DUI and aviation insurance

D

Drinkingnomore

I had a DUI 2 years ago. I reported it to the FAA and went through their process and have my medical intact. I am looking at purchasing a new airplane (Bonanza most likely) and was curious if anyone knows if the DUI will make it difficult to get insurance for the plane. I have never had an accident in an airplane or any claims, and have over 700 hours PIC and an instrument rating. Thanks for any and all responses.

Am doing my insurance renewal now. They ask this:

"Have you ever been convicted of driving a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or narcotics, or of reckless driving? Explain"

So I assume it will affect your rates. No idea how much.

It will most likely adversely affect your rates as you are now in a higher risk group. How much, who knows. I'd be more than happy to help you find out. Just shoot me a PM and we can talk about it and see what can be done.

It will most likely adversely affect your rates as you are now in a higher risk group. How much, who knows. I'd be more than happy to help you find out. Just shoot me a PM and we can talk about it and see what can be done.

thanks for the offer to help with this Paul. Let me know if you get this response as I am not exactly sure how to respond to somebody directly on this site.

I've seen insurance applications asking about DUI in two different ways. "Have you ever" and "In the past 5 years have you"

I know of a broker who will answer questions like this in confidence.

I am told the rates are higher for five years. But the "upcharge" varies among the (5) five insurance entities that underly the policies.

Can you please help me figure out aviation insurance with this same issue?

Back