iFly 720?

TerryD1023

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TerryD
I'm a VFR pilot in the process of buying a 172D. The panel has an Air Gizmo with an iFly 720. I've always used and am comfortable with Garmin Pilot (with ADSB in / will remain on the yoke).

But I'm curious, how is the iFly? Anyone use it as a primary planning tool?

Thx for any input.

I liked it, unfortunately it didn't work with my GTX345 so I stopped. Changed to Garmin.
I like the one I have. Had it 4 years, first in a Tiger, now an RV. Annual data subscriptions are inexpensive, $80 VFR/ $130 VFR+IFR. If the subscription expires, it keeps working (but warns you on every flight). Screen is bright, unit is easy to use. Works well.

I'm a VFR pilot in the process of buying a 172D. The panel has an Air Gizmo with an iFly 720. I've always used and am comfortable with Garmin Pilot (with ADSB in / will remain on the yoke).

But I'm curious, how is the iFly? Anyone use it as a primary planning tool?

Thx for any input.

I had the iFly 720 and flew with it for a number of years. I recently upgraded to the iFly 740b unit. I'm a lowly VFR Sport Pilot but I find the iFly unit to be very intuitive, well thought out and easy to navigate without the functions getting buried too deep in menus. Be sure you have the latest software update as many new features have been recently added. If you haven't seen the manual that would be a great place to start:

https://www.iflygps.com/portals/0/documentation/iFlyGPS Pilots Guide 10.3.pdf

There's also a number of instructional videos that will help you get acquainted with the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/iFlyAdventurePilot/videos

Hope this helps ...

I use the android version and really like it. I tried avare, foreflight, and fltpln go, and settled with ifly. Very easy to use.

Is there an advantage to an iFly device compared to an iPad?

An iFly can drive an autopilot in an experimental. An iPad can't.

I had a iFly 720 and it was the buggiest device I've ever seen. Other users didn't seem to have the same problems, so there must have been something unique about my installation (I had it panel mounted and hardwired. It was supposed to run the autopilot. Sometimes it did.)

I used iFly on Android for two years before being assimilated into the Garmin Borg due to a panel upgrade. I've gotten used to Garmin Pilot now, but still miss iFly on the Android. The interface looked clunky, with big buttons that reminded you of a 1990's web site. But in turbulence you really appreciate big buttons!

Back