Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Died: Joyce Lin, Missionary Pilot Transporting Coronavirus Supplies

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/missionary-pilot-joyce-lin-died-papua-crash.html

A 40-year-old American missionary pilot delivering COVID-19 supplies to remote villages died in a plane crash in Indonesia on Tuesday.

Joyce Lin, a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF), was transporting rapid test kits and school supplies to a village in Papua, the easternmost province in the far-flung island chain. She took off from the city of Sentani at 6:27 a.m. and made a distress call two minutes later, MAF spokesman Brad Hoagland said. A search-and-rescue team found her Kodiak 100 airplane crashed into nearby Lake Sentani and recovered her body from about 40 feet under the water, according to local police.

Yep, planes crash. Especially in third world countries and remote locations.

Is there anything unique to this article?

- Well its a turbine-powered bush plane specifically designed for this mission. You don't hear of many Kodiak's going down.
- it was a lady pilot flying missions in a remote part of the world.
- the company had not had an accident in 23 years.

Unique:
adjective; existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics.
Nope, you're right. There is no such thing as a unique aviation accident. We should all just stfu and never mention an aviation accident every again. I know I won't...

Several other crashes and incidents happened as well. Just wondered why you felt this was worth noting.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/
I guess the tie-in to coronavirus plus the exotic locale caught my eye.

I post articles when I think folks might find them interesting, but whether they're worth noting or not I leave to the readers to judge.

Yes, planes crash.

And active pilots are typically interested in the details when they do. That is the reason for an aviation mishaps forum area and the reason that every flying magazine and website has one or more columns dedicated to similar content.

Thanks @Palmpilot, I hadn't heard of this accident.

Third world? I think that term has been passé for a decade or more. Why would a Kodiak with a US pilot crash more frequently in one country than another? Not much reason.

Thanks for the post Richard. I felt it honored a selfless, hard working, first generation immigrant who must have had many choices in life(MIT graduate in computer science), but died trying to help the less fortunate. She was a hero in my way of thinking, not out for a pleasure trip or trying to chase the dollar like many in our society. RIP

Thanks for the post Richard. I felt it honored a selfless, hard working, first generation immigrant who must have had many choices in life(MIT graduate in computer science), but died trying to help the less fortunate. She was a hero in my way of thinking, not out for a pleasure trip or trying to chase the dollar like many in our society. RIP
I confess to feeling some admiration for what she was doing with her life.

It makes me regret my snarky post in a thread about such a woman.

RIP Doctor.

A friend and colleague has volunteered with Mission Aviation Fellowship for many years and has told me a bit about the group. MAF usually has a tent at SnF where you can learn more. Stop by and talk with them sometime. Amazing and dedicated people doing some amazing things.

RIP

Heartbreaking for that org, I’m certain. Have been following their work since back when they were still running their school in TN and other business out of CA. Met a number of staff at both locations long long ago.

RIP.

I imagine there’s not a lot of places to make an emergency landing in that area.

Third world? I think that term has been passé for a decade or more. Why would a Kodiak with a US pilot crash more frequently in one country than another? Not much reason.

Really? It seems like a pretty good descriptor for Indonesia. It’s more polite than s*hole, which is how I described it when we did some activities there in the service. I have wondered how well Mx is able to be completed on aircraft in such places.

it's been noted to be sloppy in all three worlds.

I guess I see your point, but it would be very surprising to me that a country that has a couple hundred million people expending less than $25/month can provide adequate access to quality airplane mechanics, parts, and clean fuel...making Indonesia’s sloppy not even remotely comparable to sloppy mechanics in the US.

I guess I see your point, but it would be very surprising to me that a country that has a couple hundred million people expending less than $25/month can provide adequate access to quality airplane mechanics, parts, and clean fuel...making Indonesia’s sloppy not even remotely comparable to sloppy mechanics in the US.
I think MAF services Their own airplanes. I know JAR did.

I think MAF services Their own airplanes. I know JAR did.

The Kodiak was developed using MAF seed money. Many of their flying crew are pilot/mechanics. I don't know how deep they are involved in the maintenance of the fleet but I always assumed that they control their maintenance.

Last edited:
Really? It seems like a pretty good descriptor for Indonesia. It’s more polite than s*hole, which is how I described it when we did some activities there in the service. I have wondered how well Mx is able to be completed on aircraft in such places.

I believe all of their pilots are still required to hold a US A&P certificate.

If they can fly parts in, it’s “usually fixable” to a point where they can fly it to somewhere more hospitable to major work.

But they’ve left a few where they sat and stripped parts from them, too, if they’re sitting near a “runway”.

MAF is a great organization. I supported a high school friend for 20 years who flew 185’s in Indonesia. He was an A&P and held a commercial and instrument rating. I believe MAF does maintain their own aircraft, but with turbines, it may be different. I know the Kodak trading center is located in Spokane at Felts Field so you see a lot of them going in and out.

Honestly, this actually seems like a fairly well balanced headline.. unfortunately Coronavirus became a political thing so I think people have an "automatic-angry" response to any news article that mentions it.. but this headline doesn't seem misleading or sensational

I'm sure if she died bringing them malaria drugs or something else it would have made the news as well, simply as a result of the unique nature of the job

upload_2020-5-18_14-35-43.png

A friend and colleague has volunteered with Mission Aviation Fellowship for many years and has told me a bit about the group. MAF usually has a tent at SnF where you can learn more. Stop by and talk with them sometime. Amazing and dedicated people doing some amazing things.

RIP

They are doing right things for very wrong reasons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back