I told the wife that I would never get a motorcycle...

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I said that I would never ever get a motorcycle. Not another risky hobby. Not another toy to maintain. But, browsing you tube I came across a well produced video on starter bikes and it does look like a lot of fun. Not looking at big Harley things or crotch rockets. But this Suzuki TU 250X looks like just the thing to run to the airport or a fun run down a local country road to get ice cream. Sort of a convertible without having to find room in the garage for another car. $4K new is fine by me. I was surprised that you could get something new so inexpensive. But at 6’2” and 275 pounds is it too small? And at 58 am I too old to start this kind of thing?

have u ever rode before? the problem I see with that bike is it's like buying a 150 as ur 1st plane....within a week ur gonna want something bigger, wider, faster, etc.... and if for some reason you don't, is ur wife REALLY gonna be ok with it? if so, fk it, go for it!

The size and speed of the motorcycle you’re riding doesn’t matter. It’s the size and speed of the car that hits you that will kill you.

I don’t mean to be a downer here. I’m a trauma surgeon and have seen motorcycle accidents. That said, there’s never been a time in my life since I was 18 that I didn’t own at least one motorcycle. It’s a manageable risk, depending on your defensive driving skills. Your risk of getting killed is directly proportional to the number of intersections you have to drive through on your way to the airport or ice cream store. You have to assume that every car on the road that you see is trying to kill you.

Do make sure that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course if you can find one close to you. They are a great introduction. If there isn’t one close to you...well, you know that last $100 hamburger you bought...?

And yes...6’ 2” and 275 is going to be a lot of rider on that little Suzuki.

i have no idea...but interesting. It's been a long time since I looked at bikes, but I didn't know anyone was even making what I call a straight motorcycle like that anymore. Seems like everything I've seen has been either a crotch rocket, what I call a mini crotch rocket, or a cruiser harley type of thing.
...well add to that the dirt bikes. I've see a few road worthy dirt bikes that look fun to me. I used to ride as a kid and had loads of fun doing it.
oh, and then there are the electric ones that while designed like mini-crotch rockets, look like a lot of fun.

Anyway, don't do it. You told her you wouldn't....unless she's telling you to do it, in which case of course, go buy it.

Strong second on the MSF Course.....well before considering any purchase

I second MacFly's recommendation to do a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course FIRST... then think about a motorcycle. You may change your mind after the course. Target fixation is an issue, as is reaction speed, and the ability to modulate your brakes (especially your front.)

As the former owner of a California Scooter Company (CSC) RX3 motorcycle, I can say that 250cc is OK, but it introduces its own problems. You won't have a lot of acceleration to avoid incidents, so it's all braking and situational awareness. A 250cc is enough to get you in trouble, but not enough to get you out of trouble. It is good for light weight travel as picking-up a motorcycle is no fun whatsoever once you drop it. Don't get me wrong, the CSC RX3 has its place, and the new RX4 (with the 450cc single) is a more powerful iteration of it.

One thing you will want to consider carefully: The ground (or the above mentioned car) will not care if you're on a 50cc, 125cc, 150cc, 250cc or 1000cc bike. Hitting a solid object hurts. As the speed increases, so does the injury. No matter what you ride, All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT.)

If you are going to go forward with a small displacement bike, consider the CSC TT250 or the CSC San Gabriel. (https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defa...ventory&vt=motorcycle / scooter&vc=dual sport) They start at $2,195 (TT250) or $2,295 (San Gabriel) new. Since small displacement bikes don't really have a strong used market, you may want to start by shelling out 2 AMUs instead of 4 AMUs and seeing if this kind of riding is for you.

I'd be a little afraid of that bike. It's not likely to be quick enough to get out of the way of cars. Cars kill more motorcyclists than motorcycles do.

You can get a decent HD Sportster for ~$5k. That's a better entry bike.

[And no, I'm not a HD guy in general. If I were to buy a bike I'd go with a BMW or *gasp* a GoldWing]

I agree with others about getting some motorcycle training. I'd also echo the fact that your size and weight are a bit much for such a small bike. My first motorcycle was a 750 Honda many years ago. Seemed like a large bike but I quickly adapted to it. Over the years the smallest displacement I've owned was a 650 Nighthawk (when they were 4 cylinders). Nine years ago I had a driver get me from behind on the interstate. I should have seen him coming but he really came out of nowhere and slammed into the rear of the bike while I was flowing with traffic in the far right lane. I said that to point out the fact that you may not see the one that gets you.

