[NA]Peeves

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I did not see a recent thread so have started a new one.

Is there a new law that makes EVERY website warn us of the horrors they are about to inflict upon us with their cookies?
Come on, cookies have been around forever.

"This site uses cookies, you have been warned. By using this site you agree to our placement of cookies all over the harddrive/powersupply/motherboard/even the keypad, yes your fingers will touch our cookies." (while blocking 1/3 of the page)
And the only option offered is "YES! I accept!" (if that truly is the only option, why bother with the flipping huge, annoying warning?!)

Feeling better, thanks for allowing this (cookie-free) rant.

How about the Apple update to your iTunes that refuses to go away. Then when you try to click on the X it says "not responding" then if you do it again it will give you the old, "trying to fix the problem" again then it says, "sending a message to..."

And every website has info how they are handling Covid19. I really don’t care what you’re doing, as heartless as it seems. Unless it directly, in person, affects me, it’s just warm fuzzies for the lawyers.

Yup. GDPR.

Also recently upheld that refusing the cookies must NOT disallow access to the website.

GDPR carries fines as high as 10% of GROSS revenues for violations.

California has a similar thing brewing in their slow definitions of what their State specific but utterly vague law means.

Expect more.

To survive the commercial Internet has to track you and sell ads and such to you.

Government wants to tell you that you’re being tracked explicitly but does not want to limit what is tracked. (Tracking children is a major exception and YouTube got hammered by it. Expect companies to start asking your age, because of those laws, even if they have no legitimate reason other than those to know.)

It’s basically a way to pretend to care. None of the collected fines will be used to fix it. It’ll just be a new tax revenue source for the EU at current levels of software quality and human error.

I've had my own "wars" with IEEE over GDPR. I'm not in the EU and I don't care what their laws are. Don't try to foist that garbage on me. Didn't work, they foisted it anyway. So much for each country making their own laws. Grumble, grumble...

I've had my own "wars" with IEEE over GDPR. I'm not in the EU and I don't care what their laws are. Don't try to foist that garbage on me. Didn't work, they foisted it anyway. So much for each country making their own laws. Grumble, grumble...
Problem is the net does not differentiate if your are in Europe or a European citizen. The law was written in such a way it covers companies who do business in Europe and they have European citizens who are customers outside of Europe.

Due to tech and anonymity limitations, By default it will become a default for most sites.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Does anybody really give S*** about privacy anymore? It is impossible to be "private" unless you have never owned a phone, had an address, were not born in the USA, don't have a SSAN, etc, etc, etc or were born on a remote Island and never contacted another human being after your mother dies in childbirth.

When the Chinese Government stole my life history from the USA Office of Personnel Management, I gave up.

Cheers

Back