Coping with Covid-19

Yes, Covid induced cancer.

More seriously, I wonder how many will die because they put off cancer screenings and other routine preventative actions?

My mother’s aunt (87) had a fall and broke her hip a few weeks ago. Had surgery and post-op developed a blood clot and passed away in a local nursing home. Her death was listed as ‘complications from COVID-19’. Yeah, seriously.

Did someone say ‘joke’ and ‘scam’?

If you are in a slightly more honest state, you might get a little asterisk saying that you're included in the death count even though there was no positive test.

Screenings for other conditions are now being solicited and allowed, at least around here.

I wonder how many will die because they put off cancer screenings and other routine preventative actions?
FWIW: They're technically called "excess deaths." While the data is raw, it is being complied and roughly 30% of people are not pursuing "normal" doctor or ER visits. One NYC ER doctor stated normally there were 240 ER visits daily pre-COVID. Now they average 20 per week. Some are saying cancer and other similar preventable deaths will jump over 40% in the coming years. It's just another issue that seems to complicate the overall COVID response. Time will tell.

More seriously, I wonder how many will die because they put off cancer screenings and other routine preventative actions?

A number of people have even died taking their chances with a heart attack or stroke vs. seeking medical attention for fear of going to the hospital.

That, I simply do not understand. I'm just as willing to call 911 today as I was a year ago.

Rob, to your point, I am certainly drinking more wine. Do you have some you could send me? Your selection was quite good. ;)

Having to advise the general public is hard. If you tell them > 98% chance you’ll recover some won’t take any precautions and some will huddle in their basement in terror.

Things are pretty good here in NC even though we are on Stage 1. Local car traffic in town looks like normal...most people not wearing masks....that bothers me a bit. I actually found toilet paper on the shelf at a Wallyworld Express today. I can tell that if we do not start hair salons pretty soon, I will look like Jerry Garcia with a bigger belly. I have doughnuts, cake with cream cheese icing, pound cake and brownies sitting on the counter...normally maybe oatmeal cookies in stock here. I read an article that hospitals get an extra 13K from the government for treating a covid19 patient. If the patient goes to ICU....they get 39K. Everybody admitted is a covid19 patient these days.

Other than restaurants being closed, I'm not having any trouble coping. I've realized that I can get along pretty well without ever seeing my co-workers, or having awkward hallway conversations about what we did over the weekend. It's great having no commute, and being able to slip out and take a bike ride whenever I feel like it. My biggest fear is that when I have to go back into the office every day I may just pick up and quit!

Yeah my life has changed little, this is mostly an inconvenience. It’s not really in my community and most aren’t worrying too much, depending on location maybe 20-80% wear masks.

I’m really worried about all the small business owners and people who can’t go to work though.

It's just an inconvenience to me too. I never went to restaurants much unless it was someone else's idea. I don't care about getting my hair cut. I have never been to a nail salon. I have a couple volunteer 'jobs' but they are both tied to the tourist industry, actually the National Park Service, and neither park is open. I'm used to amusing myself, and there are plenty of beautiful places to walk nearby. It's a little ironic that when people ask how I like the city, I tell them I like the edges of the city, the edges near the water, and that the city would be better with a lot fewer people. That's what it looks like now.

On the other hand, I would like to travel, and I really feel for the individuals and businesses who are financially impacted.

Last edited:
Hilariously, as draconian of some of our stay at home order in IL is, we're allowed to travel. I can get in my car and drive over to MO where the restaurants are open and eat out or climb into my plane and fly to a beach somewhere that's open and I'm not technically violating anything.

My mother’s aunt (87) had a fall and broke her hip a few weeks ago. Had surgery and post-op developed a blood clot and passed away in a local nursing home. Her death was listed as ‘complications from COVID-19’. Yeah, seriously.

Seriously? That's madness. Also, I'm sorry

Things are slowly opening up here. I think our count is 27 for c19.

My work schedule has changed 1 week quarantine 28 days on living in a man camp when I'm on. 28 days off then I start all over, 5 weeks away from home.

On my days off I spend a lot of time at the hangar working on projects and fly when the weather is 1/2 way decent. Normally leave the house around 9 and get home around dinner time.

Last edited:
I realized today that since I've been sheltered in place and socially distancing I'm smoking more cigars. One or two a day.

When I get mouth cancer, will I be in the Covid death count?

Inquiring minds....
I’ve noticed the same. Famous smoke shop and holts sure am glad I’m home...

I had a Padron 1964 and a Kristoff Cameroon today. Very tasty. Considering my pay cut and the looming furlough I may have to switch to white owls.

Yeah, seriously... after the surgery she was placed in a nursing home, and less than a week after surgery she had a stroke due to a blood clot in her leg and passed away. She did NOT have coronavirus - this makes me fully believe that the actual number of COVID-19 cases are much lower than the reported number.

Thank you - I didn’t know her very well, but saw her a few times over the years. Sad nonetheless...:(

I’d be curious to see if the death rate overall this year is statistically different than past years. I’d wager it isn’t.

This is true. It is largely due to funding - Covid numbers result in more federal money. At Lisa’s ER, they have seen MVC deaths, falls, heart attacks and more listed with Covid as the primary cause. It is part of CDC and hospital administration rules in effect (at least here).

