unsure whether or not the 3.5 mm jack will output the alerts from the 796, but should output the XM Radio audio. You could try an audio cable from the mount to your headsets if your headsets are capable of that. I have mine "panel mounted" in a dock with a tie-in to the audio panel. I am pretty sure the alerts I receive are from my GTN650, but I at least see the alerts on it for traffic and terrain.

View attachment 86216
That's a nice looking installation! I'll check my headsets to see if I have a 3.5mm input jack. Or I could try it with a separate earbud to see if I get sound that way.
I have submitted the question in to Garmin support.

Back