Keep your head on a swivel

Watching that made my stomach hurt. Yikes!

Watching you can almost hear the plane pass underneath

Can’t really fault this pilot much. The other one certainly should have seen this coming.

Unless you're under the hood, you should be the one pointing traffic out the right seater, not the other way around.

I agree that it’s the PIC‘S responsibility to be vigilant, but If you can whip out your phone and take a video, you can certainly mention to me that there’s a huge hunk of aluminum hurtling towards us. :)

The aircraft that took the video was the give way aircraft (if the video isn't mirrored). The passenger was videoing pointed right where the other plane was coming from and the pilot took no evasive action, I'm thinking this was set up.

The aircraft that took the video was the give way aircraft (if the video isn't mirrored). The passenger was videoing pointed right where the other plane was coming from and the pilot took no evasive action, I'm thinking this was set up.
Technically yes, but every aircraft is the giveaway aircraft in the real world.
I agree it looks like a setup. The odds of getting that video out that window are about zero.

I agree it looks like a setup. The odds of getting that video out that window are about zero.

Absolutely agree with you.

By the lack of reaction on both planes part, I agree with those that think it was set up.

If so, that was akin to playing Russian roulette with 3 chambers loaded and the pilots need to be stripped of airman privileges forever. Could be some nice computer editing however.

After having an instant reaction that started with foxtrot im inclined upon thinking about it, my money is on a set up too

No big deal, they were doing some ADS-B artwork and wanted a nice sharp corner.

I agree that it’s the PIC‘S responsibility to be vigilant, but If you can whip out your phone and take a video, you can certainly mention to me that there’s a huge hunk of aluminum hurtling towards us. :)
But is that what happened or was the right seat just shooting video in that direction anyway? Or were the two planes flying together and the whole thing staged?

I'm not bragging but I've had friends and colleagues get that close to me more than once. And not always when I knew they were coming.

Numerous folks mentioning hints that it looks staged. The camera ship turned to follow...

Numerous folks mentioning hints that it looks staged. The camera ship turned to follow...
Anything's possible, but I think the timing at that angle would more likely be luck, staged or for real. Both planes look at about pattern altitude and whether they're in a traffic pattern or not that's what it'll look like when you come across an airport at midfield and turn downwind with somebody else already on downwind hiding behind your window post. The other guy? The one with the right of way? He's looking to his right for traffic entering on a 45 as per the AIM diagram.

Looks like a G1000-equipped airplane. You'd think they have traffic display and alerts. Staged or not, this is way closer than anything I'd want to have happen to me.

- Martin

As someone at another forum said, oh goodie... now my non-aviation friends can send me this video for years — asking if I’ve seen it, and that I’m going to die. LOL

Anything's possible, but I think the timing at that angle would more likely be luck, staged or for real.
You know I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective and now that you mention it, you're absolutely right. Getting the timing right from those approach angles would definitely be tricky if you were going to stage such a thing. But video storage capacity is dirt cheap. And even though avgas isn't cheap, I'd bet that even as hard as it is to get the timing right, you could easily dial it in after only a few passes if you were on your game. So I'm still going to reserve judgement until someone comes forward with the who what where how on this.

You know I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective and now that you mention it, you're absolutely right. Getting the timing right from those approach angles would definitely be tricky if you were going to stage such a thing. But video storage capacity is dirt cheap. And even though avgas isn't cheap, I'd bet that even as hard as it is to get the timing right, you could easily dial it in after only a few passes if you were on your game. So I'm still going to reserve judgement until someone comes forward with the who what where how on this.

You think it's that hard to set up? Looks like the camera plane was flying relatively slow, it the pass plane had the camera plane in sight from a mile or so out, it would be pretty easy to line it up and go for it I think.

Back