Drone problems

Validated what most of us have known. Now what is the solution? Most drones are within financial reach of the lowest common denominators combined with the current societal attitude of "Me First" is a perfect storm.

Obvious software limits aren't working. A quick Google search shows how to get past those. Registration doesn't do much good, as the non-compliers will continue to not comply. The problem is so wide spread that prosecution is difficult without a massive bureaucratic effort. Instead of the war on drugs, it will be the war on drones.

The only good is the sky hasn't necessarily fallen yet. There hasn't been much in the way of bloodshed from drone activity, and only some minor metal bending at worse. That will probably change at some point, as the saying goes, regulations are written in blood.

Another reason to live where it’s windy... lol...

“(Hurricane Dorian required two different sampling timeframes, Aug. 14-30, and Sept. 8-22.)”

I bought a DJI Mavic about two years ago. Played around with it for maybe 5 or six months and it's been sitting on the shelf now for probably close to a year. They're a thrill at first but then kind of meh... They aren't like RC planes, no real skill needed or challenges, basically just a hovering 4k camera.
Anyway my point is that, while there certainly are a number of idiot yahoos out there with these things I wouldn't consider it a huge problem if you base your concern on the enormous number of them sold over the past few years. I suspect that a large percentage of them, like mine, spend most of there time on a shelf in the closet of the spare bedroom.

I have a couple of Phantom drones as well as as a newer Mavic 2 Pro. I do a fair amount of photography and some videography and over the years have sold some of it or otherwise used it commercially. As a challenging flying hobby, these stabilized GPS drones aren’t...they’re a yawner to fly (unlike FPV race drones or cine drones, which I also fly) so I just don’t get flying GPS stabilized drones as a hobby by itself. They are really excellent as a photographic tool however. You can get shots with a perspective you just can’t get any other way. FPV race drones OTOH are a blast. Pretty hard to get those 250-or-so gram drones up to 400 feet though, I would thing.

I did get an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate (through IACRA). That’s a pretty simple (and free) process if you’re already certified under Part 61 and have a current flight review...unlike the Part 107 exam which is generally a source of frustration and terror for non-pilots. The FAA, someday, will be instituting an exam of some kind for all drone flyers...might weed out some of the idiots.

Last edited:
Here's the other deal. The best photos from a drone are often 8-100 feet high - not the offending guys. You aren't shooting a Phantom down at 1000' AGL with your shotgun, so more than likely anything you can hit is not a threat, at least from an aviation perspective. I hate the guys over 400' as much as anyone, but down low, it's a cheaper, safer platform to use than renting a helicopter for most of the jobs I use it for.

I bought a DJI Mavic about two years ago. Played around with it for maybe 5 or six months and it's been sitting on the shelf now for probably close to a year. They're a thrill at first but then kind of meh... They aren't like RC planes, no real skill needed or challenges, basically just a hovering 4k camera.
Anyway my point is that, while there certainly are a number of idiot yahoos out there with these things I wouldn't consider it a huge problem if you base your concern on the enormous number of them sold over the past few years. I suspect that a large percentage of them, like mine, spend most of there time on a shelf in the closet of the spare bedroom.

Two guys I work with did the same with their DJIs. They used them a bunch the first couple of months and that was it. Don’t think they’ve touched them in a couple of years. I think a large percentage of the drone buyers have done the same. Outside of commercial ops, they quickly lose their usefulness. I had mine for all of a week before I got bored, yet I still fly RC planes.

Here's the other deal. The best photos from a drone are often 8-100 feet high - not the offending guys. You aren't shooting a Phantom down at 1000' AGL with your shotgun, so more than likely anything you can hit is not a threat, at least from an aviation perspective. I hate the guys over 400' as much as anyone, but down low, it's a cheaper, safer platform to use than renting a helicopter for most of the jobs I use it for.

I agree completely, the drones below 400', as long as they aren't near the ends of the runways, aren't really a threat. The drones that are higher than that really don't have a reason to be there, as most the of the technology they are using isn't as effective up high. I operate our FD drone, and rarely get above 100-150 feet for optimum visibility.

Ha. I could have typed exactly the same thing - right down to the closet of the spare bedroom!

Back