A couple of years ago I bought another bike. I bought it used to just tool around with a bit and ride on fair weather days. It's a Suzuki C-50 Boulevard. They look large and heavy but in reality are pretty light and nimble for the perceived size. So buy something large enough to be seen, paint it bright Cub yellow, put bright lights all over it, open up the exhaust so it can be heard, and fly the flag on the back as the movement may attract the attention of those drivers that are head down and texting at 60-85 on the back roads.

I love riding a bike but the pavement won't budge at all when you hit it. I'm alive by the Grace of God and a helmet. ALWAYS use your safety gear - all of it.

Strong second on the MSF Course.....well before considering any purchase

Yes, do this before you do anything like buying a bike. Do the course and see if you’re still interested. If you are still interested, great, go get that first bike. If you don’t like it, no sweat, you spent the weekend doing something interesting, and you have no bike that you just bought to sell.

Oh, and that first bike? I recommend a used 350-450cc dual sport for the first year. Cheap, pre-deprecated, and made to be dropped, because it’s highly likely you’ll drop your first bike. And, who knows, you might ride it off-road some, which will teach you a great many valuable bike control skills. After that first year, go get that shiny apple of your eye!

Oh, and about the MSF course, it’s a great class, but passing it is just like getting your PPL. A license to learn. IMHO, the MSF teaches you just enough to keep you alive and fill that bucket of skill/experience before the bucket of luck runs out.

Reactions: Ted
Doooo iiiitttt lets go ride. 250 CC is fine for everything but highway. I just rode a ninja 250 and it would scoot up to about 95 mph and pulled hard enough to 55-60 the zuki will be a biit slower. If you like the "standard" style its back in fashion so theres some midsize bikes you might like. 4k puts you in the sweet spot for used bikes. I just bought a 2011 f800st with all the farkles for that. Stuff like a bonneville or w600 w800 or some of the retro style bikes should be depreciated enough that you could get a less than 10 yr old one for your budget.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Triumph-BONNEVILLE-SE-5012051649

Wear a helmet. I repeat - wear a helmet. Every time you ride. I rode motorcycles for a few years when I was in college. I knew 4 people who needed helmets. 3 had them and are alive today (my wife and I are two of them). 1 didn't and he died at the scene. Limited sample, 100% correlation.

The orthopedic surgeon who put us back together kept referring to them as "murder cycles". Needless to say, he wasn't a fan. And he was used to putting people back together, he was the team physician for the WSU football team back then (early 1970s).

Best of luck to you. Just ride like everyone is out to kill you. I'm a firm believer than everyone should ride for a year or so before being allowed to drive a car. They'll never have trouble seeing a motorcycle again. It's been over 46 years since we got hit and I still have no trouble spotting them.

You're certainly not too old to start riding, your maturity will be an asset. Last time I checked, the single most common accident that motorcyclists have is a single vehicle one, and that is to go off the road by yourself. These are nearly always preventable just by being aware and riding sanely. The second most common one is where a motorist turns in front of the cyclist. I had one of those about 20 years ago, and promised my wife I wouldn't get another one until our children were grown. The youngest one is 18 now, so I have about three more years to go.

Is the TU250 good for you? I don't know, it may be a little shortcoupled for someone of your stature. 250 ccs is fine around town, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little more power, you can always make a bigger engine act like a smaller one, the opposite is not true. Honda has a 500 cc parallel twin in its lineup that is also =what motorcyclists call a "standard", but is not retro styled like the TU.

Do take the MSF course, it's a great jump start into the sport. Do get a full face helmet and wear it without fail, don't ride at dawn or dusk, and assume that motorists don't see you unless they do something that indicates they do.

Really your post has two separate topics, so I'll address each one separately.

As far as riding as concerned, I do really enjoy riding. It makes you a better driver and it's a wholly unique experience. I've done hardcore riding - never done an Iron Butt ride, but have done 750+ miles in a day, ridden in rain, snow, and thunderstorms. Used my motorcycle to commute in college year round, used motorcycles to commute a good bit (three season) in my career. Although I started around age 20 I wouldn't say that you're too old to start by any means. Plenty of people start flying at your age.

The MSF course is absolutely worth taking. If you take it and pass, in most states that's all you need to get your motorcycle license added to your driver's license. They provide the bikes to use. In fact, my recollection is the bikes they had were very similar to the Suzuki you mention interest in - may have even been the same. The MSF course will give you the license and the foundation, and tell you enough about whether or not you want to go further with it.

