N-Numbers. Superstitious? Respectful?

The only consideration for me would be whether or not its a number that'll be a tongue twister to say on the radio. Previous history or respect for the dead would not enter into the decision for me.

LOL, I actually look at airplane ads and try to say the N# as part of determining if I should consider buying the plane. Not sure why I would since it could be changed.

Later, for unknown some reason I decided to Google the number and found out the likely reason it was available is because it used to be assigned to an experimental plane that was involved in a fatal accident about 10 years ago.

I’m not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I don’t think of myself as superstitious and a number is simply a number. It’s not imbued with bad luck. (Or is it...?).

No opinion either way, BUT ... this would be a GREAT start for a Night Gallery or Twilight Zone episode;):)

what about high profile accident n numbers...do those get retired?

I don't think the FAA has ever retired an N-Number, although I know airlines have. Even if the airplane gets repaired and returned to service, they will change the tail number to hide the identity of the accident plane from the general public.

I wouldn't be superstitious or afraid to fly that registration, but I think I'd leave the number retired out of respect to the pilot we lost. Just a personal opinion though.

Personally, I'm going to want one ending in Foxtrot Uniform. :D
Currently 764 numbers avail ending in FU

I don't know about superstitions, but I've now owned two planes with 9s and 5s in the call sign, and ATC can hardly ever get them right. Hope you didn't pick N59595!

9999J is available.
Sadly, N9999E is in use.

So is N3794N. As a guitarist, it would be a little odd but still an honor to fly with that tail number. I doubt the owner would let it go, though. I know that, if I had that number and someone asked me for it, I’d reply “that’ll be the day ...”

I fly 64299 and 1859V and i just love how they roll off the tongue i wont lie..

i dont totally accept its like a license plate number, it and planes has more personality than that, i have no clue what license plate number Iv ever had, N numbers are more akin to a name than a license plate number is.

i wouldn't be afraid to fly a N number that had been in a fatal, I'm not superstitious, but i doubt i would choose it out of respect...

Back