The person who did this is a moron.

I just did a power line inspection project and everyone who came out to talk to us (and one guy with his riding mower stuck in the mud on the side of the road) said they got the letter in the mail weeks ago and they'd been waiting to see the drones in action. Sounds like an issue for the power company. We had to get some pretty long distance down the line when we found a good spot to fly from so it wouldn't be possible to know where we were operating from even though we were wearing reflective vests and hard hats.

How difficult would it be to hit a Blue Angle formation?

next to impossible ? I am guessing.

You will be required to get it in to the intake.

And the drone regulations state what? Don't look it up, it says:

“The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level unless the small unmanned aircraft is (1) flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure, and (2) does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit.”

That is 107.51 which likely does not apply.
More likely 101.41, and 101.43

101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

§101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.
No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

Well, someone is getting warm on the Part 107 vs 101 rules. Unfortunately for this dude, if he is indeed Part 101, 336 was repealed with the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. Prior to that being signed into law last year, the 400 ft rule didn’t apply. Contrary to popular belief, it was only a recommendation. Also, in the 101 with the 400 ft rule the FAA conveniently left out the whole 400ft within a structure. It’s just 400 AGL. Not that it would even matter because no one is going to convince me this isn’t careless / reckless behavior and avoiding / giving way to manned aircraft.

Obviously I don’t know if this person is operating for hobby or commercially, don’t even know it’s a guy. But, when one flys their UAS at night and makes the comment “might of broke a couple FAA regulations tonight.” It’s generally a non 107 operator and the poor decision making / grammar suggests a male.

B3308070-200C-4065-8C63-F9410D0A8C98.jpeg

Last edited:
The demo teams should carry tiny missiles for these type of occurrences.

Come to think of it, they're lucky they didn't take ground fire in Detroit.....

Enough drone buzzing around, sooner or later someone is going to get one in the correct position to get sucked into an intake.

Come to think of it, they're lucky they didn't take ground fire in Detroit.....
I assume that's why they stayed north of I-94 and didn't fly over the downriver area where I live.

Edit: The ANG A-10's did come downriver to Wyandotte - but they carry one seriously bad ass gun...

Last edited:
Enough drone buzzing around, sooner or later someone is going to get one in the correct position to get sucked into an intake.
If that were to happen, I bet it would get done by a bystander as FOD. not while flying.

I doubt it would cause an engine change. Blade blendable limits are 1/8" into the row 4.

Someone in our neighborhood admitted to shooting at a drone out here a few days ago.

Operator was in an unmarked SUV, very far from him (not visible which I believe unless a waiver isn’t okay?) and was surveying power lines.

And the guy was taking a leak in the prairie grass while working on acreage when he spotted it. Grabbed the pellet gun for varmits and popped off a few.

LOL.

That's just not right. Pellet gun? You really need a 12 gauge. :)

Someone in our neighborhood admitted to shooting at a drone out here a few days ago.

Operator was in an unmarked SUV, very far from him (not visible which I believe unless a waiver isn’t okay?) and was surveying power lines.

And the guy was taking a leak in the prairie grass while working on acreage when he spotted it. Grabbed the pellet gun for varmits and popped off a few.

LOL.

Other folks who saw the guy launching before his drone came over their property let him know it was a legitimate operator, but he had no way of knowing. And really didn’t care when folks mentioned airspace above him isn’t his property.

“Oh well. Try trespassing to come get the pieces next time if you’re not going to notify me of what you’re doing.”

I can confirm no one out here received any notification, written or otherwise. They probably flew my power lines, but I have only one regularly open window I can even see them through.

I’d also have known to look harder for the operator, but no markings, dark SUV, probably a contractor, no company badge, nothing? Dumb out here, man. That’s a good way to end up with not just the drone at gunpoint.

I’ve made a little fun of the safety best thing for drone pilots over the years, but it’s really a good idea out here.