My general rule of thumb for people looking at first bikes is to buy something used and to buy something with 600cc or less. There's an allowance for cruisers that have a lower HP per liter output and for those, a 750 or even a Harley Sportster with an 883 or 1200 is fine as a first bike. Expect to drop your first bike at least once, and don't let it bug you when it happens, learn from it and move on. It'll probably be some low speed maneuver where you misjudge and it falls over. The saying is there's three kinds of riders, those who drop their bike in the first 6 months, those who don't ride in the first 6 months, and those who lie. So for that reason something with a lot of fairings is sub-ideal (those fairings break) and something new is sub-ideal (you don't want to drop your shiny new bike). After your first season if you want something different, buy it then.

Sometimes there are exceptions. One of my friends who I taught to ride 10+ years ago is now looking for a motorcycle for his girlfriend (she's been a passenger of his since he started riding and is finally ready to start riding herself). In their case, they're looking at a new BMW G310GS. Main reason being that there's some really good incentives right now that mean they'll be able to buy one for about $4k new. She really likes the way it looks, and it'll still make a good first bike that's easy to ride, and will also match my friend's current BMW. That's unusual for me to suggest a new bike as a first bike, though. She will drop it I'm sure, but it's pretty so she'll want to ride it, and she probably won't ding it up too badly when she drops it.

250cc for your size and weight - nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I do suspect you'll find yourself wanting something larger just for comfort, and you will be really winding up that engine. You're talking about a bike that makes only 16 HP. The motorcycle itself is at 20 lbs/hp before adding a rider, adding you that'll get you more around 35 lbs/hp. My diesel 1-ton truck has a better power to weight ratio. I'm guessing speed isn't high on your priority list, but that does get to be a bit annoying after a while. There are a lot of metric bikes out there that can be had for similar to that $4k price tag used that are bigger and will be more comfortable. So I'd suggest looking at something a bit bigger. But get through the MSF course before pulling the trigger on anything.

Now, the wife question. Only you can best decide how to tackle that one. A lot of wives are strongly, strongly against their husbands riding motorcycles. Not sure where your wife stands on that, but starting off by saying that you'd like to take the MSF course and go from there might be a good way to go. Who knows, maybe she'll enjoy it. A large number of motorcycle groups are couples your age who really enjoy just going on rides together. And group rides are great fun.

And yes, buy good gear, wear it. Full face helmet, gloves, jacket at the very least. Sturdy boots and jeans minimum. But full cycle gear is better and will help protect you if you have a more significant fall.

The size and speed of the motorcycle you’re riding doesn’t matter. It’s the size and speed of the car that hits you that will kill you.

Exactly. That is the reason I am selling my bike, a sport touring machine (Kawasaki Ninja 1000 2013 ABS). I had a great time with it, Blue Ridge parkway and all, but I have had too many close calls with bad drivers doing u-turns right in front of me or cutting me off, etc. Furthermore, when it's sunny here, it's either the airplane or the motorcycle ride, and rigth now I prefer the airplane.

Ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

I honestly do not understand this whole sentiment of "...its not enough power to get you out of trouble...". After quite a few years of riding on a motorcycle, I have NEVER had to twist the throttle to "get out of trouble". As a matter of fact, twisting it too far has caused MANY more problems than it solved.

However, if we're playing the cliche game:
1. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow-bike fast, than a fast-bike slow.
-I started out on a standard 650. A few years later, when a friend of mine was interested in motorcycles, I talked him into getting a Ninja250 as his first bike. When I had the opportunity to ride it, it was a total blast. Light enough that you just think about tossing it over, and it's already there. Sure, it maxed out at around 80mph with a nice tailwind. But, if you aren't having fun on a bike when riding less than 80, perhaps riding it on the street is not the thrill you want.

2. In terms of gear: better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
3. I'd rather sweat than bleed.
4. In terms of the wife: it's a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission.
5. Wheelie for safety!

Last edited:
If you and your wife decide that a motorcycle is a bad idea, a Waverunner is the next best substitute.

6043427_20161209121914505_1_LARGE.jpg

Another vote for the MSF course!

The class I took actually had a TU250 as one of the bikes, the rest were GZ250s. So call around and ask what kinda bikes the different locations have, Harley dealers will put you on a Harley which isnt a terrible thing.

