Paoli, Indiana runway extension

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Seen this picture on Facebook. U Liek?

x35.jpg

Well, I think the prevailing winds will be for landing on 20, and this is the approach end of 2, but still, try not to overrun that runway either.

Seen this picture on Facebook. U Liek?

Well, I think the prevailing winds will be for landing on 20, and this is the approach end of 2, but still, try not to overrun that runway either.

That's a lot of terraforming, considering it is such a flat state.

Wow. Looks like something you'd find in the Yucatan jungle. Lots of work for a pretty small town airfield. Are they going to employ a full time LSO?

Nice Photoshop. I do know Paoli has Indiana's finest ski runs. Now, the picture would have been more believable if there was a ski run and a chair lift at the end of the runway. (Here's a picture of the actual runway if anyone is reality oriented).

08794.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of 'shops, here's the concept sketch from the environmental assessment report for the runway extension project.

x36.jpg

The NOTAM is "AD AP CLSD 2004252125-2008012359".

Wow. Looks like something you'd find in the Yucatan jungle.
Pretty much what a local journalist thought too:
"The runway extension would make Paoli’s airport unique by creating a 400-foot vegetated, mechanically stabilized earth wall that Dillard said would look like a pyramid in the woods. Lambert said it is already a buzzing topic in aviation circles."

What's puzzling though, the 2017 federal infrastructure grant was only $1.5 million. There's no way to move that much earth and pour concrete for the stabilizing container for that much, I think.

South part by the Ohio river can get a little hilly.

Grew up a Hoosier (“who’s your Daddy?”).....northern half flat....used to ride a bicycle rally around Brown County aptly named The Hilly Hundred.

As well as much of the state SSW of Indy...from Bloomington down thru French Lick and on south to the Ohio. Beautiful country.

Looking at it from an airport design/managerial standpoint, I can see the FAA funding anything like that. There is no safety area to the sides and especially the end. Look at Charleston WV. While it could be done, it'd be cheaper to move an airport that size.

Looking at it from an airport design/managerial standpoint, I can see the FAA funding anything like that. There is no safety area to the sides and especially the end.
You do realize that the construction is almost completed, don't you?

FAA funding anything like that. There is no safety area to the sides and especially the end. Look at Charleston WV. While it could be done
CRW was what came to mind for me too and don't forget that their built up piece they put the EMAS on collapsed during heavy rains a few years back.

From what I hear the new extension at MGW on the south end is going to look similar to the above photo, an unofficial handshake agreement going back to WVU joining the Big 12.

Grew up a Hoosier (“who’s your Daddy?”).....northern half flat....used to ride a bicycle rally around Brown County aptly named The Hilly Hundred.
I would say the northern 2/3rd. Around Martinsville is where the hills seem to start to me.

Back