Flight review - flights against regs in logbook

C

CFIQ

I am a CFI and was recently asked to perform a flight review for an experienced pilot. I have noticed in this pilot's logbook that they have been performing flights with an expired flight review. They have been doing this for a number of months/years, it wasn't just a few flights. The regulations do not state that a logbook audit be part of the flight review, it was just something I noticed. I have two questions. 1) Am I still able to sign this person off after a successful flight review? (Ground and Flight portions), and 2) Am I obligated to report the illegal flights to the FAA in any manner? I am not an FAA employee, simply a CFI.

Thanks

How do you know it isn't in Foreflight?

No, you're under no obligation to rat on him for not having signatures in his log book. If it looks like mine, you might just be missing it.

Thanks for the reply, and I tend to agree with you... not my job to police it. When I asked him about his last flight review he confessed it was "awhile ago", and that he was knowingly flying without a flight review in last 2 years. So cat was out of the bag so to speak.

Kind of a follow-up (or maybe a precursor) to @bflynn's question.

Did you discuss the lapse with the pilot to determine whether or not it was a lapse at all? There are plenty of reasons why it might not be.

But if it was a lapse, yes you can give him a flight review (and I would absolutely discuss privileges and currency as part of the ground portion) and no, yo are not obligated to report anything to the FAA.

Of course you can sign them off if they successfully complete the FR. A FR has no connection to past events of any sort - if they pass, you sign them off.

There is no obligation to report anything, and as @bflynn states, you may not have all the information anyway. Perhaps the last CFI signed it off on a sticker that is still at the pilot's house because he forgot to stick it on. Who knows?

I have had this situation, and I did go ahead and make sure that currency and FR requirements were a main topic of the ground portion.

Odd this pilot would fly illegally and then suddenly get a flight review. Maybe it was a mistake? Did you ask them about it?

You said the guy is experienced - could he have been a professional at one point? My logbook has no evidence of a flight review since 2006.

If you're curious, just ask him.

His past history has ZERO bearing on you. He asked you to perform a BFR for him. If he met the standards for a sign off, than you’ve fulfilled your duties and you are done. It’s not your job to throw other pilots under the bus or audit their logs.

Pilot: "I've been flying without a BFR!"
CFI: "Yup, that's a problem."
Pilot: "What can I do to fix it?"
CFI: "Get a BFR. And be sure the CFI reviews the rules about currency and stuff. Then you'll be legal again."
Pilot: "OK! ...Should we get started with the BFR, then?"
CFI: "Absolutely!"

Congratulate him for getting back on track and tell him you'll see him two years from now for his next Flight Review. You fixed his problem.

In this situation, wouldn't the CFI have to acting as PIC, though?

Sure, turn him in to the FAA. Its not he'll suspect you were the one who dropped a dime on him. And its not like he'll mention that suspicion to anyone else. And its not like any of those people would ever think twice about using your services nor would they ever tell anyone else to think twice about ever using your services. Nope. No risk there at all.

The last thing you want to do is punish people for coming clean or rectifying a mistake.
I completely agree with you

And at the risk of thread drifting, this is partially why the current medical policy is frustrating for many.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I just needed to ask the question and hear the answers to solidify my thoughts/actions (if that makes any sense). Thanks for the input.

If he had met the flight review requirement through the Wings program, would that necessarily show up in his logbook?

Why would you do a log book review for a flight review?some pilots don't carry their log books for all flights.

I've got to wonder why someone who knew they were flying illegally would bother to log those flights.

One time er, ... a really good friend of mine forgot to get his BFR (that's what they called them at the time). When he figured it out he called up his CFI and wen to do one, confessing all. The CFI said it was water under the bridge, there was nothing he could do about it, and they should just move on from there. Years later I can't imagine what he would have done about it.

FWIW, the FAA compliance program is designed with the intent of not punishing who make good faith attempts at returning to regulatory compliance. As an instructor, I'd take a similar approach to determining when I'd report someone.

All that said, if the pilot in question is providing the aircraft for the flight review, I'd want a good look at it's logs. Someone who has taken liberties on meeting pilot currency requirements is likely to have missed certain requirements to keep the aircraft airworthy. As acting PIC of the flight, that responsibility is on you as well.

Seems like that would be a good point to cover...in great detail...as part of your ground school to make him current before signoff.

FWIW, you’ll never find a flight review endorsement in my logbook but I’m still current.

In my 25 some odd years of flying, I have never done a BFR/FR for myself.

When I get a current medical I will have to try this FR thing since I don't plan to fly for a living again.

The relevant flights would.
True, but the logbook entries wouldn't necessarily identify the flights as having been used for Wings credit. For example, the last time I renewed my CAP Form 5, I used that flight to qualify for Wings credit without any mention of Wings in my logbook.

In our club we do a FR every year. In over 60years our club has been around we have only had 1 fatal(due to entering instrument condt), so something is working. We justify one year because many only fly a few times a year and its good for us as a club to make sure they brush up on waning skills, keeping themselves and our aircraft intact. Personally I'll use any excuse to fly including a flight review. I look at it as a fun way to review skills with a friend and someone that typically has more experience than I do and likes to teach as CFI's usually do well. As far as the question at hand. Ive never had my CFI grill me on the logbook. They will peak at whatever I have them sign, but not to create a punitive environment, rather in case they catch something I overlooked to help ME.

His past history has ZERO bearing on you. He asked you to perform a BFR for him. If he met the standards for a sign off, than you’ve fulfilled your duties and you are done. It’s not your job to throw other pilots under the bus or audit their logs.

That pretty much sums it up, in my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back