As far as the TU250/GZ250 I would say that at the price, you sort of get what you pay for - its a very basic bike without the fit and finish of something a little more expensive. Things like cheap mirrors, a neutral gear light that sort of almost works half as well as the average Cessna 150 fuel gauge, a vague transmission, and not the most comfortable seat. Having said that, 4k will get you pretty far in the used market if you have some mechanical inclination and don't mind a used bike.

I honestly do not understand this whole sentiment of "...its not enough power to get you out of trouble...". After quite a few years of riding on a motorcycle, I have NEVER had to twist the throttle to "get out of trouble". As a matter of fact, twisting it too far has caused MANY more problems than it solved.

Certainly horsepower to get out of a situation is a more advanced technique and I'll agree that with the wrong rider it causes more problems than it solves. However I have certainly used horsepower to get out of the way of a car or truck merging into me before and had that be the best way to get out of the situation.

I’d suggest taking the motorcycle safety course before you decide to buy...it’ll help you make your decision.

if you do decide to buy, take the course again...one of the realities of aging is that we learn new things more slowly. Repetition helps.

I was surprised that you could get something new so inexpensive. But at 6’2” and 275 pounds is it too small?

The answer is yes. I am 6'3" and was 225lbs at the time I took the MSF course a few years ago. The TU250X was one of the bikes they had for the students. It would be comically undersized for your frame. Luckily, the course organizer had a few slightly taller 'dirtbike light' styled models for the taller folks and that is what I rode.

And at 58 am I too old to start this kind of thing?

Well, yes and no. Take the course, the initial course is mostly about low-speed maneuvering, you'll be able to figure out in a safe environment whether you get the hang of it. I had ridden decades ago and been on bicycles throughout my life, so riding the little 250cc bikes came easy. A few other participants in the course were struggling with basic control of a two-wheeled vehicle.

As for the 'not enough power to get you out of trouble', that is just a internal justification by bikers that they need a bigger bike. Really. When we find a dead guy in the woods, the early 2000s GSX is usually just a few feet further in. It doesn't really matter how big or powerful the bike you ride is, the other car, the tree or the utility pole dont really care. A lighter bike that you can handle like its an extension of you is going to be safer than something more powerful. If you die, its usually because you hit something (turning car, tree) head on, not because you get run over from the back.

As a new rider, you would probably benefit from some safety enhancements that a basic pizza-delivery bike like the TU250X lacks: Anti-lock brakes and stability control. With a 4k budget, there are some decent used options out there.

And don't buy new. There are always 'beginner bikes' on the market from folks who either step up or realize that their wife/girlfriend was lying to them when she said that she would like to ride herself ;-)

Last edited:
I haven't ridden in years, but I have a question about why the 250cc bike is deemed under powered. Maybe things have changed.

In 1968 I was 16yrs old and my brother was 18. We both weighed around 180#s. He bought a Ducati 250. That thing was a screamer. The few times I rode behind him I had to hold tight when he hit the throttle until he eased off. I can't imagine actually NEEDING more power than that. If I had more faith in my ability as a motorcycle mechanic I might have bought one too.

Later I bought a 1977 Yamaha RD400. That thing was a rocket. At over 200#s by then I had no trouble passing my wife (145#s) or her Kawasaki KZ 650, and she was no slouch on the throttle. We eventually got rid of both of them when Atlanta traffic reached out and swallowed the suburbs where we lived and riding lost all of its enjoyment. I much prefer the safety of airplanes.

As for the 'not enough power to get you out of trouble', that is just a internal justification by bikers that they need a bigger bike. Really. When we find a dead guy in the woods, the early 2000s GSX is usually just a few feet further in.
When my room mate and I were looking for bikes (circa 1980) we were looking at Kawasaki KZ1000s. I never had much faith in motorcycle reliability, possibly because bikes didn't used to be as reliable as they are now, or because all my bikes were rather old and well used. I asked the sales guy and he told me they never break down. The only repair work they ever do on those bikes is body work because so many new riders just can't handle the power and wind up eating gravel. I don't know how many bikes he sold, but he didn't sell me one.

And don't buy new. There are always 'beginner bikes' on the market from folks who either step up or realize that their wife/girlfriend was lying to them when she said that she would like to ride herself ;-)
Again, I don't know how much things have changed in the last 30 years but I have always told myself if I ever buy another bike, it will be brand new with a factory warranty. I remember the days where if I didn't carry a tool pack and spare parts (spark plugs, fuses, fuel lines, duct tape, safety wire etc) I would not have made it home half the time.