That said, act weird and I also want the main number that *I* look up for whoever you’re working for to answer and say you’re supposed to be here. I’m no expert on what their company badges look like. Etc.

I’d be interested to hear what our actual drone pilots do in rural areas with large property that needs flown over. It’s really easy for me to identify a power company truck driving the right of way. Not so easy to know why a big drone is buzzing around the yard. :)
I have a high pressure gas line running through about 1,000 feet of my property. Because it's a utility, they are not required to let you know in advance if they are inspecting or clearing the right-of-way. I know that is true in most states.

I have a high pressure gas line running through about 1,000 feet of my property. Because it's a utility, they are not required to let you know in advance if they are inspecting or clearing the right-of-way. I know that is true in most states.
I’m guessing that inspecting from a dark, unmarked SUV happens all the time, too?

That's just not right. Pellet gun? You really need a 12 gauge. :)

Both of these were the most popular responses on NextDoor. LOL

But yeah, no notice given that any of us have found even looking for it.

Not to defend anyone but how likely is it a little drone is going to take down a military jet? Seems extremely unlikely to me but what do I know?

Somewhat relevant viewing...

Not to defend anyone but how likely is it a little drone is going to take down a military jet? Seems extremely unlikely to me but what do I know?

Somewhat relevant viewing...
“Taking the airplane down” isn’t the only negative impact (pardon the pun) that a drone can have, and if he’s flying as close as it seems to military jets, do you think he’s going to show more caution around “little airplanes”?

And while the odds are long, I’ve seen enough long odds come in over the years in airplanes that I don’t make decisions based on the odds of something happening.

the guy in the video also makes the (false) assumption that not enough of the drone is going to make it throuh the prop intact enough to go through the windshield. You’d be amazed at what I’ve seen that’s passed through three-bladed props intact at 2700 rpm and 120 knots.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not advocating anyone go do it or we do away with all the associated rules and penalties. I'd say to compare it something familiar, a bird strike is probably a good comparison at least in terms of consequence. I've taken evasive action for birds a few times, have yet to encounter a drone.

I just see a great deal of hysteria over drones which, to me, seems above and beyond what's called for given the threat. To bring this back to aviation, we have dozens of little things that could kill us on any given flight and I think it's important to keep our mental energy focused on the big stuff rather than obsess over the one in a million shots.

Yeah I'm not advocating anyone go do it or we do away with all the associated rules and penalties. I'd say to compare it something familiar, a bird strike is probably a good comparison at least in terms of consequence. I've taken evasive action for birds a few times, have yet to encounter a drone.

I just see a great deal of hysteria over drones which, to me, seems above and beyond what's called for given the threat. To bring this back to aviation, we have dozens of little things that could kill us on any given flight and I think it's important to keep our mental energy focused on the big stuff rather than obsess over the one in a million shots.
I wouldn’t consider this obsessing over a one-in-a-million...it’s a discussion of an actual occurrence that doesn’t appear to be far from causing a midair.

I agree. At least 3 violations.

Yeah I'm not advocating anyone go do it or we do away with all the associated rules and penalties. I'd say to compare it something familiar, a bird strike is probably a good comparison at least in terms of consequence. ...

A few facts:
- Your average crow weighs about 1 pound. Your average brown pelican weighs 7-8 pounds.
- Birds have hollow bones. They are easy to break/shatter/pulverize. The hardest part of a bird is its beak.
- A drone is hard metal and plastic.
- A drone of equal weight to a bird will do considerably more damage.

A few facts:
- Your average crow weighs about 1 pound. Your average brown pelican weighs 7-8 pounds.
- Birds have hollow bones. They are easy to break/shatter/pulverize. The hardest part of a bird is its beak.
- A drone is hard metal and plastic.
- A drone of equal weight to a bird will do considerably more damage.

Most of the consumer drone market is DJI and their most common models (the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4) are 2 and 3 lb respectively. Some Mavic variants are cheaper and lighter.

Back