Flying through nyc bravo Vfr these days?

DaveInPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I’m planning my night x-country for my commercial and will fly from PA over JFK and into MacArthur (KISP). Wondering if anyone has experience around jfk at night and if it’s been quiet these days? I’ll follow flight following but would like to plan a route that keeps me out of the way of incoming flights into jfk and not cause any trouble for the controllers. Ideally I’d fly above the bravo at 7500 and just ask to descend through the bravo when I cross Republic.

Anyone with experience talking to ATC in that area and has some advice for best routing into and out of that area?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this type of question...

Probably not a better time then now. File a flight plan and go. Where u flying out of pa?

If you’re on with approach you’ll have no problems. NY controllers are great. I fly a helicopter and they always work me in using the charted heli routes. You should review these routes. Lately however, the traffic has been so light jfk has given me direct w altitude at my discretion.

please note, both KFRG and KISP have limited control tower hours these days with KFRG reverting to class G and KISP reverting to class E after 1600 local. Check the NOTAMS.

A guy took his RV into EWR, JFK and LGA in one day, so they're probably able to handle you.
That is so amazing id love to see it.

I was driving next to EWR last week and saw a bird flying over the runway... looked closer and it was a cessna.
The airport is so large and the GA planes are so small it makes the scale seem so unreal up close, its amazing to watch. Must try it soon!

Study the charts the New York controllers are easy to work with if you sound like you have an idea of what your doing.

Back