Old David Clark H10-40. Should it work in a modern avionics panel?

MacFly

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MacFly
New here...got my pilot's license more than 50 years ago, flew about 1000 hours until 1991, then stopped. Now, I decided to get back in the cockpit after 3 decades...I'm in the middle of somewhat longer Flight Review than I've had in the past. I note that there have been some changes in aviation over the last 30 years...:).

Anyway, I bought my trusty old David Clark H10-40's a long, long time ago and used them successfully in a variety of aircraft with an intercom box and velcro PTT switch. They worked great, as I remember. When I went out for my new Flight Review in a good old Skyhawk, I noted a new Bendix-King avionics panel and two-plug GA jacks all around. Cool! Unfortunately, after plugging the DC's in, I noted that although I could hear my instructor and CTAF well, he couldn't hear me, nor could the FBO on CTAF. I ended up using a pair of Lightspeeds that my CFI had and they worked fine. I ended up buying a Bose A20, but I'd like to rehab those otherwise good-condition David Clarks if that makes sense.

Is it reasonable to guess that the old M4 microphone on those H10-40's is shot? Or do you think there might be insufficient bias voltage in the avionics panel to drive that old electret microphone? Should a 30+ year-old headset still work with a modern avionics panel?

Anyway, I see that I can buy a new David Clark M7 microphone as a replacement for about $50...looks like about a 5 minute job to swap out. Reasonable thing to try?

My nearly 20 year old 10-30s have worked in everything from a Waco to a DA-42.

Good advice from Rgbeard.

Also, David Clark has a great reputation for customer service. Call them up and ask for a quote on a refurbishment.

When I sent my DC H10-13.4 headset back to them for a new cord it came back repaired, at a reasonable cost. It also had new gel seals on both ears and a new mike muff - gratis! Tell them it is a forty year old headset and you are getting back into aviation.

-Skip

New here...got my pilot's license more than 50 years ago, flew about 1000 hours until 1991, then stopped. Now, I decided to get back in the cockpit after 3 decades...I'm in the middle of somewhat longer Flight Review than I've had in the past. I note that there have been some changes in aviation over the last 30 years...:).

Anyway, I bought my trusty old David Clark H10-40's a long, long time ago and used them successfully in a variety of aircraft with an intercom box and velcro PTT switch. They worked great, as I remember. When I went out for my new Flight Review in a good old Skyhawk, I noted a new Bendix-King avionics panel and two-plug GA jacks all around. Cool! Unfortunately, after plugging the DC's in, I noted that although I could hear my instructor and CTAF well, he couldn't hear me, nor could the FBO on CTAF. I ended up using a pair of Lightspeeds that my CFI had and they worked fine. I ended up buying a Bose A20, but I'd like to rehab those otherwise good-condition David Clarks if that makes sense.

Is it reasonable to guess that the old M4 microphone on those H10-40's is shot? Or do you think there might be insufficient bias voltage in the avionics panel to drive that old electret microphone? Should a 30+ year-old headset still work with a modern avionics panel?

Anyway, I see that I can buy a new David Clark M7 microphone as a replacement for about $50...looks like about a 5 minute job to swap out. Reasonable thing to try?

Similar experience. I sat out 1992-2012. Where did all the TCAs and TRSAs and ATAs go? My DCs are 1988. When I scheduled my flight review, I asked the instructor "Should I bring my Dick Clark's?"

Two things to suggest. Are you sure the plug was in all the way? (BTDT) Also, my DC plugs were heavily tarnished. A little kitchen scouring pad and Brasso cleaned them up and really helped clean up the signal.

Last edited:
Similar similar experience. I sat out 1992-2012. Where did all the TCAs and TRSAs and ATAs go? My DCs are 1988. When I scheduled my flight review, I asked the instructor "Should I bring my Dick Clark's?"

Two things to suggest. Are you sure the plug was in all the way? (BTDT) Also, my DC plugs were heavily tarnished. A little kitchen scouring pad and Brasso cleaned them up and really helped clean up the signal.
LOL. My last flight as PIC was a CAP mission in 1991. We marked locations with LORAN. There was no GPS in airplanes (there was barely GPS at all). Glass cockpit? iPad? Inconceivable back then. Modern aviation is exceedingly cool. Lots to learn, but at least the planes fly the same. I'd been flying for a decade by the time these 172's I'm flying were built.

Good tips about the plugs, thanks...they are both indeed tarnished, and no...I'm not positive that I plugged the microphone jack in all the way. I'm going back out tomorrow hoping to finish what I expect is my last flight review for 2 years. It's a different 172, so I'll take the Dick Clarks with me and give it another try. I'll probably replace the microphone anyway...reportedly the new M7's are way better at noise cancelling than the M4 that's in there.

Last edited:
A few years ago I found my old cheap, passive headset I had as a student. I plugged them in thinking I would have a spare for a passenger. The headset didn't work.

They were cheaply made back then, they do not improve with age. I threw it away.

My H10-40s of ~30 years both worked last October. One had the Headsets Inc active noise suppression kit installed maybe 25+ years ago. They all worked just like new.

