• Other ________ (slogan not listed)

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
Everyone has heard at least one slogan during the last several months to rally people to the cause of stopping COVID (I guess?). Which one drives you up the wall the most? Since we can't seem to get rid of them, might as well have some fun with them.

Disclaimer: I am not fond of any slogans or buzzwords at any time.

Also, this would qualify as something I would post online but never actually ask about in face to face conversation. ;)

I always laugh when I see articles with headlines like

“what restaurants could look like in the post pandemic world”

“what schools could look like in the post pandemic world”

“What subways could look like in the post pandemic world”

This isn’t the first pandemic and it certainly won’t be the last. It’s going to suck for a little but life will go on. Stop scaring people into thinking this is the end of the world.

"New Normal" that's how we got TSA

That one irritates me too. I’m not even sure what they expect to change. Maybe it’s different in the cities but around here I think people are going to go back to how things were the minute the governor allows. Possibly sooner than that the way some things are going....

To piggyback on "in these uncertain times," (every time I hear that, I'm certain I need a other beer), which is my number one trigger phrase these days, the constant use of "unprecedented" also drives me nuts.

The slogans themselves don't bother me. But I find it funny that because I bought a sub from Jersey Mike's back in '05 and was dumb enough to give them my info to save a buck on the order, I'm now getting an e-mail over a decade later saying "We're here for you in these troubled times of COVID-19".

If you're really here for me, STFU and send me another sandwich!

< rant >
"We're all in this together." It's obviously a lie.

Have you seen a politician, with a shaggy hair-do?
Any of them on unemployment?
Any of them with travel restrictions?
Any of them look like they missed a dental cleaning?
Any of them not going to the gym? (Cuomo and de Blasio go every day.)
Any of them "social distancing"? (One of our beloved senators had a party a couple of weeks ago, there were over 100 people at her place, according to the caterer.)
Any of their "rent-a-planes" locked in a hanger.
Any of them complaining they can't get fresh food, or paper products, flour, yeast, etc, etc?

No,we are NOT in this together.
</rant>

Not exactly a slogan, but I'm getting kind of sick of people writing uplifting songs. Having said that, this one is pretty touching...everyone should watch it. Really. Everyone. Now.

The most cringworthy catch phrase is "Abundance of caution". That one drives me nuts, although I haven't heard it used much in this situation oddly.

#covidstrong
Is on all my emails from work. Drives me insane.

Not a slogan, but oh my God, if I hear "In these uncertain times" one more time... I'm gonna sneeze on someone.
That’s harsh. One of the hardest things about COVID is that it is uncertain when or how we’ll get past it. This response is not a criticism of you. Your airplane looks terrific. Signed, a fellow RV-12 owner.

I don't really have a least favorite slogan, but I have a favorite, and it's mine!

when someone gets right up in my face in public, my statement to them is:

If it's a male: you must have a really short dick if you think that's 6 feet.

If it's a female: Your boyfriend and husband BOTH must have really short dicks if you think that is 6 feet.

yes...I really do....

i'm in full agreement with the Internet meme that states:

The spread of the coronavirus is a direct result of the density of our population. And how dense the population is!

< rant >
"Have you seen a politician, with a shaggy hair-do?</rant>

No, I have not. The explanation is a mystery for the ages. Even Stephen Colbert ("The Late Show") needs a haircut.

My hair? I bought a $100 hair clipper. (Had trouble finding one for sale, by the way.) My wife cut my hair. It looks just as good as it did when I was in Army Basic Training, recently about 50 years ago. But back then my hair was brown; now it's grey.

The spread of the coronavirus is a direct result of the density of our population. And how dense the population is!

I hadn't heard this one before, but I too like it, a lot. And Tim, how do I join your National Sarcasm Society? It sounds like an organization I'd like to be a member of.

I hadn't heard this one before, but I too like it, a lot. And Tim, how do I join your National Sarcasm Society? It sounds like an organization I'd like to be a member of.

In Brooklyn, we considered sarcasm a religion. In many other places I've been... not so much.

Rich

In honor of the current state of the country, Initiation fee is $1,200.

< rant >
"We're all in this together." It's obviously a lie.

Have you seen a politician, with a shaggy hair-do?
Any of them on unemployment?
Any of them with travel restrictions?
Any of them look like they missed a dental cleaning?
Any of them not going to the gym? (Cuomo and de Blasio go every day.)
Any of them "social distancing"? (One of our beloved senators had a party a couple of weeks ago, there were over 100 people at her place, according to the caterer.)
Any of their "rent-a-planes" locked in a hanger.
Any of them complaining they can't get fresh food, or paper products, flour, yeast, etc, etc?

No,we are NOT in this together.
</rant>
Preach it pastor!

What they mean to say is - all of us (average, everyday citizens) are in this together! :)

Here's another one that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet...

"The deadly coronavirus..."

Yes, it's true, that in a very small percent of cases, it can kill a person who is extremely susceptible to the virus' physical challenges. How come we never say "The deadly honeybee..." .... "The deadly wading pool..." "The deadly bedsheet.." "The deadly bicycle..." ?