My wife and many of the providers working with her here also have a growing anger over the restricted access to services. Thankfully TX is largely open...but too late for some. An elderly neighbor we spend a lot of time with was hospitalized the other day due to an inability to get ongoing care for his heart condition from a cardiologist. His wife contacted me yesterday; his prognosis is death. The non-Covid icu has been packed with pts like him at our hospital.

I’d be curious to see if the death rate overall this year is statistically different than past years. I’d wager it isn’t.

From what I've seen it's basically identical. Since everyone's required to stay home they're not going out and doing things that normally kill them, which offsets the COVID deaths.

A number of people have even died taking their chances with a heart attack or stroke vs. seeking medical attention for fear of going to the hospital.

That, I simply do not understand. I'm just as willing to call 911 today as I was a year ago.

About 200 / day were dying at home in NYC as of the last time I talked to a friend who's an FDNY paramedic. That was a couple of weeks ago. He said that many of them were found sitting in chairs, dead, with an open bottle of aspirin nearby, suggesting that they knew they were having heart attacks but decided to take their chances rather than call EMS.

That's just for FDNY EMS, by the way. It doesn't count those found by the police or private ambulance companies.

Rich

From what I've seen it's basically identical. Since everyone's required to stay home they're not going out and doing things that normally kill them, which offsets the COVID deaths.

Depends where you are. For harder hit states in the northeast, the weekly death rate well exceeds the normal distribution:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

Here's an international look (although it doesn''t show the interannual variability without COVID):
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

I ''liked'' this only because of the joke and scam comment. I am sorry about your great aunts death.

To the how we're coping things question... really like others, this is an inconvenience or if anything a quality of life improvement in some ways. I'm very much enjoying working from home. Now that school is effectively out and restrictions are being lifted I do want to leave the kids with the babysitter more (both when Laurie's at work and home) so that I can get some things done and help maintain my sanity.

I'm sleeping a lot more, working out more, still fulfilling the needs of the day job, and getting more other projects done around the house. Spending more time with my kids (although sometimes that's too much time without any "me" breaks, hence the previous comment). The best part is spending more time with my wife.

I'm going a bit stir crazy. I'm usually in the office 5 days a week. Even my co-workers that normally work from home 3 days a week are going stir crazy. Many of them live in apartments and have young kids, that are not is school due to this mess, so rather chaotic for them and nowhere to go.

I think what may be adding to my recent fraying nerves is we were going to be in Amsterdam this week and heading to Ireland tomorrow, then a week later in Paris to see the French Open. This is after not getting to see our youngest graduate from college last week as that is postponed. And work says we have to use our vacation this year and we can't roll any more than the normal 5 days into 2021.

Then there is then tension from people sure that their perspective on this mess is "the right" perspective. People yelling about listening to "the experts" except those experts don't agree with each other and often contradict themselves.

*sigh*

Hopefully my Angel Flight today helps, and the long weekend next weekend too. I'm flying up to get one daughter and her dogs and we'll have a graduation party for the youngest.

Wayne

I've worked from home for years. About the only changes are fewer grocery store trips, no weekly airport BBQ and no trip over the hill to do some volunteer teaching a few times per month. I would like to get the tile and flooring for the bathroom, but as I'm not actually ready for it I really can't blame the virus.

During the annual neighborhood clean-up day today (yes, we had it, some people did their work earlier in the week to have better weather and stay away from others) I was talking to a retired doctor. He said that the overall reduction in business for hospitals is not good. Too many doctors with too little to do. And we're in in ground zero - the state capital. King Jay has really got people running around scared, even though the numbers don't support him one bit.

During the annual neighborhood clean-up day today (yes, we had it, some people did their work earlier in the week to have better weather and stay away from others) I was talking to a retired doctor. He said that the overall reduction in business for hospitals is not good. Too many doctors with too little to do. And we're in in ground zero - the state capital. King Jay has really got people running around scared, even though the numbers don't support him one bit.
If the numbers are low, why isn't that evidence that "King Jay's" plan is working?

Even more to the point, why anywhere the numbers are low is there still a King?

Emergency powers are for acute time-critical emergencies.

Apparently over with there — time to put the duly elected legislature back in charge and have a representative democracy again.

They can authorize the King to run whatever they like, with proper legislative oversight.

Goes for all 46 States currently being run by one individual. We don’t do that in America.

Thanks for the initial attack. Time critical. Now you’re back to your normal role doing whatever the legislature approves.

We do representative democracy here.

I think I will avoid getting into further discussion of Washington state politicians and/or political issues.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
That shows that the low numbers are not proof of effectiveness, but it doesn't rule out effectiveness. It appeared that the low numbers were being used to assert that the public health measures are unnecessary.

If the numbers are low, why isn't that evidence that "King Jay's" plan is working?
I wish I could find the website that was circulating a while back with “statistics” like deaths from head-on car crashes exactly mirror the increase in toddler consumption of Cheerios. The real answer to the COVID problem is probably there somewhere.

I wish I could find the website that was circulating a while back with “statistics” like deaths from head-on car crashes exactly mirror the increase in toddler consumption of Cheerios. The real answer to the COVID problem is probably there somewhere.
I suggested it was evidence, not proof.

Other than really missing Restaurants, no big deal for me. I would also like a haircut but last time I checked after the Barbershops opened Friday, the typical waiting time is 1:30.

Cheers

PS, Correlation doesn't not necessarily mean causation.

Back