New found respect for George Carlin

I sorta wish he was still around..... With all that has happened since November of 2016, what is happening today, he would have enough material for 10-15 90-minute comedy specials.

He was an unfiltered funny man...always loved him

I sorta wish he was still around..... With all that has happened since November of 2016, what is happening today, he would have enough material for 10-15 90-minute comedy specials.

Meh... His early stuff was pretty good (I have "Icebox Man" memorized word-for-word) but his later years were nothing but political tripe.

Meh... His early stuff was pretty good (I have "Icebox Man" memorized word-for-word) but his later years were nothing but political tripe.

He was extremely funny to me, at least into the 80's. After that, maybe his material wasn't as good, maybe his shtick got old, maybe expectations were too high, or maybe he just lost a little of the magic. But he had real insight into the funny things about people.

Class Clown and the 7 words... Unfortunately, current PC culture would have been his downfall just as Mel Brooks stated regarding Blazing Saddles... the end of true comedy.

Had the privilege of seeing him twice in concert. He had a great knack for his observation and delivery. Loved his Catholic stuff and a great bit about Euphemisms

Greatest stand up comedian ever

He always gave you his humor and insight in social issues.

Carlin = the best observational comedian of all time. I too got to see him in concert way back when. One of my favorite jokes of his, and I'm oft known to repeat it if I hear someone say "hot water heater."

"It's a f***ing COLD water heater. If the water was hot it wouldn't need to be heated!"

Carlin on boarding airplanes: About this time, someone is telling you to get on the plane. "Get on the plane. Get on the plane." I say, "f*** you, I'm getting IN the plane! IN the plane! Let Evil Knievel get ON the plane!

Hmm, swimming in raw sewage. As a way of building your immune system.

Sounds kinda like playing Russian Roulette, as a way of building your invulnerability to bullets.

While I always enjoy seeing old Carlin performances, I have to ask why @Morgan3820's respect for Carlin's work "is new found."

[Rhetorical question, get back to the thread]

When my son was a toddler 20+ years ago, he loved Thomas the Tank Engine, so we had many of the video stories. Carlin was the narrator on some of them. I had trouble keeping a straight face while listening to him narrate a child's story, as his voice kept evoking the 7 words and the hippie-dippie weatherman.

Back