I said that I would never ever get a motorcycle. Not another risky hobby. Not another toy to maintain. But, browsing you tube I came across a well produced video on starter bikes and it does look like a lot of fun. Not looking at big Harley things or crotch rockets. But this Suzuki TU 250X looks like just the thing to run to the airport or a fun run down a local country road to get ice cream. Sort of a convertible without having to find room in the garage for another car. $4K new is fine by me. I was surprised that you could get something new so inexpensive. But at 6’2” and 275 pounds is it too small? And at 58 am I too old to start this kind of thing?

Add me to the list of take a Course. One of the ones where they provide the bike. The times i've driven by and seen them things going on, the size of the bikes looks pretty close to what you're thinking about getting. You'll probably find out then about what you think you might want to buy if you follow through. The instructors will be able give you good input.

The wife thing reminded me of something. I was in a dealership years ago. There was a bike on the floor, brand new, almost. It was being sold used. Had less than 100 miles on it. I asked what happened. Guy buy's it, rides home, wife goes upstairs, packs her bags, comes down and say's "call me when it's gone" and drives off.

At the risk of not being PC, you're better off buying a bigger bike at your weight and height. One of my bikes is a 250 and while it is fun and flickable, it is rather underpowered when it comes to acceleration. I weigh 175# and would not reccomend a 250 for YOU. A lighter rider would be OK on a 250, especially for a first bike.
As suggested, I'd go for a used bike from Craigslist in the 400-500cc range (not a 600 supersport) for around $4000. Lots of reliable used bikes out there to be had.
If you promised your wife that you would not ride you may have a difficult time convincing her and risk putting a big dent in your relationship. Every time you go out for a ride she will worry until you get back home. Some people will never see motorcycle riding as a sane endeavor. Never. My mother was one of those till the day she died and nothing would convince her otherwise.
I believe GA flying is more dangerous than responsible motorcycling as I've known a lot a pilots that are dead (including close friends and aquaintances) but only a couple motorcyclists that died as the result of accidents. Another thing to note is that most motorcycle accidents are single-vehicle occurances that involve only the motorcycle. Motorcycling is about as safe as you make it, but in life there are no guarantees, not even inside the comfort of your 5000# SUV.

Last edited:
Guy buy's it, rides home, wife goes upstairs, packs her bags, comes down and say's "call me when it's gone" and drives off.

She'd still be waiting for me to call LOL

Take the MSF course. Buy a used metric bike in the 500-650cc range, but not a crotch rocket style. The basic cruiser style Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, etc. is a great fit for a first bike and that CC range will have enough power for excitement when you want it, but is also perfectly tame for learning ad long as you resist the urge to test the limits of your right wrist.

Reactions: imQ

I grew up in the country on a farm loved riding on the highway, once I moved into a city of 300,000 people riding wasn't much fun anymore. The first ride after moving I was stopped at a red light and the car immediately behind me was rear ended hard with a huge bang that made my hair stand up.

Try and find a used bike to start on. There are lots of inexpensive low displacement bikes, lots of them are dressed up to look like their larger brethren. You'll probably drop your bike, most noobs do. Better to scratch up a per-scratched bike. Also, if you do get your first bike used you can sell if for what you bought it for and either bail or get a bigger one. Don't cheap out on gear. Snell rated full face helmet, leather jacket with armor, good leather gloves with gauntlets, boots that cover your ankles. Dress for the crash, not the ride.

If your wife really loves you she'll support what you want to do and not pour cold water on everything. Keep in mind that you're invisible on a bike, and about one in 5 cars will actively try and murder you. Used to be one in twenty, but screens changed that. Head on a swivel, good news is even on a little bike you can get away.

Again, I don't know how much things have changed in the last 30 years but I have always told myself if I ever buy another bike, it will be brand new with a factory warranty. I remember the days where if I didn't carry a tool pack and spare parts (spark plugs, fuses, fuel lines, duct tape, safety wire etc) I would not have made it home half the time.

For some reason, factory warranties on bikes are pretty short and really pay for very little. When I looked at Suzuki, its 12 months, Harley 2 years.

