Resigning from the HIMS Program

Not quite sure why people think they need an AME to tell them something that has already been long established. Yes, you are eligible for basicmed after getting a special issuance. It says it on the faa’s website.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

When can I fly under BasicMed?
If you meet the BasicMed requirements, you can operate under BasicMed (without an FAA medical certificate) right now!

What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?

1. Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
  2. Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
  3. Complete a BasicMed medical education course;
  4. Go fly!
Aircraft Requirements:

• Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements:

• Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire
Medical Conditions Requiring One Special Issuance Before Operating under BasicMed:

(1) A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—

1. A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
  2. A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual—
    1. Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
    2. May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis;
  3. A bipolar disorder; or
  4. A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations
(2) A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

1. Epilepsy;
  2. Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
  3. A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
(3) A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:

1. Myocardial infarction;
  2. Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
  3. Cardiac valve replacement; or
  4. Heart replacement.

Hopefully one of our resident AME's can give us a factual answer.

I would guess that anyone who needs a SODA or SI would not be eligible for Basic Med.
FWIW, AMEs do not receive any special training on BasicMed. Conducting BasicMed comprehensive medical examinations is outside the scope of an Aviation Medical Examiner; an AME conducting a BasicMed exam is doing so as a state-licenses physician.

That said, and as discussed previously in this thread, neither a SODA nor a Special Issuance disqualifies you for operating under BasicMed.

Also, A SODA is a form of special issuance for a static condition that doesn't prevent a person from safely operating an aircraft. Unlike an authorization, it doesn't expire.

Last edited:
In using the description AME I was referring to Dr. Chein (SP?) or other higher qualified doctors who are members. Dr. C has been very helpful to several friends and me by explaining how to avoid problems with OK City.

In using the description AME I was referring to Dr. Chein (SP?) or other higher qualified doctors who are members. Dr. C has been very helpful to several friends and me by explaining how to avoid problems with OK City.
How was my answer not factual to the question asked?

Brad Z-you are probably correct, but I'd like to hear Bruce's answer. He has more experience and knowledge in this area than do you or I.

Hope you and yours are still smiling! Is your backseater your son?

Jon, you do know that Brad is an Aviation Safety Analyst for the FAA and one of the main official sources of BasicMed. I dare say he's a more reliable source than Dr. B or any AME on the subject.

Hopefully one of our resident AME's can give us a factual answer.

I would guess that anyone who needs a SODA or SI would not be eligible for Basic Med.

You would be incorrect. As long as you had a medical valid on or after June 15, 2006 and nothing was withdrawn, cancelled or revoked, then you qualify at the base level.

There are specific conditions in three categories which would cause you to go back to a FAA SI - cardiac, neurological or pyschological. These are the only SI conditions which take Basicmed off the table.

But that's it.

Brad Z-you are probably correct, but I'd like to hear Bruce's answer. He has more experience and knowledge in this area than do you or I.

With great respect to Dr Bruce...he helped me and IMO, is THE top AME in the country...this is not his wheelhouse. Basicmed does touch on things medical and for that reason we should all listen to what he has to say about our health and flying. But basicmed is not a FAA medical.

Basicmed does not use FAA medical standards. Bradz actually has a lot more experience with the legal process of Basicmed.

Last edited:
If he was denied, however and formally entered into the HIMS program that way, that blocks basic. HIMS is drugs, alcohol, and you will get the “notice letter” that I have posted elsewhere.

Medical branch interprets the psychiatry basic exclusion in that manner. It’s all in the particulars. Medical branch tried very hard to not have custody of this but Airman Branch won out, so it’s stuck in medical branch.

sign me, “original petitioner for the SSRI protocol”.....

Hey guys. Just heard today the faa may be trying to instate a new lifetime “grandfather” HIMs program for people with substance abuse. Anyone that’s been in the HIMs program may only be issued a medical by a HIMs AME for the duration of their career even after successful monitoring of the 3-5 year program. After you’ve been released from monitoring, you will be subject to random testing by your HIMs AME for the duration of holding a medical certificate. Apparently the NTSB has been pushing this for quite sometime and the FAA is starting to acknowledge. Just passing along info from my HIMs Psych.

Hey guys. Just heard today the faa may be trying to instate a new lifetime “grandfather” HIMs program for people with substance abuse. Anyone that’s been in the HIMs program may only be issued a medical by a HIMs AME for the duration of their career even after successful monitoring of the 3-5 year program. After you’ve been released from monitoring, you will be subject to random testing by your HIMs AME for the duration of holding a medical certificate. Apparently the NTSB has been pushing this for quite sometime and the FAA is starting to acknowledge. Just passing along info from my HIMs Psych.

That seems ridiculous especially if the person completed the program and remains clean. Can you post a reference for this? Has anyone heard of this?

NEGATIVE, GHOSTRIDER. Particulars, are important!

That is only for Substance Dependence. If you SI says "abuse" the release after specified period of monitoring is UNCHANGED.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back