[NA] There ought NOT be a law [NA]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Comment in another thread got me thinking...

What law do you think should go away?

[Note: All of them is probably not feasible]

I'll start: When the City of Fort Worth annexed the area my house is on, it became illegal to have well and septic. We could keep the wells for external irrigation, but the septic and well had to be disconnected from the house and only city services are allowed inside.

Comment in another thread got me thinking...

What law do you think should go away?

[Note: All of them is probably not feasible]

I'll start: When the City of Fort Worth annexed the area my house is on, it became illegal to have well and septic. We could keep the wells for external irrigation, but the septic and well had to be disconnected from the house and only city services are allowed inside.
the reason why is revenue.

There ought to be a law...that I don't HAVE to be in the same health insurance risk pool as the typical Walmart shopper.

Is that why they send me a love note every month?
Speaking as one who gets 8 love notes from our city totaling on average about $7,000 per month, yes.

"You get the government you vote for"

Go back through several elections and look at the number of eligible voters that actively voted. You will be shocked at the low turn out numbers. We are letting a few of our citizens decide who will write and enact these laws while the majority sit on the sidelines, far more interested in who's playing football this weekend or what's being written on an internet forum, or which of their favorite celebrities are in the news.

Voter apathy is responsible for many of these laws. Next time someone complains about a law, just ask them "So, did you vote in the last election?"

Then impose a seven-year sunset on all laws, including existing ones. We're way past due on cleaning up the trash.

Rich

I'd like to see a maximum imposed on the number of laws. Want to pass a new one? Then you have to pick an old one to eliminate.

I'd like to see a maximum imposed on the number of laws. Want to pass a new one? Then you have to pick an old one to eliminate.

Or charge legislators actual money out of their salaries for every new law they sponsor.

Another option I've recommended slightly facetiously is to start legislative salaries at $1M / year, but subtract $10K every day they show up to work.

Rich

Removing essentially every restriction on access to voting rights was the hard right turn towards the death of our republic.

Not sure if it was a right or left turn, but it was the wrong turn.

NOW THEN. LET"S NOT GET POLITICAL! No locks needed here. Just talk about silly laws. Pretty please with pure cane sugar on the side, in case you don't like sugar. ;)

Not sure if it was a right or left turn, but it was the wrong turn.

NOW THEN. LET"S NOT GET POLITICAL! No locks needed here. Just talk about silly laws. Pretty please with pure cane sugar on the side, in case you don't like sugar. ;)
If you’ll edit your post to delete my quote it will be like it never happened ... well. At least internets version of didn’t happen.

My opinion is that if I'm required to pay taxes, then I expect to have the right to vote. Or did I misunderstand the original comment?

Why not a number of votes proportional to taxes paid? Like voting shares in a corporation.

I don't agree with that, but I do STRONGLY believe that everyone should pay taxes, and if you pay no taxes at all then you should not have a right to decide how other people's money is spent... in other words, in order to vote you must be a tax-paying citizen. Not neither of those qualities, nor just one of those... but both of them. Tax paying... and citizen... and be able to prove both.

Of course.. that would be another law... and we're talking about laws to abolish. Anything governing what I can and can't do with my own property and on my own land, as long as it has no harmful effects on those around me (and I'm not talking about neighbors complaining about the color of my shutters or the length of my grass... that is not "harm") should be abolished immediately. Increasing my property taxes because I spent my already-taxed money to improve my property... that's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back