Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

You may be right. I'm not in the pro pilot league but it seems to apply to me too. Some of Jerry's visual antics may make me cringe a little, but they really don't bother me. His IFR foibles, OTOH...

The guy who does the “Captain Roger Victor” puppet did a very funny fake text messaging animation a few days ago acting like the Captain was missing his FO badly...

He keeps pestering his FO to “do that thing! I miss it!”

FO says no then finally gives in...

“Clear Right!”

LOL.

...which describes both the 414 and the 421. I guess I'm also a little bit confused as to why one poster was suggesting a 414 would be better than a 421 for the short trips. :dunno:

Well, the 414 burns about 8 fewer gallons per hour - so about 4 gallons each way between AUN and OAK, since the two planes will take nearly identical times to make the trip. If you watch his review video, he notes that he would have kept the 414 if it had boots. I think de ice was a big part of his decision.

Geared engine, sounds like a money pit.

Good thing it isn't your money, or mine.

I was beginning to think 1120A was jerry but you may be right.....

I'm definitely not Jerry.

Last edited:
Well, the 414 burns about 8 fewer gallons per hour - so about 4 gallons each way between AUN and OAK, since the two planes will take nearly identical times to make the trip. If you watch his review video, he notes that he would have kept the 414 if it had boots. I think de ice was a big part of his decision.

Good thing it isn't your money, or mine.

I'm definitely not Jerry.
Didn’t realize he didn’t have de-ice on the 414. . That actually makes more sense now.

Didn’t realize he didn’t have de-ice on the 414. . That actually makes more sense now.

Yeah, that plane was very nice, but literally had zero ice protection on anything other than the props, other than a ceramic coating he did as an experiment.

What now? He avoided icing
I think @flyingcheesehead was referring more to the ceramic coating experiment. The FAA generally frowns on people experimenting on certified aircraft. Even more so when those people are not certified mechanics.

Who wants to spend the $10.00 to order the FAA records on the plane? I'm curious to see how the experimental ceramic anti-icing coating was accomplished and documented on the 337, but not $10 worth of curious.

I think @flyingcheesehead was referring more to the ceramic coating experiment. The FAA generally frowns on people experimenting on certified aircraft. Even more so when those people are not certified mechanics.

Who wants to spend the $10.00 to order the FAA records on the plane? I'm curious to see how the experimental ceramic anti-icing coating was accomplished and documented on the 337, but not $10 worth of curious.

I'd be more interested in how it was verified whether it worked or not.

It wasn't an experimental ceramic anti-icing coating. Just a legal polish that seems to repel ice.

It wasn't an experimental ceramic anti-icing coating. Just a legal polish that seems to repel ice.
You are extremely informed about this guy. ;)

I think this is a new vid. Popped up over on reddit. Queued to the best parts

Jerry thinks that deicing boots are something to do with what a stripper wears, that's why he bought the 421.

Looks like a decent split on fuel flows for the same mp, not familiar with Cessna twins looks to be 3-5gph?

At 3:20 he says turning left crosswind while he's in a 20 degree right bank.

he says turning right xwind.

can't believe I still watch this sht. I keep telling myself to just wait for the highlites on the internet.

Just watched one of his vids flying to Tahoe. The sectional states RP for 36. Wanna guess which way he entered...?

That's weird. I'm sure I heard left quite clearly the first time.

Last edited:
27:05
ATC: looks like you're a mile past final, what are you doing?
Jerry: turning back now, autopilot didn't want to turn so I'm making a big turn back to final.....we can call it established now I'm turning back on course

steep turn back to final. I'm glad jerry cleared it up and is calling it established now that he's in a steep turn in imc.

29:25
Jerry: and you can see the glideslope is a tad high and that agrees with the papi

that's right jerry, the glideslope is high. definitely not you that's high, it's the glideslope.

Jerry forgot to activate the approach, he eventually activates the approach after he blew through final, as he was turning back to the final approach course. If you don't activate the approach the autopilot doesn't know where to go, that's why he blew through final.

He also talked a few minutes before about pressing the heading button and the nav button together to intercept the localizer. His BIL Mike, told him this. But I'm thinking Jerry misunderstood Mike, Mike is pretty sharp. I'm talking from the G1000 perspective *(see what I did there?) should be similar for Jerry's avionics, anyway, if you are on vectors, you would have heading mode selected on the FMS. If you are told to intercept the final approach course while on vectors, but not cleared for the approach, you can, while in heading mode, with vectors to final activated, press the NAV button to arm the nav mode. The FMS will continue on the vector and turn onto the final approach course. The FMS will fly the final approach course with out vertical guidance. When you are cleared for the approach, you arm the approach mode, and you get vertical guidance. None of it will work though if you have not activated the approach. Jerry needs some more time with an instructor who knows his avionics.

He was "direct to" a GPS fix on a GPS approach, and he puts it into heading mode to try to get it to automatically intercept the approach. How does that make sense? It is GPS nav the whole way, there is nothing to intercept. You could even see the GPS using turn anticipation at 26:20. I don't think he understands his avionics at all. Of course, it's Mike's fault.

He was "direct to" a GPS fix on a GPS approach, and he puts it into heading mode to try to get it to automatically intercept the approach. How does that make sense? It is GPS nav the whole way, there is nothing to intercept. You could even see the GPS using turn anticipation at 26:20. I don't think he understands his avionics at all. Of course, it's Mike's fault.

I only watched sections of the video, but yes it was dumb switching over to heading since he was cleared to the what I think was the IAF. It was a mess, lol, and he blamed it on Mike, not Mike's fault. Also I like to see the FMS sequence through the flight plan at this stage, that would have made it painfully obvious that he was not going to follow the approach.

“I’ll call that established” with full scale deflection. :)

What’s up with the AHRS failing on touchdown and him acting like it’s supposed to do that?

I notice that a lot in pilots, accepting failures like that as no big deal, not sure why. I would not take that airplane into the clouds until that problem was fixed. Apparently there is no turbulence in California.

He was "direct to" a GPS fix on a GPS approach, and he puts it into heading mode to try to get it to automatically intercept the approach. How does that make sense?.
It doesn't. You are right. To remain coupled in the 200 he needed to remain in GPSS mode for the autopilot to make the turn and arm APR mode. He switched to pure heading mode and the autopilot just followed the bug. He has a discussion in the comments about that.

Apparently, the 200 works a little differently in terms of the small intercept angle it needs to capture the FAC. I know that some don't switch to APR until they are already established on the extended FAC. Anyone here who uses the box and can clarify?

Here's another one with really good ADM switching controls seconds before round-out and flare

youtube.com/watch?v=2KcDLqJDrYM&t=22m0s

Back