There may be more benefit from a warranty on a $25,000 Harley, but on a 300cc beginner bike, I dont see how the warranty is a big draw. They are pretty simple machines, if you can find a trustworthy motorcycle mechanic to look it over for you, the savings from buying used are going to be substantial. You can find those 'beginner bikes' with sub 1000 miles quite often.

Well, you could try my technique. My wife was a bit negative about a bike until I increased my life insurance coverage substantially. Then she began encouraging me to get the bike. "Don't you need at least 1000cc in a sport bike, dear? Why waste money on a helmet?" I always know exactly where I rate with her.....

As has been suggested, take the MSF class. It's required in some states in order to get the motorcycle endorsement on your license. Even if not required, it's essential.

All the gear, all the time. Full face helmet, jacket, gloves, leg protection, boots. Always.

A 250cc bike will be a bit underpowered at your size. I started on a 500cc Ninja (around 50hp) and it was just about perfect. Rather than cc's, pay attention to HP and weight. In a standard style bike, get something in the 50 to 75 hp range. Something like a Suzuki SV650 ( https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/05/2020-suzuki-sv650-abs-buyers-guide-specs-prices/ ) could be a good choice for you to start with. New ones are about 73hp, and the older bikes are about 64hp. Comfortable riding position, enough performance to merge onto a highway without getting squished, no body work to damage when (not if) you drop it.

Let your budget dictate new vs used and how old, but if you buy used be sure you know how the bike was treated. Take an experienced rider with you to look the bike over.

Don't worry about your age. The older I get, the faster my bikes. I figure every passing year I'm putting less and less of my life at risk.

And concerning the wife, remember - there are lots more women in the world than there are motorcycles.

....and as much as we all endorse the MSF Beginner’s course, be aware there are many other courses out there once you’re more advanced in your ridership. Recommend “Stayin’ Safe” in the SouthEast.

As if it hasn't been said enough, I'll throw one more onto the pile of "that bike is likely too small".

But it's not just about the cc's. I've never sat on one of those models, but many bikes in that cc range are also quite a bit physically smaller as well. Shorter seat-to-bar distance, shorter seat-to-peg distance, lower seat, etc. You might be very cramped on that bike.

And also, like others have said, buy used. Unless you are unusual (like all of us!), that bike is going to end up on its side. It may just be in the driveway the first time you push it around to wash it (happened to a friend of mine), but it's going to happen. Much better for that to happen on a used bike than your nice shiny new one. And you'll get a better deal too.

I am going to go against the grain and suggest that like aviation, motorcycling isn't inherently more dangerous than driving an automobile, it's just less forgiving. 90% of the motorcycle accidents I've seen are the riders fault - as they could have at least have been avoided. Motorcycles do have some offsetting advantages in that their compact size allows for more maneuvering options. I've been riding for, I don't know, 30 years, and the one accident I had was caused by stupidity and going too fast, and it didn't involve any other vehicles.

I don't ride a motorcycle much these days, for no other reason that I'm spending a lot of time doing other things. I'm kind of spoiled on AC, heat, rain protection and radio so the car is generally the more practical go from A to B choice for me for that reason. But I also spend a lot of time riding bicycles, and ride about 3,500 miles a year on average. I feel a lot more exposed on a bicycle than I do on a motorcycle, where I can keep up with traffic. But what am I going to do, not ride out of fear? That would be limiting.

Guy buy's it, rides home, wife goes upstairs, packs her bags, comes down and say's "call me when it's gone" and drives off.

Calls to mind a tee shirt that we had designed and sold some years ago at our fly-ins. The front read, "She said it was me or the airplane ... " On the back was, "Clear the prop!"

William Wynne had some shirts made that had written on the back, "my ex wanted me to quit flying."

I got a great deal on my slightly used Boulevard. I was asking why he would sell it at such a price with very low mileage and that he had not owned it very long. His wife walked out with the new baby as he remarked, "she said I couldn't."

As others have noted ... motorcycles and airplanes do come with risks. These can be mitigated but not eliminated. Take the course, practice a lot (I like to use a large empty parking lot close by to practice turns, stops, starts, etc.) and use good gear when you ride. As I've gotten older I don't care much for riding at night, in the rain, or on the interstate. A good old back country road is a great way to go if the weather is nice. I'll also reiterate the wisdom of a previous poster ... "assume every car you see (and even the ones you don't) are out to kill you."

Enjoy the ride!

Great responses. So take a safety course before buying. Makes sense. 250cc probably too small. Buy used.

Thanks everyone

Back