105 Degree Temps

gca

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gca
Hi all,
I'm not too sure if this is the right place in the forum to ask this, but I wanted some insight and opinions on this:

In June, I'll be taking a 180HP C172SP to KHII (Lake Havasu, CA) with full tanks and 2 pax (3 people total), and it's expected to be 105 degrees F. While I know it won't be the most comfortable flight, I have some safety concerns. I'm inside the W&B and CG limits, but I'm mainly concerned about the well being of aircraft components in that heat, like the engine, especially during takeoff and the climb out where I'd be at full power.

What are your thoughts on flying in those temps in that situation? Just looking for some insight and opinions.

Thanks,
-gca

Opinion: business as usual, otherwise you’d have either a bunch of planes not flying or in the shop for overhaul due to longevity in the southern summers. Maybe we do, but I haven’t heard of it.

If you want to feel better, pull back some power once you’re above traffic pattern, and keep the climb attitude shallow for cowl airflow.

Does your POH/AFM have a density altitude chart? If not, there's plenty around the web. Example, in the summer in Denver at Centennial, KAPA, ground is 5800 MSL. It's not just common but expected that the DA is 8500 and up. On the ground. Lake Havasu is 755 MSL, so on a hot day, on the ground, your DA will be over 3000 ft. For those of us who live in the big hills, no biggie. But if you've never experienced DA, go read a few articles.

Fortunately, 3K aint no big deal regardless.

http://www.roswellflighttestcrew.com/densityaltitudechart.html

Fly very early in the morning. More comfortable for all, including the engine.

Hi all,
In June, I'll be taking a 180HP C172SP to KHII (Lake Havasu, CA) with full tanks and 2 pax (3 people total), and it's expected to be 105 degrees F. While I know it won't be the most comfortable flight, I have some safety concerns. I'm inside the W&B and CG limits, but I'm mainly concerned about the well being of aircraft components in that heat, like the engine, especially during takeoff and the climb out where I'd be at full power.

What are your thoughts on flying in those temps in that situation? Just looking for some insight and opinions.

Yeah, June is generally the hottest month, and it can get right toasty along the Colorado River. 120F+ isn't unheard of there. If the airplane has a CHT gauge installed, keep an eye on it to monitor temps in the climb. Don't try to continue climbing at Vy after reaching pattern altitude. A 180 hp 172S should be able to give a decent rate of climb even at 100 KIAS for better engine cooling, until you get up into some cooler air, and/or you get high enough that the engine can't produce full power anyway.

Bring some light-colored towels to drape over the instrument panel and yokes while you're parked -- and the seats too, especially if they are leather or vinyl. Bring extra drinking water.

Here's a video of a trip to KHII last October in our 180 hp 172N, with a landing on 32 and takeoff on 14:

Oh, and by the way, Lake Havasu City and KHII are in Arizona. :)

Just plan for a very slow climb. CHTs will be your limiting factor.

Run the numbers for takeoff runway required.

It's pretty hard to overheat the cylinders on a 172SP. Not saying it can't be done, but it's certainly a lot easier on other airframes with the same engine.

Yeah, June is generally the hottest month, and it can get right toasty along the Colorado River. 120F+ isn't unheard of there. If the airplane has a CHT gauge installed, keep an eye on it to monitor temps in the climb. Don't try to continue climbing at Vy after reaching pattern altitude. A 180 hp 172S should be able to give a decent rate of climb even at 100 KIAS for better engine cooling, until you get up into some cooler air, and/or you get high enough that the engine can't produce full power anyway.

Bring some light-colored towels to drape over the instrument panel and yokes while you're parked -- and the seats too, especially if they are leather or vinyl. Bring extra drinking water.

Here's a video of a trip to KHII last October in our 180 hp 172N, with a landing on 32 and takeoff on 14:

Oh, and by the way, Lake Havasu City and KHII are in Arizona. :)

So THAT's what I sound like on the radio. Hmmmm

Too bad you didn't have a rear view camera Jeff. I would have been a little speck behind you.

We all learn about "density altitude"...but I tell ya, until you experience your first max gross high altitude high heat day you really have no idea.

Make sure your numbers are good and be ready for a climb rate like a fat guy with a box full of Krispy Creams going up a mountain. That is the only time I ever set off a stall horn in flight.

Get a reflective windshield sun shade and do not take it off until you are ready to taxi! Those do actually make a ton of difference. If you use any EFBs or iThingies...be ready for them to overheat. They will.

Here at KFLY (N.E. of Colorado Springs) with a field elevation of 6900 we regularly have a DA of 10 K on a nice warm summer day. And we will lose the occasional airplane from the low country that stops in for gas but tries to take off with full rich mixture.

If it's only 105 F in June in Lake Havasu City, the locals start putting on their sweaters.

I've been going there since 1968, before the London Bridge arrived. In this December 1968 photo, the wooden pylons mark the future location of the bridge. The ceremonial "first stone" is inside the iron fence to the left of the flagpoles. It doesn't look like that now.

PICT0099.JPG

Those were the days when the airport (LHU) was on the peninsula, where developer Robert McCulloch flew in thousands of real estate prospects in his fleet of Lockheed Constellations and Electras.

LakeHavasu_AZ_68_Connies_se.jpg

If you look carefully you can still see evidence of the old runways.

P4230593.jpeg

+1 for density altitude along with climb rate being the most important thing to consider. Definitely check performance charts.

I fly in 100 degrees regularly in my Grumman, so don’t imagine it would be a problem...a 180hp 172 will well be up and away while mine is still getting a personal view of tree tops.

Back