National/International Companies Named After Towns

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
The Pella tulip thread got me to thinking about well known companies that are named after the towns they originated in or have/had operations in.

Off he top of my head:

Pella
Neenah
Kimberly-Clark
Hershey
Oneida
OshKosh

I'm confident that know of more but I'm still on today's first cup of coffee.

what you got?

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, now 3M. Sort of in the same category

Cheers

Land O' Lakes

How about Vidalia - not really a brand name, but a trade name at least.

Mutual of Omaha
Omaha Steaks
Valmont Industries (located between Valley & Fremont, NE)

Amana was named for Middle Amana, Iowa.
The "Freeport" part of mining giant Freeport-McMoRan was named after Freeport, TX.

While it's not the name of the company Winston and Salem are named after merged city of Winston-Salem where the RJReynolds company is based.
Similarly, while a mark of GM, Pontiac shared the namesake of the city where it was initially manufactured.

Kimberly-Clark
Actually, you got that backwards. They named the town after John Kimberly after he built the mill there for his paper company. Clark was Charles Clark, another principal in the company.

Last edited:
84 Lumber. Yes, there's a town in PA called 84.

Lufkin Industries.

Lufkin, TX.... where I used to fix big truck flat tires for 5 bucks an hour in the hot sun or muddy dirt parking lot, and thought I was making big money...

Aren't there a bunch of mining towns (West Virginia comes to mind) that were truly "company towns"?

OK, not named after a town, but BMW (Bayerische Moteren Werke) is named for the German state of Bavaria.

Kohler, WI was named after the company. It was designed as a model company town for the Kohler company.
Hershey, PA is not really a town, but a part of Derry Township.
Winnebago Industries (the RV folk) is named after Winnebago County, Iowa. The city was Forest City.
Tonka isn't named after Lake Minnetonka but both names are derived from the Sioux word Tanka meaning big. Lake Minnetonka is, in fact, a lake, not a city.

Alcoa TN, the "aluminum company of america" The town was named for the company not the other way around though.

Oshkosh...Truck and Overalls

Are you sure the company was named after the town and not the other way around?

There is a town in South Carolina named "Elgin" . The town was formerly known as "Blaney" but residents voted to change the name of the town after the Elgin Watch Company decided to build a manufacturing facility there. The watch company only lasted a few years and then closed but the name "Elgin" remains to this day.

sy
Buffalo Wild Wings
Buffalo Wild Wings is named after the food "Buffalo Wings." The company has never been anywhere near Buffalo, NY. It was founded in Columbus, OH and is now headquartered in Georgia.

The Buffalo Wings come from an establishment called the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

sy

Buffalo Wild Wings is named after the food "Buffalo Wings." The company has never been anywhere near Buffalo, NY. It was founded in Columbus, OH and is now headquartered in Georgia.

The Buffalo Wings come from an establishment called the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.
One more degree of separation and you'll find Kevin Bacon. Named after Bacon, Indiana.

Muncie transmissions from Muncie IN. To be fair, Muncie is the model, they were always built by GM.

Wackovia
Komatsu
Sheffield (Another steel company)
LA Fitness
Nokia
Cisco (taken from San FranCISCO)
Budweiser (from Budweis)
Fiskars
Longines (??)
Fuji (okay, its a mountain, not a city)
Cathay Pacific (I think Cathay means China??)
Adobe (duh - named after a creek)

Wackovia
Komatsu
Sheffield (Another steel company)
LA Fitness
Nokia
Cisco (taken from San FranCISCO)
Budweiser (from Budweis)
Fiskars
Longines (??)
Fuji (okay, its a mountain, not a city)
Cathay Pacific (I think Cathay means China??)
Adobe (duh - named after a creek)
If you’re going there then Amazon

Back