People encounter those things and die every year, too. Most of the time, people escape those deadly entities unscathed... just as almost everyone escapes dying from the virus.

The one thing I can't stand and it has caused me to stop watching the news is what I call "If True....News."

The reader will make an unsubstantiated statement then say, "If true" and go off on a wild description of the future filled with opinion.

"The deadly coronavirus..."

Yes, it's true, that in a very small percent of cases....

I don't think 5% constitutes a "very small percentage."

and that's giving a percent or so for those who had it and were never tested.

96k / 1.6m = 6%

"The deadly honeybee..."
really? You're going to make that comparison? The average annual deaths from bee stings is something like 60. (I'm an unfortunate allergic one and have to carry an eppi-pen)

still, that's an idiotic comparison.

Last edited:

and that's giving a percent or so for those who had it and were never tested.

96k / 1.6m = 6%

really? You're going to make that comparison? The average annual deaths from bee stings is something like 60. (I'm an unfortunate allergic one and have to carry an eppi-pen)

still, that's an idiotic comparison.
And I don't think your figures are even close to accurate. NY state's population is 19,440,000 give or take. Best estimates based upon random testing extrapolate that about 15% of our population has or has had the virus. That's 2,916,000 people. We've had 23,195 deaths attributed to the virus by the most recent figure I could find. Whether or not all of those WERE due to the virus is at least somewhat debateable, but let's stipulate that they all were. That computes to a 0.8% fatality rate..a very far cry from your 5% assertion. Small is in the mind of the beholder, I guess, but even 5 out of 100 would be considered a "small" chance of just about anything.Death is, of course, a very high "stake," so 5% is not a desirable percentage, but it is still a small percentage. Fortunately, it's also wrong... You're using the percentage of diagnosed cases.

My point is that many things can result in death but usually don't, yet we don't constantly refer to them as deadly. Coronavirus can result in death but usually doesn't.

Perhaps the idiocy lies elsewhere....

Given that out of the total US population (~330,000,000 people) the virus has caused a reported 96k deaths. That’s a “very small percentage.”

Looking at total deaths by number infected, boils down to around 30k more flu deaths than the average annual number, but as I mentioned before, I’m quite certain the numbers are inflated. Some states even rolling back some of their prior numbers. My mother’s aunt passed away a few weeks ago. She developed a blood clot in her leg and passed away just a couple days after being admitted to a nursing home but her death was marked as being contributed to COVID-19 (she did NOT have the virus). Did I hear someone say ‘scam’ ??

Best estimates based upon random testing extrapolate that about 15% of our population has or has had the virus.

I tried Googling that every way I could think of and couldn't find confirmation of that assertion. But, regardless, the virus has killed over 100k people in this country and that was after a pretty comprehensive shut down. I'm sorry, but that's deadly. How many hundreds of thousands do you think it would have killed if we had just went about our business?

And it's widely assumed (by the experts...not the SGOTIs) that there will be a resurgence because of reopening too quickly. We're far removed from 1918 but The economies in the areas that shut down quickest and stayed shut down also recovered the quickest.

my least favorite slogan:
Thanks for the taste of communism, but end the lockdown now!

Last edited:
.007% of NC population has been kill't by covid. that's yuuuuuuge.

the virus has killed over 100k people in this country and that was after a pretty comprehensive shut down. I'm sorry, but that's deadly. How many hundreds of thousands do you think it would have killed if we had just went about our business?
Lots of doctors have agreed that those who isolated for an extended period of time were more susceptible to contracting the virus than those remaining out in public, so ya, likely less...

I tried Googling that every way I could think of and couldn't find confirmation of that assertion. But, regardless, the virus has killed over 100k people in this country and that was after a pretty comprehensive shut down. I'm sorry, but that's deadly. How many hundreds of thousands do you think it would have killed if we had just went about our business?

And it's widely assumed (by the experts...not the SGOTIs) that there will be a resurgence because of reopening too quickly. We're far removed from 1918 but The economies in the areas that shut down quickest and stayed shut down also recovered the quickest.

my least favorite slogan:
Thanks for the taste of communism, but end the lockdown now!

Try this as a search criteria... "NYS results random covid testing" - not sure how I came up with that search term when looking for data about the results of random covid testing in New York State, but it seemed to work. (See, I can do nasty sarcasm too. Isn't it fun?).

Here's one of many returns...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/new...ents-have-had-the-coronavirus-cuomo-says.html

You'll see returns from the Governor's official website, CNBC, NY Times, etc.. the figure they're currently using is 12.3% to 13.9%. dependent upon source. Our local news website reported 15%, but I too can't find that link right now. Perhaps they just used "journalistic license" and rounded... they're not exactly known for fastidious accurate unbiased reporting.

Edit: Here's one with the 15% figure..

https://auburnpub.com/news/local/go...cle_dfd350ed-74d2-5e2b-88e2-a3fa2bb1bcc1.html

And... a screen capture of some easily found search results...StatsCap.PNG StatsCap.PNG

Last edited:
Back