I read this title and thought you were installing modern avionics in a DC10-40. Now I’m disappointed. :)
That would be cool. Sorry for the misleading title. Should have read "DC H10-40"

It's just the squeeze on your head that would be the problem. Actually, I've seen some cases where DC's when used with other headphones on the same flight have caused some older intercom's autosquelch to not work well, those were ancient Sigtronics and NAT intercoms.

I wouldn’t waste $50 in trying to get those to function. Use the A20’s you bought and forget about the David Clark’s.

You’ll want ANR after you try some. But keep the DCs. Great for backup and passengers when needed.

There’s always spare DCs in our hangar too. Useful if you decide it’s nice enough for a local flight and the flight bag is at home, but the iPad is with you.

If you’re restarting from long ago, you’re going to love the iPad thing.

You’ll want ANR after you try some. But keep the DCs. Great for backup and passengers when needed.

There’s always spare DCs in our hangar too. Useful if you decide it’s nice enough for a local flight and the flight bag is at home, but the iPad is with you.

If you’re restarting from long ago, you’re going to love the iPad thing.

Yeah, I bought an A20 headset. Seems to work pretty well.

That old David Clark is in good shape. I figure spending $50 to have an extra headset of that quality is a reasonable deal.

The iPad concept of flying is interesting. Certainly no shortage of things to plug into that one poor little 12 cigarette lighter socket.....`Apple has made things a little complicated given the various charging cords, connectors, and charging options. My flight bag is now full of adapters and charging cables, including USB-A, USB-C, lightning, PD chargers etc. And now I also have to throw in extra batteries for the VHF handheld, headset, etc as well as remember to charge the Sentry ADS-B In. And a handheld VHF comm radio that will fly a VOR or ILS! What a hoot...!

Last edited:
And here I thought this thread was going to be about a McDonell Douglas DC-10 that had been converted to a glass cockpit.

DC-10-40
The first long-range version fitted with Pratt & Whitney JT9D engines. Originally designated DC-10-20, this model was renamed DC-10-40 after a special request from Northwest Orient Airlines as the aircraft was much improved compared to its original design, with a higher MTOW (on par with the Series 30) and more powerful engines. The airline's president wanted to advertise he had the latest version.[28][34] The company also wanted its aircraft to be equipped with the same engines as its Boeing 747s for fleet commonality.[35] Northwest Orient Airlines and Japan Airlines were the only airlines to order the Series 40 with 22 and 20 aircraft, respectively. Engine improvements led to the DC-10-40s delivered to Northwest featuring Pratt & Whitney JT9D-20 engines producing 50,000 lbf (222 kN) of thrust and a MTOW of 555,000 lb (251,815 kg). The -40s for Japan Airlines were equipped with P&W JT9D-59A engines that produced a thrust of 53,000 lbf (235.8 kN) and a MTOW of 565,000 lb (256,350 kg).[27] 42 were built from 1973 to 1983.[36] Externally, the DC-10-40 can be distinguished from the -30 series by a slight bulge near the front of the nacelle for the #2 (tail) engine.

heh heh...sorry guys. DC10's are just not part of my aviation world. Their association with the erroneous thread title never even entered my mind.

I read this title and thought you were installing modern avionics in a DC10-40. Now I’m disappointed. :)

You know - I was on the same path......

Putting in a new microphone for $50 to have a back up pair? Why not. I would first call David Clark customer support. They might have suggestions, and heck - if you ask nice there's a 1 /10 chance they might even just send you the part.

I did call David Clark. He said that that old headset should work fine in any modern avionics panel and that a new microphone was a reasonable rehab choice. A new one is on the way...curious to see if it works.

I did call David Clark. He said that that old headset should work fine in any modern avionics panel and that a new microphone was a reasonable rehab choice. A new one is on the way...curious to see if it works.
Nice! Curious, did you have to buy it, or did they just send it to you as a courtesy? I've heard of the legendary customer service from DC - just wondered how far it might go.

They just sent it. Easy install.

hey, @MacFly - you can use thread tools to correct your thread title to DC H10 instead of DC10. It's in the top right corner ;)

The microphone install is just one screw connecting it to the boom and two small phillips head screws to connect the wires.

Bit late to the party by I have 4 David Clark H-10-40s and they all work fine, but two of them needed some work after a 20 ish year vacation. One had a com cord that failed a wiggle test. Com cords are a $75 part. Another one had crumbly ear foam and that's about a $10 fix. All of them needed new gel ear seals and that's a $15 to $50 fix depending on brand.

I would not personally replace the M4 mic in a H10-40 with another M4, I'd get an M7 instead. Hopefully DC sent you an M7.

The microphone install is just one screw connecting it to the boom and two small phillips head screws to connect the wires.

Bit late to the party by I have 4 David Clark H-10-40s and they all work fine, but two of them needed some work after a 20 ish year vacation. One had a com cord that failed a wiggle test. Com cords are a $75 part. Another one had crumbly ear foam and that's about a $10 fix. All of them needed new gel ear seals and that's a $15 to $50 fix depending on brand.

I would not personally replace the M4 mic in a H10-40 with another M4, I'd get an M7 instead. Hopefully DC sent you an M7.

Yeah. M7. The headset works great now...no issues.

Back