N-Numbers. Superstitious? Respectful?

Kynadog

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kynadog
I have a question about superstition in GA. I am taking delivery of a plane later this year and will have the opportunity to designate the N-number. In searching the FAA database, I found an N-number that I liked and reserved it for $10 on the FAA’s website. All good.

Later, for unknown some reason I decided to Google the number and found out the likely reason it was available is because it used to be assigned to an experimental plane that was involved in a fatal accident about 10 years ago.

I’m not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I don’t think of myself as superstitious and a number is simply a number. It’s not imbued with bad luck. (Or is it...?)

On the other, it seems like a the number of a plane that has been involved in a fatal accident might should be “retired” out of respect.

Like I said, I don’t know how I feel about. It’s not a big deal. There are thousands of other numbers out there. Just curious to hear y’all’s thoughts.

If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move this.

Thanks.

Should be irrelevant. But then again if you are having a crappy flight and are getting worried this won't enter your mind (distract) if you pick another N number.

Agreed - it should be irrelevant. But then again, like license plates, sometimes picking a number that makes you happier may be worthwhile just to alleviate any angst you may have with the history of the number. After all, it's just a number. If it were the plane itself that was rebuilt, I would have some misgivings.

FWIW, my tail number has the number 4 in it. In Chinese culture, that's a bad number as the number 4 has the same sound as the word "death." Some Chinese folks avoid anything with 4, and go for 8 (for longevity.) I kept my tail number and don't give it a second thought.

I don’t think of myself as superstitious and a number is simply a number. It’s not imbued with bad luck.
Only you can answer that. I once knew a person who purposely used N numbers that only had the 3 numbers of 666. As they say, the devil is in the details...:eek:

N numbers get recycled all the time. Those saying it ‘should’ be irrelevant, should really be saying it ‘IS’ irrelevant. If it bothers you though, change it.

Same story here - In 2017 got myself a personalized number and then it turned out that 40+ years ago it used belong to Aeronca that ended up crashing with a fatality.
Well, does not bother me really, it is a semi-random number after all ..and I am still around ... :)

Superstitions are inconsequential...for example I have walked under dozens of ladders in my days and I have only wound up in the Hospital three times so far in my life...wait...nevermind.

FWIW, my tail number has the number 4 in it. In Chinese culture, that's a bad number as the number 4 has the same sound as the word "death." Some Chinese folks avoid anything with 4, and go for 8 (for longevity.) I kept my tail number and don't give it a second thought.
Ha! This confirms what my roommate in college had said to me on the very first day, when we were standing by the door. Our dorm room number was 4404. He didn’t like it at all (he was from traditional Hong Kong family)

Back about 55 years ago I was reading a Tarzan comic book. Tarzan, the hero for those of you too young to be familiar, had just survived, adapted and overcome a particularly hairy predicament. The nature of the predicament is not relative or germane. Well, some “natives” who were standing by admiringly commented to Tarzan “how lucky’ he was. Whereby Tarzan sternly replied.......”Tarzan make his own luck”.......

I had a polished aluminum airplane and one day several years after buying it, while polishing the rudder I noticed the faint outline of a N-number that didn’t belong to the plane. Checking that N-number I found, you guessed it, that the other plane spun in at night with two on board while being piloted by a student pilot. I’m guessing that the rudder was one of few parts that flew again - the occupants did not. I looked at that as an interesting part of the plane’s history, it was just a rudder and it found a good home.

My current plane retains the personalized N-number of a previous 30-year owner, with whom I feel a connection both inside and outside of aviation. So I’m happy to leave it as is. In this case I see it as an important part of the plane’s history, to be passed on along with all his voluminous records to yet another owner some day.

If you choose an N-number with a ‘history’ perhaps there is a philosophical way to look at it that makes you comfortable.

Last edited:
I would like to re-use the N-number of the airplane I lost in a huge storm that destroyed many other aircraft. I'm pretty sure it is available...

:D
Agreed - it should be irrelevant. But then again, like license plates, sometimes picking a number that makes you happier may be worthwhile just to alleviate any angst you may have with the history of the number. After all, it's just a number. If it were the plane itself that was rebuilt, I would have some misgivings.

My wife is chinese. I can definitely say she would engage in some serious mystical stuff to the point of probably destroying the airframe.

*kind of joking. But the plane I prefer fly in has an 8 and none of the planes I fly have a 4 in the number. So no promises. There may be a bonfire. :D

My Starduster had an N-number formerly worn by a Mooney that was destroyed in a fatal crash. Didn't bother me... of course that airplane wasn't so lucky for me either...

My current plane's number is the serial number on the plans plus the builder's initials. No prior assignment AFAIK.

The only consideration for me would be whether or not its a number that'll be a tongue twister to say on the radio. Previous history or respect for the dead would not enter into the decision for me.

I guess i'm screwed I have both 666 and a 4. LOL

Superstitions are simply..... (about to type something that'll make me go on forum vacation.)

Either do or don't. If you really think there's some superpower/god-like entity, (perhaps Loki?) out there watching over your choices, saying under it's breath, "You'd better not....", then maybe you shouldn't.

I'd consider that N number "experienced" and would do anything in it's power NOT to crash again. But if it bothers you, choose another one. Life's short, lot of numbers available.

It might be a good research project for someone with too much time on their hands. Obtain a list of all planes that have been involved in fatal accidents, then see if any of those tail numbers have been reissued and involved in any more fatal accidents. I suspect the results will show subsequent fatal accident statistics will be identical to the fleet in general.

The only consideration for me would be whether or not its a number that'll be a tongue twister to say on the radio. Previous history or respect for the dead would not enter into the decision for me.

My airplane's N number is such a tongue twister and palindrome that not once has ATC ever gotten it correct on the first try.

My first priority for choosing a number would be one that is super easy to hear and repeat...

My airplane's N number is such a tongue twister and palindrome that not once has ATC ever gotten it correct on the first try.

My first priority for choosing a number would be one that is super easy to hear and repeat...

There is a certain level of anonymity in difficulty.

"Are you certain the airplane you saw buzzing the campground was N99999 and not N9999?"

:eek::D

I used to own N59LS... "experimental five niner lima sierra" just doesn't roll nicely of the tongue. Fortunately I almost never went into towered fields, so "podunk traffic, biplane turning base 35" was sufficient.

You talk about not being superstitious, then ...
Someone was murdered in my house, 20 years ago. Still unsolved. And it doesn't bother me in the least. Using an N-number that has a 'history' wouldn't bother me. Heck, I'd name my next boat Titanic.

A friends Lancair number ends in CF.

When we (re)imported a Stinson to the US last year the original N number was available, after being used on an experimental for a while. The experimental had crashed, fatally injuring the builder. On the first flight after being imported the engine on the Stinson quit, causing an off airport landing that destroyed the airplane. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

In no way am I superstitious, but this does make a person wonder if there is something to a cursed tail number...

I wouldn't be superstitious or afraid to fly that registration, but I think I'd leave the number retired out of respect to the pilot we lost. Just a personal opinion though.

Personally, I'm going to want one ending in Foxtrot Uniform. :D

what about high profile accident n numbers...do those get retired?

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the feedback and perspectives. It has been very helpful. I decided the keep the number I reserved. Thanks again!

Back